Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:41 AM   #1
Osip
macrumors newbie

Apple TV 5.1 Update, Handbrake-encoded Files, and No 5.1 Audio

I'll try to keep this brief: I did AC3 Passthru PLUS AAC Stereo using the Handbrake presets for a handful of DVDs I own to test out converting my collection to an iTunes-compatible format. Prior to the 5.1 update, all was working well; 5.1 when playing through the Apple TV, stereo when I played the exact same file on my iPhone or iPad. Now the same files still play fine on my iPad and iPhone, but the Apple TV refuses to output any audio on files that have an option between 5.1 and 2.0 (stereo). I went into Netflix on my Apple TV, picked a movie with 5.1 audio, and it played back properly without an issue.

My Apple TV is connected to my receiver via HDMI-only and my receiver is connected to my TV via HDMI as well. I've tried both forcing Dolby Output to "On" and "Auto" as well. I've found some comments on Apple's support forum from several years ago stating that using optical might fix a similar issue, but I fail to see why Apple would take a step backwards in HDMI-connectivity. :/

Since no one else seems to be complaining about this recently anywhere I've seen, it must be me. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Osip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:46 PM   #2
Ewan Hoozarmy
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osip View Post
I'll try to keep this brief: I did AC3 Passthru PLUS AAC Stereo using the Handbrake presets for a handful of DVDs I own to test out converting my collection to an iTunes-compatible format. Prior to the 5.1 update, all was working well; 5.1 when playing through the Apple TV, stereo when I played the exact same file on my iPhone or iPad. Now the same files still play fine on my iPad and iPhone, but the Apple TV refuses to output any audio on files that have an option between 5.1 and 2.0 (stereo). I went into Netflix on my Apple TV, picked a movie with 5.1 audio, and it played back properly without an issue.

My Apple TV is connected to my receiver via HDMI-only and my receiver is connected to my TV via HDMI as well. I've tried both forcing Dolby Output to "On" and "Auto" as well. I've found some comments on Apple's support forum from several years ago stating that using optical might fix a similar issue, but I fail to see why Apple would take a step backwards in HDMI-connectivity. :/

Since no one else seems to be complaining about this recently anywhere I've seen, it must be me. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Exactly the same problem for me. Couldn't fix it

Had to roll back to the previous firmware
Ewan Hoozarmy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:07 PM   #3
iLuvMyMacToo
macrumors regular

Have you gone into your Apple TV setting and turned off "digital dolby"? That worked for me.
iLuvMyMacToo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:19 PM   #4
rdpbass
macrumors newbie

I have two atv 3's did the update on one same problem. The one I didn't update works fine. How do you go about rolling back to previous version ?
rdpbass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:52 PM   #5
Osip
macrumors newbie

Ok good - It's not just me!

I have not tried either suggestion, but I will when I get home. The rollback appears to involve jailbreaking, which I'm hesitant to do but I really don't feel like losing 5.1 audio because of an update that didn't affect anything I care about.

That's what I get for wanting to keep up-to-date!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:56 PM   #6
Rushli0n
macrumors regular

Definitely not HDMI specific. I have optical and I am experiencing th same thing. When I change it to Auto I get sound but not Dolby. If I choose On, I get no sound. But what's odd, some of the files I encoded with handbrake when the setting is On do work. Not sure what is different.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:14 PM   #7
Starhawk
macrumors member

My handbrake files seem to be working fine with DD 5.1. I tested a couple today.
Starhawk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:19 PM   #8
Rushli0n
macrumors regular

So I found a weird workaround. Hold select and go up to the Audio options and select the stereo track. Then go back and select the surround track. The Dolby works after you reselect it. What sucks is after I close the movie and play it again, I have to do that workaround again.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:43 PM   #9
orestes1984
macrumors 6502a

Ok good, I was going to go up to iOS 5.1 but now I'm not...
orestes1984 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:05 PM   #10
Osip
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by orestes1984 View Post
Ok good, I was going to go up to iOS 5.1 but now I'm not...
I wouldn't. It totally screwed me over.

As for the other "options", disabling Dolby works. Re-enabling it and going back to the video does not work. I guess I'll look into jailbreaking my Apple TV this weekend and reverting to a previous version of Apple TV OS until this gets fixed. :/ Good thing I immediately texted my brother and told him not to upgrade yesterday or he'd be very disappointed :is filtering his language:.

EDIT: I lied! Doing the re-enable actually does work! I'm using a Harmony Remote and I've visited a local brewery this evening... *ahem*
Old Oct 3, 2012, 07:11 PM   #11
Idgit
macrumors 6502

CovertApple,

Can you integrate mp4tools and/or MP4Box into your workflow?

MP4v2

MP4v2 Command-line Tools Guide

MP4Box
Idgit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 07:25 PM   #12
ConvertApple
macrumors newbie

Well theoretically I can add another program to workflow BUT I had hoped there would be someway that ffmpeg could do it as I did';t want app to bloat or get less stable.

MP4Box that I've seen other tools use, seems to unpack all the components of the files then re-pack them. I'd probably rather find out what the coder did.

I'll have to think about it, need zome Zzzzz's now. Still cannot understand why apple did this in 5.1
ConvertApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 07:49 PM   #13
mic j
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConvertApple View Post
Well theoretically I can add another program to workflow BUT I had hoped there would be someway that ffmpeg could do it as I did';t want app to bloat or get less stable.

MP4Box that I've seen other tools use, seems to unpack all the components of the files then re-pack them. I'd probably rather find out what the coder did.

I'll have to think about it, need zome Zzzzz's now. Still cannot understand why apple did this in 5.1
Just to be clear, Apple has always required the first audio track to be AAC 2-channel default and the second audio track (if it exists at all) to be AC3 not set to default. Has nothing to do with the 5.1 version. As you can see from above posts, people using other applications to generate their aTV3 compatible files are not having a issue with 5.1.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 12:38 PM   #14
Rushli0n
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic j View Post
Just to be clear, Apple has always required the first audio track to be AAC 2-channel default and the second audio track (if it exists at all) to be AC3 not set to default. Has nothing to do with the 5.1 version. As you can see from above posts, people using other applications to generate their aTV3 compatible files are not having a issue with 5.1.
I'm not disagreeing with you regarding Apple's policy...but both Audio Files on my movies were checked on 5.0.2 and it worked. After updating to 5.1, I had to uncheck the 5.1 file for it to work. So something in the update broke it.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 12:54 PM   #15
mic j
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushli0n View Post
I'm not disagreeing with you regarding Apple's policy...but both Audio Files on my movies were checked on 5.0.2 and it worked. After updating to 5.1, I had to uncheck the 5.1 file for it to work. So something in the update broke it.
Understood, but "checking" a file says this is the default, so by checking both files you were telling the aTV that both files are default. If you look back through previous posts here, you will see that the recommendation is to only have the first file (stereo) checked as default. Apparently, something in the new version was changed to no longer allow 2 default files. IMO, that doesn't sound like "breaking", it sounds like it was "fixing".
Old Oct 4, 2012, 03:26 AM   #16
Idgit
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConvertApple View Post

MP4Box that I've seen other tools use, seems to unpack all the components of the files then re-pack them.
I think I found the answer to your question and it looks as if you'll need to use MP4Box or HandbrakeCLI.

From that thread:

Quote:
Note that you need to disable the ac3 track and group the audio tracks together (a recent ATV change) for ATV to pass it through. Suspect you know this.

As I do all my conversion 'offline' using the script (COM) interface my external muxer of choice is a command line one - MP4BOX but there are lots about - GOOGLE. The advantage of MP4BOX is that it also allows tracks to be disabled and grouped
Idgit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 02:22 PM   #17
KenniJH
macrumors newbie

Same problem as OP, everything worked before 5.1. I ude HandBrake as Well as PavTube iMedia converter and rips from before and after the 5.1 Update has the problem.
So deffo the Update... Please fix Apple!
:-)
KenniJH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 10:01 PM   #18
MrXiro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osip View Post

I haven't read through any of the pages yet... just your post. I figured out a temporary fix.

Just hold down the select button and switch to stereo audio and play, hold down select again and then switch back to surround audio and it works fine again... hopefully it'll be fixed in the next update. (This is a handful of files I ripped using Handbrake about a month back) Most of my other rips seemed fine which is weird.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushli0n View Post
So I found a weird workaround. Hold select and go up to the Audio options and select the stereo track. Then go back and select the surround track. The Dolby works after you reselect it. What sucks is after I close the movie and play it again, I have to do that workaround again.
Seems it's been mentioned... and solved with Subler... good... I was having a fit trying to fix it earlier today!

Last edited by MrXiro; Oct 7, 2012 at 11:20 PM.
MrXiro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:21 AM   #19
The-Pro
macrumors 65816

any updates on this?
2012 15" 2.6 i7 AG MBP, 2009 17" AG MBP, 2009 8C 2.26 MP, 2010 4c MP,2010+07 MM, 17" 2007 MBP,20" iMac G5,17" PB G4,4x30"CD,2x23" CD, G3's,G4's, 17"iMac g4,iMac G3 turquoise,macintoshes dating to 1985
The-Pro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:09 PM   #20
GarrettL1979
macrumors 6502

It's mildly amusing that the 5.1 update caused 5.1 surround issues, no?
GarrettL1979 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:04 PM   #21
slothrob
macrumors 6502

It's unclear to me, is this only happening to files that have gone through Subler, or is this true for files right out of Handbrake?

It doesn't seem like a lot of people are complaining about this. Is it just that people aren't aware whether they have DD or not?

I'd like to update to 5.1, but I'm not willing to sacrifice DD for it.
slothrob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:20 PM   #22
mic j
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by slothrob View Post
It's unclear to me, is this only happening to files that have gone through Subler, or is this true for files right out of Handbrake?

It doesn't seem like a lot of people are complaining about this. Is it just that people aren't aware whether they have DD or not?

I'd like to update to 5.1, but I'm not willing to sacrifice DD for it.
The problem is, some people has some files that have somehow gotten AAC stereo and AC3 5.1 tracks checked as default tracks. Only the AAC stereo track should be checked as default. For some reason, v5.0 software was tolerant of have 2 tracks checked as default and v5.1 is not tolerant of it. Obviously, you should not have multiple tracks checked as default. Subler is used to correct the double default track selection.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater