Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diggler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
Hi, I've recently decided to buy my first MacBook after being impressed by the iPhone for a few years. The problem I have is that I can't update ML in the app store. My MBP is a late 2010 model and seemed to have a fresh install when I bought it.

Is it possible that the OSX that has been installed isn't authentic? Is there a way to check this? Would buying ML from the app store for £13.99 fix this problem? I don't want to waste money if not.

Please go easy on me as I'm still learning how this all works. Thanks in advance!

Zedsdead185

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2006
UK
Hi, I've recently decided to buy my first MacBook after being impressed by the iPhone for a few years. The problem I have is that I can't update ML in the app store. My MBP is a late 2010 model and seemed to have a fresh install when I bought it.

Is it possible that the OSX that has been installed isn't authentic? Is there a way to check this? Would buying ML from the app store for £13.99 fix this problem? I don't want to waste money if not.

Please go easy on me as I'm still learning how this all works. Thanks in advance!

Have you tried updating it to Mountain Lion yet? You say you can't seem to update, but then ask whether you should buy it?

If the app store believed that you had non-authentic software, then I would assume that it would inform you that it was not authentic.
Also, did the Mac (I assume you bought it second hand) come with the original install disks?

Last edited:

Diggler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
Have you tried updating it to Mountain Lion yet? You say you can't seem to update, but then ask whether you should buy it?

I've got Mountain Lion 10.8.1 installed at the moment but when I try to update through the "Software update" option it crashes and I have to restart.

When I search for Mountain Lion in the app store there is an option to buy 10.8.2 for £13.99.

And no I didn't receive any install disks with it.

Zedsdead185

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2006
UK
I've got Mountain Lion 10.8.1 installed at the moment but when I try to update through the "Software update" option it crashes and I have to restart.

When I search for Mountain Lion in the app store there is an option to buy 10.8.2 for £13.99.

Ah, I see.

Try downloading it from here and updating it manually.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1581

----------

Let me know if it works or not. On rare occasions software update doesn't always behave. If you can't update to 10.8.2 though, I would suggest you do a fresh install with your original install disks if they came with the mac and then buy Mountain lion and update to that.

Zedsdead185

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2006
UK
Excellent! Worked fine that way, such a simple fix but totally unknown to me.

As you said if it wasn't authentic I'm sure it wouldn't of updated so I feel a bit better about it now.

Many thanks!

No problem. Glad I could help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.