Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:47 AM   #1
TDW
macrumors newbie

Buying Unlocked iPhone 5 at apple store USA?

Hi,

I live in europe and now i'm in the US an i want to buy iPhone 5.
I want the A1429 model (Verizon / Sprint) unlocked as it has support for LTE in europe.
Is it SAFE to buy from an apple store a Verizon/Sprint phone without contract and count on it being Unlocked FOREVER?

[Is it more safe to buy an ATT iPhone 5 without contract and give up for LTE?]

Thanks!!
TDW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:12 AM   #2
johnparjr
macrumors 6502

You cannot buy a phone at apple stores without a contract for now on the iphone 5
johnparjr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:16 AM   #3
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnparjr View Post
You cannot buy a phone at apple stores without a contract for now on the iphone 5
Not true. I bought an AT&T model "device only" for the full price yesterday and didn't need to provide any information. It is fully unlocked (I got the "congratulations" message when I plugged it into iTunes to copy my music library).

It isn't the "official" unlocked phone, but as long as you buy it "Device Only" from Apple it will be locked. Actually, at least for now all Verizon models are also unlocked, even those bought on contract.
KPOM is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:21 AM   #4
saturnino3
macrumors member

I agree -- I purchased a 16GB iPhone 5 at the Powell Street Apple Store in San Francisco that was factory unlocked. Cost was $649 plus sales tax. It was not advertised but confirmed through a genius.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:22 AM   #5
faiz23
macrumors 6502

I got 2 of them full price. Just ask them to ring it up "DEVICE ONLY" using "EASYPAY" app on there ipod to ring you out. They will bypass at&t information and not include your serial in the database. Both of mine have been unlocked and I bet you are drooling....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	upload slick unlock.jpg
Views:	5417
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	362246   Click image for larger version

Name:	k iphone.jpg
Views:	2375
Size:	284.3 KB
ID:	362248  

Last edited by faiz23; Nov 17, 2012 at 04:54 PM.
faiz23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:30 AM   #6
hexproject
macrumors member

Sim card

How did you get the sim card then? Call AT&T? Since exisiting does not work.
hexproject is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:45 AM   #7
milan03
macrumors 6502

Ask for: "DEVICE ONLY" Verizon model. Not no device lol... They're permanently unlocked, you are not giving up your LTE .

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by faiz23 View Post
I got 2 of them full price. Just ask them to ring it up "NO DEVICE" using "EASYPAY" app on there ipod to ring you out. They will bypass at&t information and not include your serial in the database. Both of mine have been unlocked and I bet you are drooling....
He's buying Verizon model no AT&T to bypass lol what are you talking about. It's "DEVICE ONLY".
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:55 AM   #8
ANMA dojo
macrumors regular

Quote:
I got 2 of them full price. Just ask them to ring it up "NO DEVICE" using "EASYPAY" app on there ipod to ring you out. They will bypass at&t information and not include your serial in the database. Both of mine have been unlocked and I bet you are drooling....
Quote:
Originally Posted by milan03 View Post
Ask for: "DEVICE ONLY" Verizon model. Not no device lol... They're permanently unlocked, you are not giving up your LTE
just to confirm... if you buy a "DEVICE ONLY" Verizon model and you restore in iTunes, will you also get that "Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked" screen?
ANMA dojo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:15 AM   #9
faiz23
macrumors 6502

iphone 5 for at&t will unlock upon paying full price only at apple store and plugging into itunes. If you buy verizon model no matter where you get it from it will be factory unlocked. Nothing will show up during itunes since it is FACTORY.
faiz23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 04:25 AM   #10
Europa13
macrumors regular

Quote:
But there doesn't seem to be a way to order or reserve one in the US without providing your AT&T number. I'm waiting for 3 or 4 more weeks for my AT&T iPhone to ship, and I'd love to be able to reserve a second contract-free model for next-day pickup (if I got lucky enough to find one right at 10 pm), but my account is in a locked state due to a pending upgrade.

What if I reserved it as a new second line for my AT&T account (at the $299 pricing) and then told them to ring it up as a full-price "NO DEVICE" phone when I actually picked it up the next day?
Europa13 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 08:34 PM   #11
truelies
macrumors regular

What's difference between Verizon & AT&T iPhone?
truelies is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:47 PM   #12
bast0473
macrumors newbie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
Not true. I bought an AT&T model "device only" for the full price yesterday and didn't need to provide any information. It is fully unlocked (I got the "congratulations" message when I plugged it into iTunes to copy my music library).

It isn't the "official" unlocked phone, but as long as you buy it "Device Only" from Apple it will be locked. Actually, at least for now all Verizon models are also unlocked, even those bought on contract.
That's great but where did you buy it then ? I'm from France and I tried to buy the iPhone 5 16Go on the ATT website and I can't. Did you just buy in a store or online ?
bast0473 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:03 PM   #13
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bast0473 View Post
That's great but where did you buy it then ? I'm from France and I tried to buy the iPhone 5 16Go on the ATT website and I can't. Did you just buy in a store or online ?
I bought it in an Apple retail store. However, this was before they started the online reservation system. There is almost no in-store stock anymore.

If you are from France, you might try a Verizon store, as all the iPhones are unlocked and it will work equally well as the AT&T version (better, actually, since it will support some LTE networks in the UK and Germany).

Unfortunately, right now the only reliable way to buy the phone in the US is through the online system, which requires you to open a wireless account (or supply your existing account information) in order to make a purchase.

If you will be visiting Canada, that may be an option, as the unlocked phone is for sale there already.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanchen242 View Post
lucky you, here in nyc they have a policy to not sell iphone 5's w.o a contract at all.
Is that at an AT&T/Verizon/Sprint store or an Apple store? If the latter, that must be new as I bought my phone device only from the Grand Central store on the 22nd. That was before they put in place the online reservation system, though.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANMA dojo View Post

on Oct 8th, since I was suddenly eligible to upgrade my line, I no longer had the option to pay full price for an iphone 5 online. I needed more iphones so I went ahead and bought another phone using that early upgrade. the problem is, now when I try to repeat the same trick as before, I get this message:looks like this gig is up once you become eligible
Have you tried ordering from the AT&T online store? I had pre-ordered an upgrade from Apple and was able to place an order for a full-priced unit from AT&T's online store after I had activated my upgraded phone (it wouldn't let me do so before). I then managed to find a full priced unit in the store (before they started the reservation system), and I canceled my full-priced order with AT&T before it shipped. However, AT&T did pre-authorize my card for the full purchase price so apparently the order would have gone through.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:05 PM   #14
ANMA dojo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Have you tried ordering from the AT&T online store? I had pre-ordered an upgrade from Apple and was able to place an order for a full-priced unit from AT&T's online store after I had activated my upgraded phone (it wouldn't let me do so before). I then managed to find a full priced unit in the store (before they started the reservation system), and I canceled my full-priced order with AT&T before it shipped. However, AT&T did pre-authorize my card for the full purchase price so apparently the order would have gone through.
interesting. looks like I'm able to buy the iphone full priced, no-commitment from AT&T website... the only problem is no option for in-store pickup, so it'd take 14-21 days before it even ships :|

not a bad option for those who don't mind waiting, but time is against some folks like me

*sigh* I wish Apple website would let me do this :|
ANMA dojo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:24 PM   #15
rit
macrumors member

Quote:

Good to hear, I am just struggling to buy one, I wanted to know what did you say to the Apple people and did you pay some extra to after $649 ?
rit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:55 PM   #16
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rit View Post
Good to hear, I am just struggling to buy one, I wanted to know what did you say to the Apple people and did you pay some extra to after $649 ?
I just told them I wanted to buy the device only, with no contract. I paid $749 for the $32GB version, so if you get the 16GB it will be $649.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:02 PM   #17
rit
macrumors member

Quote:
I just told them I wanted to buy the device only, with no contract. I paid $749 for the $32GB version, so if you get the 16GB it will be $649.
Oh nice, was it out of the box unlocked right? And did you paid something extra meaning any charge/fee
rit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:22 PM   #18
iPhonesandMacs
macrumors regular

Quote:
Yes you can, me and a close friend bought 18 on launch day and sold them all on eBay... Limit is 2 per person, but he had some friends with us... We weren't even sprint Verizon or AT&T customers... We bought all 18 iPhones AT&T version, and they were all unlocked out of the box...
iPhonesandMacs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:28 PM   #19
PeterTran
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhonesandMacs View Post
Yes you can, me and a close friend bought 18 on launch day and sold them all on eBay... Limit is 2 per person, but he had some friends with us... We weren't even sprint Verizon or AT&T customers... We bought all 18 iPhones AT&T version, and they were all unlocked out of the box...
so you were the ones who depleted the att iphone 5 stocks )_T
PeterTran is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:42 PM   #20
iPhonesandMacs
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTran View Post
so you were the ones who depleted the att iphone 5 stocks )_T
LoL just at one store lol yes
iPhonesandMacs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:52 AM   #21
Newbie MacUser
macrumors member

Quote:
Actually you can. However it can be a temporarily costly maneuver. I used Apple's online reservation system to pay for and reserve on in store. I am technically still under contract with AT&T for my iphone 4S so I qualified for the early upgrade price of $449. So I walked into the store the next day and told them I wanted to purchase it at the full unsubsidized price. They said ok, but I would have to return it and then repurchase it at $649 + tax, and the original $449 + tax would probably stay on my card for about 3 business days. So basically my card had a little over $1200 charged on it when I walked out of the Apple store with a carrier unsubsidized iPhone 5 (AT&T version) because I wanted to keep taking advantage of my grandfathered Unlimited Data plan. The next day I did the online submission to request for an unlock at the following link: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/ And within a couple hours I got an email asking for me to fax in my receipt from the Apple store and a couple hours after that they sent me another email saying I was approved. The email also told me to just connect to itunes and then reset my iPhone and easy as that I had myself a 16GB White iPhone 5.

I'm totally loving it. Battery life is amazing, as I've had it for 1 week exactly now and have only charged the phone 3 times. I've been using the 4G LTE the most and also making calls and texting regularly.
Apple TV 3G (MD199LL/A)
Newbie MacUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:15 AM   #22
TDW
macrumors newbie

I see on the forum that a lot of people buys iPhone 5 as phone only from Apple store for the full price 649-849$
TDW is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:22 PM   #23
TDW
macrumors newbie

In conclusion, Is it 100% safe to buy Verizone iPhone 5 as UNLOCKED?
Does it matter if I'll buy Verizone or Sprint iPhone 5 from the Apple Store?
Or to stick with Verizone?

Thank you everybody!!
TDW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:46 PM   #24
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDW View Post

Thank you everybody!!
I believe it is just Verizon, as Sprint is still using the older system for activating phones, while Verizon is using SIM cards. Also, only Verizon has the specific LTE license from the FCC that requires them to sell unlocked devices.
KPOM is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:56 PM   #25
milan03
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDW View Post

Thank you everybody!!
You mean is it safe to buy a Verizon phone as a "device only" for full price?
YES.

And stick with Verizon since the FCC forces them to keep the phone Unlocked. Sprint could lock it later.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone