Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kikashi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
For several years, I've been able to connect my Pro desktop to my MacBook Pro directly by an Ethernet cable; to "see" the Pro (which has File Sharing enabled) on the laptop's list of servers ("Shared") in a Finder sidebar on the laptop; and so to mount the desktop's disk on the laptop for very quick copying of large quantities of data.

In Mountain Lion (and perhaps in Lion, which I didn't have installed for long), this no longer works: the desktop just doesn't show up in the server list. If I enable wifi on both machines, it does show up but of course the connection over wifi is much, much slower than it is over Ethernet.

I have set the Finder's preferences to show everything enabled in the sidebar.

Is this as it should be, or is there something I can enable to get it back? The alternative, of course, is to connect the laptop in firewire disk mode but that means shutting it down, which is tedious.

TIA

Jeremy

bentup

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2007
San Francisco
I was having the same problem with my new iMac and an ancient PB.

After restarting both, it was working again....

Found a long thread elsewhere suggesting the restart due to DHCP.

The Bulge

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Up your ass.
I was having the same problem with my new iMac and an ancient PB.

After restarting both, it was working again....

Found a long thread elsewhere suggesting the restart due to DHCP.

Older Macs require cross-over cables since their ethernet cards don't have auto-mdix. This might be an issue, but other than that directly connecting to Macs with an ethernet cable should about as hard as connecting them with firewire.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.