Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:11 AM   #1
CoolBradG
macrumors regular

[Confirmed] Verizon Unlimited Loophole

Requirements
-Grandfathered family plan
-Upgrade Available (Transfer and use on dumb phone)
-At least 1 dumb phone line

Basically you use the dummy line to get the subsidized pricing and add on the basic 2GB data plan. Then once you get the iPhone you switch it to your unlimited data line and put the dumb phone back to its line and cancel the data plan (no penalty) since it's no longer needed.

An online rep confirmed this: https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/780799

Edit: Linked the wrong thread, sorry!

Edit 2: Confirmed via phone rep as well.

Last edited by CoolBradG; Sep 18, 2012 at 03:54 PM.
CoolBradG is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:23 AM   #2
applesith
macrumors 68000

Yes, using an alternate upgrade doesn't trigger a new contract for your current unlimited plan. I have called VZW 5 times and they are consistent with this. I have tried getting my 10/10 date moved up but they suggest the alternate upgrade as a way to get a new phone with unlimited every time.
applesith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:24 AM   #3
CoolBradG
macrumors regular

Just got off the line with a rep. You can cancel the newly added plan as long as you move the dumb phone back to its line!

SCORE! iPhone 5 tonight for me!!!
CoolBradG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:25 AM   #4
ROLLTIDE1
macrumors 6502a

no way to do this without a family plan is there ?
ROLLTIDE1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:26 AM   #5
CoolBradG
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLTIDE1 View Post
no way to do this without a family plan is there ?
Nope, you have to have a grandfathered family plan with at least 1 dumb phone on it.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:28 AM   #6
ROLLTIDE1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBradG View Post
Nope, you have to have a grandfathered family plan with at least 1 dumb phone on it.

that's what I figured looks like it's $650+ for me . Thanks for the info
ROLLTIDE1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:38 AM   #7
CoolBradG
macrumors regular

Quote:
Yeah I almost was hesitant about paying full tonight so now I'm glad I won't have to.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:45 PM   #8
skywalkerr69
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Family plan is not required.
skywalkerr69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:25 AM   #9
iPadlover123
macrumors member

Would this work if the family plan has 2 smart phones? 1 on unlimited data and one on 2gb?

Could I get the iPhone 5 with the line that's already capped at 2gb, then switch it over to the unlimited line?
iPadlover123 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:43 AM   #10
CoolBradG
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPadlover123 View Post
Would this work if the family plan has 2 smart phones? 1 on unlimited data and one on 2gb?

Could I get the iPhone 5 with the line that's already capped at 2gb, then switch it over to the unlimited line?
You should be able to.
CoolBradG is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:54 AM   #11
tmoney468
macrumors 6502

So just to question this, here's my situation:

I am off contract now and have unlimited data. According to your directions I would:

--Add a new line to my account, pre-order the iPhone on this new line and add the 2gb data.

--Once I get the iPhone, transfer it to my primary account that has the unlimited data, and then convert the add-on line to a basic phone at $9.99 a month

Anything else I'm missing? Should I create the add on line today, or will I have to do it tomorrow morning when I preorder the iPhone?
tmoney468 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:02 AM   #12
tmoney468
macrumors 6502

Just tried to add a new line onto my account online, and it only gives me these options:

Your current plan is no longer available based on the devices you've selected. Please select from the new plan options.
Some plans are not available based on the combination of devices selected.

You currently have an Unlimited Data package on one or more lines on your account. The Unlimited Data package is no longer available. To continue, please select a new Data Option for all of the lines on your plan. You will not be able to go back to your current Unlimited Data package.

I can only select the Share Everything plans, there are no other plans to select
tmoney468 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:07 AM   #13
CoolBradG
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoney468 View Post
Just tried to add a new line onto my account online, and it only gives me these options:

Your current plan is no longer available based on the devices you've selected. Please select from the new plan options.

You currently have an Unlimited Data package on one or more lines on your account. The Unlimited Data package is no longer available. To continue, please select a new Data Option for all of the lines on your plan. You will not be able to go back to your current Unlimited Data package.

I can only select the Share Everything plans, there are no other plans to select
This only works for existing lines. Any new lines of service will force a change to a shared plan.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:08 AM   #14
infinity12402
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoney468 View Post

thats most likely because youre off contract. youre on a month to month basis right now. so i doubt youll be able to keep your unlimited unless you buy the phone outright. and even then they can always cancel your plan since youre off contract anyway.
infinity12402 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:19 AM   #15
myworld2008
macrumors regular

MY Chat with VZW support.

Please hold for a Verizon Wireless sales representative to assist you with your order. Thank you for your patience.
You are now chatting with 'Shelly'
Shelly: Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat service. May I help you with your order today?
You: hi i have some question about upgrading the lines on my account
Shelly: I'd be happy to assist you.
You: question one: if i order iPhone 5 on line 1 and 2
(which are non smartphone right now) then once i get the iphones can i change those iphone to other two lines (which has unlimited data rightnow)?
Shelly: Yes you can activate the phones on other lines.
You: so i upgrade line 1 and line 2(non smartphone) to iphone 5 and when i get phone i will put those new iphone on line 3 and 4 lines (current smartphone with unlimited data).
You: so the unlimited plan which i have on line 3 and 4 .. can i still keep that on new iphone 5s?
Shelly: Yes
Shelly: Long as you not upgrading the lines with the unlimited data on it, you will keep the plan on the account.
You: and can i remove the data plans after i activate non smart phone on upgraded lines
Shelly: Correct, long as you placing basic phones on that line.
You: ok so here is what i CAN do: just to make sure: I will order upgrade on line 1 and 2 lines with data plan 2gb each. then i will change new phone to other two lines with unlimited data right now and i will activate non smart phone again on line 1 and 2 and than i will remove the 2 gb data from this two upgraded line. All this is possible and i will keep unlimted data on NON upgraded line with iphone 5?
Shelly: Correct
You: ok thanks for your help.
myworld2008 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:02 AM   #16
halfmonkey
macrumors regular

Sorry, but I'm not quite following. Can someone help me clarify? Do you need to create a new line on a family share plan or do you use an exisiting line?

We currently have a family share plan with 5 lines. 2 smart phones and 3 dumb phones. I believe one or two of our dumb phones are available for upgrades. If I'm understanding the thread correctly, we ask the sales rep to upgrade one of the dumb phone lines to the iPhone 5 and add the tiered data plan with the dumb phone being disconnected from service (momentarily). We then ask the sales rep to transfer the iphone 5 to my line (one of the smart phone lines) and immediately re-connect the (just recently) disconnected dumb phone and remove the tiered data plan.

Am I understanding this correctly?
halfmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:09 AM   #17
CoolBradG
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmonkey View Post
Sorry, but I'm not quite following. Can someone help me clarify? Do you need to create a new line on a family share plan or do you use an exisiting line?

We currently have a family share plan with 5 lines. 2 smart phones and 3 dumb phones. I believe one or two of our dumb phones are available for upgrades. If I'm understanding the thread correctly, we ask the sales rep to upgrade one of the dumb phone lines to the iPhone 5 and add the tiered data plan with the dumb phone being disconnected from service (momentarily). We then ask the sales rep to transfer the iphone 5 to my line (one of the smart phone lines) and immediately re-connect the (just recently) disconnected dumb phone and remove the tiered data plan.

Am I understanding this correctly?
Yes. I believe you have to wait until you receive the phone in the mail though to switch everything around and cancel the data.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:24 PM   #18
suMMx
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPadlover123 View Post

So I want to do this, but the other 2gb capped plan is under contract with a 4s. can i Transfer my eligible upgrade to that phone's capped line, then buy the phone on that line. After, transfer the phone back to my line without losing the unlimited data?

I don't mind being under contract for 2 more years, I just don't want to be capped
suMMx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:13 AM   #19
Drew n macs
macrumors member

I will have an upgrade avail next month, and glad I saw this!

Whats everyones opinion... is this easiser to do this loop hole with verizon on the phone or in the Verizon store. Would I have to wait a day to swap everything or can I do this all at once?
Drew n macs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:14 AM   #20
infinity12402
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew n macs View Post
I will have an upgrade avail next month, and glad I saw this!

Whats everyones opinion... is this easiser to do this loop hole with verizon on the phone or in the Verizon store. Would I have to wait a day to swap everything or can I do this all at once?
i wouldnt do it in the store. they may try and hook you into a tiered plan. i would do it online. they cant tell you no once youve ordered it already
infinity12402 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:31 AM   #21
tigerfan41
macrumors regular

OK, I have a question (and forgive me if it's already been answered):

I currently have unlimited data on my line and an upgrade available on that same line. Unless I'm understanding things wrong, couldn't I transfer this upgrade to another line on my account, get the 5 on that line, then bring the 5 over to my line and keep unlimited data? Also, is this going to trigger a bunch of line upgrade fees?
tigerfan41 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:37 AM   #22
jmo1116
macrumors regular

So what you're telling me is this: I have a family plan with 4 smartphones and 1 dumb phone. I have one upgrade available (a smartphone). I can transfer the available upgrade to the dumb phone, upgrade to iPhone 5, and then add a data plan to that line, then transfer the iPhone 5 to one of the smartphone lines and keep unlimited data that I had before?
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:34 PM   #23
NovemberWhiskey
macrumors 65816

I'm not even sure you need a dumbphone, or need to actually activate the iphone on the dumbphone line and then switch.

To my understanding, and from my past experience, you can use any upgrade available to get the new phone at a subsidized price. Once you actually receive the phone, you can activate it on any line.

I've done this before without any problems with regard to my unlimited data plan, but that was before the new policy regarding unlimited data and the tiered family share plans. However, I don't see how the changes would affect their activation/upgrade policy.

I'll update again once I do it this time around.
NovemberWhiskey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:39 PM   #24
SipperyPete
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovemberWhiskey View Post
I'm not even sure you need a dumbphone, or need to actually activate the iphone on the dumbphone line and then switch.

To my understanding, and from my past experience, you can use any upgrade available to get the new phone at a subsidized price. Once you actually receive the phone, you can activate it on any line.

I've done this before without any problems with regard to my unlimited data plan, but that was before the new policy regarding unlimited data and the tiered family share plans. However, I don't see how the changes would affect their activation/upgrade policy.

I'll update again once I do it this time around.
This is correct...according to Apple anyway. They told me to just order the new phone using the phone number where the upgrade is eligible, and as soon as I receive it, call VZW to have it activated on the correct line. This is how I'm going about it and I'll also provide an update on how it goes...

Cheers!
SipperyPete is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:51 PM   #25
browerjs
macrumors member

So I'm going to be getting two iPhone 5's tonight, one for my wife, one for myself.

She uses nowhere near 2GB of data a month, so for her I'll just do a standard upgrade from VZW (and save $50 using some promotion on our account). My dad has a dumb phone on the account, and no intention to upgrade anytime soon, so I'll order my upgrade on his line. When I get the iPhone 5, just call VZW to activate it on my line.

Now if he does want to upgrade at some point, he'll have to use my upgrade, will I lose my unlimited data at that point?
browerjs is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone