Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Android Skin do you prefer?

• TouchWiz

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Sense

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Motoblur

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Timescape

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vanilla Android/ROM

Votes: 18 75.0%

• Total voters

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
I know a lot of people prefer stock Android but I've never really seen a poll on it. I've been curious about this for awhile, which do you prefer?

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I rooted my S3 the day I got it so I didn't really get to spend much time on TouchWiz. I'm currently using a Sense theme and I like it but that's just a theme running on an AOSP ROM. I'm interested to see what others think.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA
I don't know if I've ever heard of someone preferring a manufacturer skin to vanilla Android

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I cant answer this poll. I dont use TW because i didnt care it so i use a different launcher, and have never used Sense and have never had a Nexus. Though id guess id prefer stock Android but would probably still use a different launcher.

Last edited:

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
I have only used TouchWiz and have used stock Android only briefly so I can't answer the poll. I've tried installing some launchers in my S3 and after messing around with them for a minute or two I find myself wanting to go back to TouchWiz.

If I could just find a way to use icon packs without having to install a launcher...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'd like a combination.

I'd love if HTC just gave me all the Sense Widgets as they are generally some of the best on Android, but left everything else as stock AOSP Android.

Had both a Galaxy Nexus and an S2 in the past. S2 didn't like touchwiz so much. Galaxy Nexus nice, but lacked some of the lovely widgets and as close as Fancy widgets and Beautiful Widgets get, they are not of the same standard as HTC's sense ones.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Vanilla all the way, The skins provide some eye candy but nothing I couldn't do myself with incurring less overhead that the skins seem to add.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Vanilla all the way, The skins provide some eye candy but nothing I couldn't do myself with incurring less overhead that the skins seem to add.

That picture in picture thing the new touch wiz does? I could see that being useful on my tablet watching a YouTube clip as I browse the forum.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
I've tried them all except Timescape.

-Motoblur feels like the phone is trying is trying to lure me into using a bunch of services I don't need. It's all flashy and over the top looking, like a kids phone that feels like it belongs in a Transformers movie, with all this social network nonsense. Hate it. Kill it with fire.
-Touchwiz feels cheap. The icons look cheap. The style borrows from Apple and it never feels like a nice UI, but more of a knockoff. It's very simple to use but its just too...childish looking.
-Sense is the most professional looking. However, its professional looking in an...Asian kinda way. I can't explain it. Some design sensibilities used look like its all flash and pizazz like some kind of Asian tv commercial, with lots of iconography that screams "hello you are in Taiwan!". It doesn't feel like a Western type phone. It feels more like something that Asian teenagers would want to customize with all kinds of water and sun and even the sounds are all very Asian. It feels weird to use since the design elements are unrelatable to me, and the UI is very cluttered back at the options menu.

Stock is great. It feels futuristic yet subtle. No unnecessary crap installed, no themes, just a pure, minimalistic experience. I enjoy using it.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
I've tried them all except Timescape.

-Motoblur feels like the phone is trying is trying to lure me into using a bunch of services I don't need. It's all flashy and over the top looking, like a kids phone that feels like it belongs in a Transformers movie, with all this social network nonsense. Hate it. Kill it with fire.
-Touchwiz feels cheap. The icons look cheap. The style borrows from Apple and it never feels like a nice UI, but more of a knockoff. It's very simple to use but its just too...childish looking.
-Sense is the most professional looking. However, its professional looking in an...Asian kinda way. I can't explain it. Some design sensibilities used look like its all flash and pizazz like some kind of Asian tv commercial, with lots of iconography that screams "hello you are in Taiwan!". It doesn't feel like a Western type phone. It feels more like something that Asian teenagers would want to customize with all kinds of water and sun and even the sounds are all very Asian. It feels weird to use since the design elements are unrelatable to me, and the UI is very cluttered back at the options menu.

Stock is great. It feels futuristic yet subtle. No unnecessary crap installed, no themes, just a pure, minimalistic experience. I enjoy using it.

There are a *few* things I miss going from TouchWiz to CM10 on my GS3.

Such as the 'Close All' in the Multitask window. I also like the 'Swipe left/right to call/text'. It's subtle but I used it a lot.

sneaky butcher

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
sense has amazing widgets but i want to try vanilla android. My next phone i want vanilla jellybean to see what its like.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
There are a *few* things I miss going from TouchWiz to CM10 on my GS3.

Such as the 'Close All' in the Multitask window. I also like the 'Swipe left/right to call/text'. It's subtle but I used it a lot.
That is actually kinda useful but rather inelegantly done on Touchwiz. The button should either be put on top or the action should be made into a gesture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.