Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:44 PM   #1
CtotheP
macrumors member

Minimum storage should be 32/64/128 GB

Across ALL lines of iPod/iPad/iPhones. With all media being digital these days, I don't understand the 16gb still being standard. They need to start upping it.
CtotheP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:14 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

The new iPod Touch is 32GB, but more expensive. That is your problem right there.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:36 PM   #3
CtotheP
macrumors member

Exactly, 32gb should be where the base 16gb was. Too many things to store these days, not enough space. I'd love a Nano that was 128gb...it would be perfect!!!
CtotheP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:41 PM   #4
tobefirst
macrumors 68040

Yikes! A 32GB shuffle?

(;
Old Sep 19, 2012, 05:05 PM   #5
combatcolin
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobefirst View Post
Yikes! A 32GB shuffle?

(;
A 64GB shuffle - outstanding!

If only.....
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:19 AM   #6
iLLUMI
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatcolin View Post
A 64GB shuffle - outstanding!

If only.....
And of course the obligatory ... 128GB Shuffle.

But seriously, this question has been brought up time and time again all over the web and the usual response is "cloud storage" i.e. iCloud. Well that's from an Apple perspective and not us consumers. The majority of us see it differently of course.

Thus I also believe the storage standard for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad should be bumped up. I mean wifi isn't always accessible in order to access iCloud so you'd really want to have your music and movies with you. It's a long flight from New York to Sydney so having a good selection of TV shows, movies, podcasts and music for yourself and/or the family wouldn't be much of an issue with 128GB storage. Not to mention that you might also be shooting videos, taking photos and have large apps such as games which will take up a fair bit of storage also.

The iPod Classic has 160GB. So why cant the iPod Touch/iPhone have a mere 128GB!
Both are music etc storage devices. In fact the iPod Classic has increased its storage capacity of the years. You dont see Apple pushing iCloud for that.
If anything, the iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad should be the devices getting the bigger storage because they do more and store more data.
iLLUMI is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:06 AM   #7
kaydot
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtotheP View Post
Exactly, 32gb should be where the base 16gb was. Too many things to store these days, not enough space. I'd love a Nano that was 128gb...it would be perfect!!!
I came to this conclusion, too. The Nano with 128gb would be amazing. They could replace the classic with the Nano, make it a purely music device. I've been waiting for a 128gb touch, but I don't need all the extra bells and whistles that come with that device (camera, for instance). I have a smartphone for that.

So in conclusion: HIGH CAPACITY NANOs, Please!
kaydot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:10 PM   #8
TomCat
macrumors member

I am seriously reconsidering taking my entire CD collection (most of my library is CDs purchased before 2003) and starting a new iTunes library using Apple Lossless. That would probably imply at least a 32 GB Touch, maybe 64.

That's a reasonable goal. But 128 GB nanos? Don't hold your breath; they are 5 years away at best.
TomCat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 03:34 PM   #9
LucasLee
macrumors newbie

Limited capacity devices is the way to go. Having large capacity, people will get too attached to their files and upgrade less often, which means less profit. Low capacity, is easy for people to move from one device to another and cost less to make.

Even andriod is abandoning their sd cards so people would not get attached to their current models.

Is like living space, you live in a small apartment with little stuff it's easy to move out, you live a big house, you'be put effort into organizing your garden, you've install heavy furniture and you've horde a ton of possessions, it is much harder to move again.

For me, I make use the cloud, I have 6x 2-3TB drives delivering media files whenever I want using air video, streamtome and audiogalaxy using unlimited 4G connection. My device hold 90% Apps.
LucasLee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:54 PM   #10
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
The new iPod Touch is 32GB, but more expensive. That is your problem right there.
No it's not. $299 has been the standard price for the 32gb model since 2009. If anything you're getting more for your money with this generation.
TacticalDesire is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:42 AM   #11
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalDesire View Post
No it's not. $299 has been the standard price for the 32gb model since 2009. If anything you're getting more for your money with this generation.
I know that. But I don't understand why he/she can't buy that iPod Touch for that price...
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:42 AM   #12
kylera
macrumors 6502a

I think with the existence of Smart Playlists, the emphasis on space has dropped. Since you can set space limits, you can fine-tune your listening experience.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:31 AM   #13
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtotheP View Post
Across ALL lines of iPod/iPad/iPhones. With all media being digital these days, I don't understand the 16gb still being standard. They need to start upping it.
Apple did the calculations to determine where they can get the most return for now and for the future and determined that the 16/32/64 works best for Apple. If people stop purchasing, they will change.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLUMI View Post
So why cant the iPod Touch/iPhone have a mere 128GB!
Technically, they can but it seems that Apple believes it will reduce future sales. Apple is a business and what is good for them is often not good for us.
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod