Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:29 PM   #1
gfasciana
macrumors newbie

iPhone 5 bent!

I received my new iphone5 from Verizon from fed ex on Saturday, opened it up and it was bent and the volume buttons were jammed. I took it the apple store in summit mall (Akron Ohio) and they told me they would not replace it and accused me of damaging the phone myself. The "genius" at the apple store told me that a phone like mine would not have passed apples production inspection. Now I'm stuck with a broken iphone5 that I waited forever for.
gfasciana is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:31 PM   #2
spblat
macrumors 6502a

Pics please?
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:31 PM   #3
CyBeRino
macrumors 6502a

Go back and throw a fit, or try another apple store. If that fails, return it to the Online store, get refunded and buy a new one.
CyBeRino is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:39 PM   #4
AppleFan91
macrumors 6502a

1) pics please - normally everyone here takes ur word, but this is pretty outlandish.
2) seriously? Scuff gate, rainbow screen gate, LTE gate, bent gate, no charger gate, etc.
AppleFan91 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:41 PM   #5
Geckotek
macrumors G3

There's already a similar tread on the forum, the phone was bent by the shipper. They called Apple CS who shipped out a new phone and a box to return the damaged phone.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:44 PM   #6
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Were all the plastic stickers from the manufacturer still on it? It's pretty tough for the Genius to argue you did it if all stickers were still on it (of course it's possible you bent it straight out of the box, but you should be given the benefit of the doubt). If/when this gets cleared up I would write a formal complaint regarding this Apple store and the Apple genius in question.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:47 PM   #7
gfasciana
macrumors newbie

The genius in the store seriously belittled me telling me that my phone would have never passed apples "inspection" process and that I physically bent this myself. I can guarantee you that as soon as I take care of the situation Apple will hear about the customer service team at this specific location.
gfasciana is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:49 PM   #8
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfasciana View Post
The genius in the store seriously belittled me telling me that my phone would have never passed apples "inspection" process and that I physically bent this myself. I can guarantee you that as soon as I take care of the situation Apple will hear about the customer service team at this specific location.
So you never answered my question though... did you remove the screen covers that all of these phones ship with?
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:52 PM   #9
jbachandouris
macrumors 68000

Quote:
This baffles me. Apple claims that its harder to get a job with them than to get into Harvard. Someone I know went through 5 interviews before he was hired. I attended 2 hiring seminars with them and was not hired, but this guy gets to have a job there? I've been struggling to find long term work for quite some time. SMH.
jbachandouris is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:25 AM   #10
Hls811
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Hls811 Send a message via Yahoo to Hls811
Quote:

You're lucky. didn't the early rumors say Apple was going to use curved glass?? You got a prototype!

J/K.. so much for Apples "inspection process".. I'm one of the lucky ones who got an iphone with a loose battery. My exchange was much easier than yours though.. once the genius shook it he knew it was going to be replaced.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:30 AM   #11
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
This is crap (not your story) but the geniasse's reaction to you. If you weren't a little jerk to him (or even if you were) he has no reason to belittle you. There's no way any iPhone owner will purposely do this to their phone. The level of care seen with new iPhone owners is quite high. This excludes the pack of dorks who buy just to blend, throw, torch, etc, of course. You should indeed file a complaint. I know these kids are under pressure these days but there's no reason to belittle someone like that.
GoCubsGo is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:32 AM   #12
Leonard1818
macrumors 68020

Quote:
The genius in the store seriously belittled me telling me that my phone would have never passed apples "inspection" process and that I physically bent this myself.
riot, cause 1, you have motive to bend it yourself, 2, you haven't been waiting for this thing to arrive, 3, you obviously have super-human strength, 4, I'm sure their QA process is 100% all the time, 5, couldn't be fedex/UPS's fault riot?

(not to mention, it sounds like there's some civil unrest at the factory/factories over in China so I'm sure an angry worker couldn't have done this or let this one slip by riot? RIOT?!?!)
Leonard1818 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:33 AM   #13
mackandproud
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Not surprising that one of those little fascists would say something like that. I'd give that little brat hell on earth, and he would deserve it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namtaro View Post
I don't know anyone who has a bent iPhone 5, but I also know that they never checked out of the box if it was bent or not either. I'm sure the majority of bent iPhone 5's were bent by the user, they just never realized when or how they did it.

This is more a design flaw than the user's fault IMO. Phones just shouldn't bend that easily with day-to-day usage. Using 6061 Aluminum wasn't the best idea considering the weak point of the volume button. Liquid Metal might've been too expensive, but I'm sure a better alloy like 7075 Aluminum would't have set the manufacturing costs too high.

I toss around my iPhone 4 like a toy and nothing's ever happened to it - I toss it on my bed, toss it on my desk it slips out of my pocket and I sit on it in the car sometimes etc. I have screen protectors on both sides and replace the front like every 2 weeks cause of the scratches (50 cheap protectors for 5 bucks so worth it!) and a Vapor Pro case which might add some rigidity... When I remove the case and screen protectors, it looks like new. With these horror stories of the iPhone 5 and how I treat my phone, I'm seriously considering a Note 2 instead. All I ever do with my phone now is text, call and play music anyways since I have my iPad Mini with me all the time.
Considering the amount of aluminum used in a phone, I really doubt the difference in manufacturing costs is substantial. Probably on the order of a few pennies per phone.

The Note 2 screen makes the S3 screen look miniscule. It's not really a phone to carry in your pocket. Perhaps a velcro + lycra slingcase designed like a reverse wonder bra sitting in the curve of your back would be a convenient place to holster it.
mackandproud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:03 PM   #14
Orange Furball
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Orange Furball
Is this your video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7_AS...e_gdata_player

If not I guess it's a common problem!
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:33 PM   #15
BoxerGT2.5
macrumors 68000

You got the special edition with curved display, ala Galaxy Nexus.
BoxerGT2.5 is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:19 PM   #16
lamenramen
macrumors regular

Aluminum is not the ideal phone material. Because I have a dent in every single one of my macbook pros. It dents. It bends. I dislike it but I like the phone too much.
lamenramen is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:26 PM   #17
vistadude
macrumors 65816

Well they use aluminum in baseball bats. It's just that apple uses cheap "aircraft grade" aluminum. I hope this isn't the stuff that's in our planes.
vistadude is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:44 PM   #18
pragmatous
macrumors 65816

Not to mention the magical bending glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistadude View Post
Well they use aluminum in baseball bats. It's just that apple uses cheap "aircraft grade" aluminum. I hope this isn't the stuff that's in our planes.
pragmatous is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:48 PM   #19
Jamesesesesess
macrumors 6502a

This guy clearly isn't lying, I've seen at least 2 other people with the same thing, one of which has a multiple page thread on the same topic. You can't bend a phone like that without breaking the screen. This is a manufacturing defect and it's unfortunate that Apple won't recognize that.
Jamesesesesess is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:46 PM   #20
Archer1440
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by pragmatous View Post
Not to mention the magical bending glass.
You mean this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iPhone-4-manufacturing-process-glass-display-bending.png
Views:	121
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	374758  
Archer1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:37 PM   #21
Orange Furball
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Orange Furball
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpross123 View Post
So, so far the black iPhone scratches easily, and now the iPhone can get bent?
Scuffgate
Bendgate
And Sexgate unless you haven't read that thread
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:41 PM   #22
MultiMediaWill
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Furball View Post
Scuffgate
Bendgate
Yellow ScreenGate

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1449159
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:44 PM   #23
Squid7085
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Squid7085
I would love to give you the benefit of the doubt, but having worked in Retail I have many stories of people trying to bring back things that "came that way." Your pictures didn't really make me think it "came that way." The stories are always one sided, and everybody feels "belittled" when something didn't go their way. By the evidence you have presented me thus far, I wouldn't believe you either. I'd love for you to present some more evidence to make me believe you, if the plastic was taken off, the phone has been activated and restored, that's a pretty big red flag.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:45 PM   #24
JS82712
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Furball View Post
Scuffgate
Bendgate
and from the iOS 6 forums...
MapsGate
apple-is-doomed-without-JobsGate
JS82712 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:53 PM   #25
kannesss
Banned

That's the craziest thing I've seen. Does it work still??
kannesss is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone