Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fRod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Whenever I try and activate iMessage or facetime on my iPhone 5 all I get is the error, "Could not sigh in, please check your network connection and try again." The error doesn't happen right away it takes about 15-30 seconds then seems like it times out. I tried to activate on both wi-fi and data connection to no avail. I've read a few other areas where people have had these problems curious if anyone has as well and any fixes.

Thanks!

Last edited:

fRod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Yeah I did that as well, logged into iCloud no problem. I think it might of been when I first plugged in my iphone and it gave the option "select as new phone" or use as my old iphone from when I had my iphone 4. I've called apple 3 times so far and they know its an issue but have no idea on how to fix it.

fRod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Found the fix!!!

I found the fix for the error. Took me a few different tries but I got it to work. You have to completely reset your phone (erase all content and settings) and set it as a, "new phone". I advise you to copy all the information that you want/need onto iCloud first. After I did this my facetime and imessage worked perfectly! Hope this helps.

On a side note as well your contacts won't be erased either but save them on iCloud just in case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.