Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:02 PM   #1
designs216
macrumors 65816

Credit Card Processing for Freelancers?

I have a client who wants to pay via credit card, which I don't normally accept. Since Google Checkout and PayPal seem more than somewhat shifty, I'm looking at Square. Has anyone here used them?

Last edited by designs216; Sep 17, 2012 at 04:03 PM. Reason: spelling edit
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:36 PM   #2
brisbaneguy29
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to brisbaneguy29 Send a message via MSN to brisbaneguy29 Send a message via Skype™ to brisbaneguy29
Not sure what you think is Shifty about PayPal or Google Checkout, although I have never used Google so I can't say from personal experience, but I didn't think it had a bad reputation in general.

I can give you my experience with PayPal, and to be honest I think it is great. I have never had an issue, I use it to receive payments, make payments and issue refunds, and I have never had an issue.

I do quite a few transactions a month, and I certainly don't think it is shifty, I also think it is your best bet for receiving Credit Card payments as a freelancer.

There are fees involved, but I think that is a small price for a system thats is easy to use and setup. I also use PayMate, and give my clients the option of what they want to use. The fees are about the same, so it really doesn't matter to me.

I have not used Square before, so I can't offer an opinion on that one, but I really don't consider PayPal shifty.
W: http://www.webcrowd.com.au
brisbaneguy29 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:38 PM   #3
Slovak
macrumors regular

Either PayPal or Square is fine. PayPal makes it easier to send payment via email, Square is great for processing actual credit cards.
Slovak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:23 AM   #4
fig
macrumors 6502a

I must've missed where Paypal seemed shifty. Google Checkout is a pretty reputable service as well, but I've used Paypal a number of times with no issues.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:35 AM   #5
btbrossard
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by fig View Post
I must've missed where Paypal seemed shifty.
These are just from September.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-575...count-dispute/

http://beta.fool.com/ddelony/2012/09...y-sorry/11706/

http://allthingsd.com/20120907/paypa...e-now-face-it/

http://www.netmagazine.com/news/payp...s-anger-122212
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:38 AM   #6
designs216
macrumors 65816

Many thanks for the responses. Anyone else want to weigh in?
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:19 AM   #7
fig
macrumors 6502a

No argument that that's less than ideal, but for a company that size you're always going to have a few horror stories out of what I'm guessing are millions of accounts. Those four stories center around primarily one event and even the user involved sounded impressed with their eventual response to him.

I thought this quote was telling, from one of your articles:

Quote:
Ive written previous stories raising the question of whether the PayPal brand has been irrevocably tarnished by a constant stream of negative media reports even if those reports appear to be coming from a vocal minority.
The vocal minority part being the interesting bit, you always hear the squeaky wheel.

Not that I'm defending Paypal, they've obviously had some issues and need to correct them (and sounds like their CEO is taking steps to do so). But to write an entire company off as "shifty" because of some loud customer service complaints seems a bit extreme.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:39 AM   #8
NiftyMac
macrumors newbie

I use Square in my small business, highly recommend them! Payments get deposited into your personal/business bank account(s) within 1-2 days (3 the latest) of taking payment. Max transaction limit is 999.99, although that shouldn't be a problem for you. You get charged 2.5% per swipe, 3.5% if its input rather then swiped. (If your smart, you will add it in the price you charge)

I ordered my reader directly from Square it took like 2-3 weeks for me to receive the free card reader. If I would have known that my local bestbuy had them for $10, I would have got it from them. So far I haven't had any issues with Square, and refunding payments are a breeze. Hope this helps!

Cheers
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:42 AM   #9
UTclassof89
macrumors 6502

I've been using Square for about a year and love it. Payments are easy and fast (they get deposited into your linked bank account that evening).
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:18 PM   #10
baypharm
macrumors 6502a

Square or PayAnywhere are cc processors for individuals and businesses. Both have comparable rates. In my experience Square gets my vote as they allow you to change bank account information online - whereas with PayAnywhere it involves filling out forms and faxing those to a processing center. Square also has no monthly fees.

Intuit's GoPayment requires credit approval - Square and PayAnywhere do not.

PayPal is not a credit card processor in the traditional sense. You cannot swipe a cc and have it deposited into your PayPal account. I realize there are many PayPal fans here but I am not one of them.
baypharm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:11 PM   #11
DJ Al B Bad
macrumors newbie

I use Square and PayPal's Here which are almost identical and both offer free card readers. I like both services and both work great.

Square deposits into your bank account within 24 - 72 hours

PayPal Here deposits into your PayPal account immediately for use and if you have a PayPal CC you can also use the funds immediately that way if you want.

There are some that complain that they are rejected during the application process for PayPal Here but its because they do true identity verification questions and if youre not forthcoming or answer incorrectly, due to impatience, you will fail and be denied - a very simple process.

Last edited by DJ Al B Bad; Oct 26, 2012 at 02:29 PM.
DJ Al B Bad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:41 AM   #12
AFPoster
macrumors 65816

I use Square and it's great. Just prepare yourself to know the calculation to "add" on the additional 3.5% or 2.75% fee so it's not coming out of your end.
iPhone 5s 16gb
AFPoster is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics