Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
What an illogical conclusion when the only comparison made was to the iPhone 4/4S. Multiple reviewers analyzing multiple devices clearly makes this thread moot.

Bring up an old thread just to bombard people's views?

You must be so desperate.

I'd rather you just save it.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
What an illogical conclusion when the only comparison made was to the iPhone 4/4S. Multiple reviewers analyzing multiple devices clearly makes this thread moot.

Your just bent on getting yourself banned arnt you? The moderators have closed down 2 of your forums already but you just won't let the argument go. Please stop trolling and if you have nothing constructive to add to these forums then stop annoying everyone.

smellysox8

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2012
Your just bent on getting yourself banned arnt you? The moderators have closed down 2 of your forums already but you just won't let the argument go. Please stop trolling and if you have nothing constructive to add to these forums then stop annoying everyone.

More name calling. How does the iPhone 5 have the best display on the market again?

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
I much prefer the blacks and vividness of Super AMOLED displays. The iPhone screens can't display black very well (it's always a shade of grey) and watching videos or movies with a lot of blacks is an eyesore on the iPhone. With Super AMOLED displays, the blacks and colors wow you with the contrast and vividness.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
depends which iPhone 5 screen you're staring at.

I've seen some alright ones, some hideous ones, and some beautiful ones - my current one. Even side by side, looks AMAZING!

I'm sure Apple did a decent job cherry picking review units

JordanNZ

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
I much prefer the blacks and vividness of Super AMOLED displays. The iPhone screens can't display black very well (it's always a shade of grey) and watching videos or movies with a lot of blacks is an eyesore on the iPhone. With Super AMOLED displays, the blacks and colors wow you with the contrast and vividness.

If absolute black is your only concern, and you're in a completely dark room. Then fair enough.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012

Have you seem the iPhone 5? It's black is black, not grey. So your black argument doesnt hold up, looking at the black of the status bar right now and there is no grey in it. Also colors are much more realistic then a AMOLED screen which are always over saturated.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Have you seem the iPhone 5? It's black is black, not grey. So your black argument doesnt hold up, looking at the black of the status bar right now and there is no grey in it. Also colors are much more realistic then a AMOLED screen which are always over saturated.

Yes, I've seen the iPhone 5 and it's rendering of black still is quite poor because of the backlight. Try watching a dark video or movie and the blacks on it are all washed out. I prefer the way that Super AMOLED screens look because of the vividness of the colors, or what you would deem as "over saturated". If I wanted to, I can set it to render in the same dull way as an iPhone screen with a simple setting on my Galaxy Note 2. Pictures and videos just look better on Super AMOLED screens.

Highcroft

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2007
Illinois
Best screens in my opinion

HTC Droid DNA > One X > iPhone 5 > S3

The 1080p screen on the DNA is absolutely breathtaking

Honestly, I didn't find the DNA screen to be that impressive when I played with it. Other than resolution, it wasn't really the best in other areas. My list would be the One X/iPhone 5 > Droid DNA > Galaxy S3. But then again, I wasn't really blown away by the retina iPad screen vs the non-retina at first, but after months of using it even my Nexus 7s pixel density bothers me a little and the iPad mini's is borderline unbearable. Maybe if I actually owned a DNA and got used to 400+ ppi, then 300 might begin to seem not as good.

JordanNZ

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Yes, I've seen the iPhone 5 and it's rendering of black still is quite poor because of the backlight. Try watching a dark video or movie and the blacks on it are all washed out. I prefer the way that Super AMOLED screens look because of the vividness of the colors, or what you would deem as "over saturated". If I wanted to, I can set it to render in the same dull way as an iPhone screen with a simple setting on my Galaxy Note 2. Pictures and videos just look better on Super AMOLED screens.

They may look better to you, but this is your subjective opinion.
If you want to compare the screens in an objective fashion, this is not the case.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I prefer the display on my iPhone 4S. Color balance is better, as is sharpness. And yet I wouldn't notice if not for the fact that when I lay it side by side with my iPhone 5, it's distinctively better.

JordanNZ

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
My subjective opinion is the important opinion.

For you, sure.
But when you make a blanket statement like...

"If I wanted to, I can set it to render in the same dull way as an iPhone screen with a simple setting on my Galaxy Note 2. Pictures and videos just look better on Super AMOLED screens."

You're not presenting that as an opinion at all.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I prefer the display on my iPhone 4S. Color balance is better, as is sharpness. And yet I wouldn't notice if not for the fact that when I lay it side by side with my iPhone 5, it's distinctively better.

I guess it depends on who the manufacturer of your screen is. Mine looks similar to the 4S but it looks much crisper. When I look at the 4s I feel like I'm looking through an inch of glass.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
For you, sure.
But when you make a blanket statement like...

"If I wanted to, I can set it to render in the same dull way as an iPhone screen with a simple setting on my Galaxy Note 2. Pictures and videos just look better on Super AMOLED screens."

You're not presenting that as an opinion at all.

That's your opinion and is not an objective interpretation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.