Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:19 PM   #1
b24pgg
macrumors 65816

Does the iPhone 5 have a notification light?

The camera flash doesn't count
b24pgg is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:19 PM   #2
BlueGummiBear
macrumors 6502a

Location: Bouncing here, bouncing there, bouncing everywhere!
No.
BlueGummiBear is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:22 PM   #3
scottick
macrumors newbie

No, but you can order one of these, which comes with a notification light.
scottick is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:24 PM   #4
travis64
macrumors 6502

yes the led from the camera
travis64 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:27 PM   #5
AustinIllini
macrumors Demi-God

No. I don't miss the days of the flashing light DROID. Unnecessary.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:53 PM   #6
Cooknn
macrumors 68020

So, if you miss the initial notification, how do you know you have something new?
Cooknn is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 11:59 AM   #7
hexonxonx
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinIllini View Post
No. I don't miss the days of the flashing light DROID. Unnecessary.
I rarely pay attention to the flashing light on my Nexus 4.
hexonxonx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:01 AM   #8
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Actually, there are 727,040 notification lights on the iPhone 5. It's called the display.

Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:04 AM   #9
protobiont
macrumors 6502

Keep it in your pocket or glance at the display.

If something is so important that you need an instant notification, probably best to keep the phone on you. If your a super important/busy/social person, you'll probably get so much email and other notifications that the notification light will be blinking most the time anyways.

Also, why would the flash not count?
protobiont is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 12:20 AM   #10
MathewWagner
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottick View Post

No, but you can order one of these, which comes with a notification
led light
I think new iPhone is coming with notification light. But I still feel samsung note 2 is much better and cheaper then iPhone

Last edited by MathewWagner; Jun 7, 2013 at 11:21 AM.
MathewWagner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 12:54 AM   #11
AnorexicPig
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewWagner View Post
I think new iPhone is coming with notification light. But I still feel samsung note 2 is much better and cheaper then iPhone
Better and Cheaper eh ,so you made an account this month to tell us all how much better and cheaper it is-- bravo

And oh yes, also to tell us all that new iPhone is coming with a notification light which no rumor or tech site has so far indicated ! Please tell me more.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:09 AM   #12
vikingjunior
macrumors 6502

Pathetic even my $5 charger has a led on it.
vikingjunior is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:14 AM   #13
lulla01
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to lulla01
No and don't even get me started this is my biggest annoyance with the iPhone. A notification light is essential.
lulla01 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 02:06 PM   #14
skidbubble
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulla01 View Post
No and don't even get me started this is my biggest annoyance with the iPhone. A notification light is essential.
Exactly. Every person here is saying they don't want one, it's not necessary, etc. But you can bet your winning lottery ticket if the iPhone had one, those same people would be bragging about what an awesome, groundbreaking, revolutionary feature it is.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:05 PM   #15
Matthew9559
macrumors 6502a

Actually the iPhone does. It's an option to turn on under accessibility options. Settings > General > Accessibility > LED Flash.

EDIT: Looks like I am late to the party. :P
Matthew9559 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:24 AM   #16
kingestkong
macrumors newbie

To me it's very simple. Put an led notification light on the front and give users an option to turn it off. This way, everyone is satisfied.

Personally, this is my biggest gripe with the iPhone. I had this on the BB and thought it made a lot more sense to glance at the phone than to light up the screen all the time. Especially if you're in business environments.
kingestkong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:41 AM   #17
mikeydeezy
macrumors 6502a

I love the Apple Geniuses (see what I did there?) that complain of wasting battery life with 1 LED light and yet suggest powering your screen every time you think you missed something.

Never change, Macrumors.
mikeydeezy is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:55 PM   #18
takeshi74
macrumors 601

(nm)
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:00 PM   #19
Phil A.
macrumors 68040

Personally I'd like to see one implemented behind the home button (as a few others have said already) - a subtle pulsing light under there (like the sleep light on my MBP) would be pretty cool
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:18 PM   #20
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Not gonna argue the merits but a light would be against Apple's zen-like design simplicity philosophy.
Mrbobb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:17 AM   #21
iphonenub
macrumors regular

Am I the only one here that doesn't want a light? I've used android phones with them and they weren't very helpful. They just told me what I already knew. If you need to know about notifications, set the notifications to repeat X times. If you leave your phone and come back, press the home button.

Most androids are getting rid of the lights so I doubt apple will pick them up.
iphonenub is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:31 AM   #22
bunnicula
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphonenub View Post
Am I the only one here that doesn't want a light? I've used android phones with them and they weren't very helpful. They just told me what I already knew. If you need to know about notifications, set the notifications to repeat X times. If you leave your phone and come back, press the home button.

No. You're not. I've never even considered it. This may be another reason why I love iPhones. No extra-annoying flashy lights.

I am reminded of how much the flashy light on Bluetooth headsets that jerks wear in darkened movie theaters annoys the hell outta me.
bunnicula is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:36 PM   #23
b24pgg
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Source? My Moto Droid 4 has one, the RAZRs have one, and the Galaxy S3 has one. All are the newest Android iterations from each manufacturer.
b24pgg is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:01 PM   #24
fchowd0311
Banned

Quote:

No most androids are not getting rid of the lights seeing as the flagship android phone nexus 4 uses them and are highly customize-able as the nexus lights are full rgb and can display almost any color. And saying they cannot be useful is plain ignorant. There are plenty of situations were they are useful. For example, I take a shower and have my phone in another room so I cannot physically hear any notification from my phone. I leave the shower and from my color set up I can see if I have a missed call, email, text, Facebook message etc without even physically going to my phone. If I see no flashing light there is no reason to even approach my phone. It also almost "forces" me to check my phone. If there was no light and that same situation happened were I left the shower, I probably wouldn't even pay attention to the phone and probably view a message late. A flashing light just makes me check the phone.

So basically its particularly useful when you leave your phone for some amount of time, either going to the bathroom, gym or physical sport were you place your phone away etc.
fchowd0311 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:05 PM   #25
C DM
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fchowd0311 View Post
No most androids are not getting rid of the lights seeing as the flagship android phone nexus 4 uses them and are highly customize-able as the nexus lights are full rgb and can display almost any color. And saying they cannot be useful is plain ignorant. There are plenty of situations were they are useful. For example, I take a shower and have my phone in another room so I cannot physically hear any notification from my phone. I leave the shower and from my color set up I can see if I have a missed call, email, text, Facebook message etc without even physically going to my phone. If I see no flashing light there is no reason to even approach my phone. It also almost "forces" me to check my phone. If there was no light and that same situation happened were I left the shower, I probably wouldn't even pay attention to the phone and probably view a message late. A flashing light just makes me check the phone.

So basically its particularly useful when you leave your phone for some amount of time, either going to the bathroom, gym or physical sport were you place your phone away etc.
This is exactly right, and it's definitely one of the bigger things that the iPhone has been missing.
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone