Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 2, 2012, 06:22 AM   #1
Thierry ba
macrumors 6502

Anyone going back to 4S?

A few of my friends are getting 4S' again and selling their iPhone5, they are so disappointed with new phone. They say it just not Apple quality they used to buy. Your thoughts?

Last edited by Thierry ba; Oct 2, 2012 at 09:46 AM.
Thierry ba is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 06:27 AM   #2
HowardSmith
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry ba View Post
Few of my friends are getting 4S' again and selling their iPhone5, they are so dissapointed with new phone. They say it just not Apple quality they used to buy. Your thoughts?
In what way are they so disappointed in the 5 that they are going back to the 4S? Please explain where the quality has let them down.

Is it a slight blemish. If so you need new friends!
HowardSmith is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 06:37 AM   #3
mobiletech
macrumors member

Not apple anymore? Steve still helped design this model still. They all had some quality issues...

iPhone 5 - nicks and scuffs
iPhone 4- gouges and mars on the metal band
iPhone 3G- scratched bevel
iPhone edge- dead pixels, scratched bevel, scuffed back.
mobiletech is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:26 PM   #4
johndallas999
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardSmith View Post
In what way are they so disappointed in the 5 that they are going back to the 4S? Please explain where the quality has let them down.

Is it a slight blemish. If so you need new friends!
You guy are so sensitive about this stuff. Who cares it's not like he's insulting your mom or girlfriend. Just cause someone says something negative about the 5 doesn't mean yours wont work. It's a well known issue that the 5 has QC issues.
johndallas999 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 06:42 AM   #5
iapplelove
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Few of my friends are getting 4S' again and selling their iPhone5, they are so disappointed with new phone. They say it just not Apple quality they used to buy. Your thoughts?
i could never imagine downgrading back to a 4 or 4s again.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 06:43 AM   #6
daviddth
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iapplelove View Post
i could never imagine downgrading back to a 4 or 4s again.
Same here. Used the wifes 4S today and was suprised at how slow it felt.
daviddth is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 09:02 AM   #7
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a

I kinda miss the glass backing of my old 4S.. the back of the 5 is such a scratch magnet

It's still a good phone, $99 on contract is actually a very good deal
pnoyblazed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 09:13 AM   #8
cababah
macrumors 65816

SSDD...

I remember reading the exact same crap when the 4S came out and everyone was saying how the 4 was better. Really not surprised.

Apple product A released
Apple product B (successor) releases

People whine about how B is worse than A. QC going down etc etc

Repeat for every product launch.

FWIW, I still have my 4S and it really is amazing how cramped the screen feels going back. I do prefer the less scratch prone body of the 4S to
be honest but the 5 blows it away in performance and display quality. Oh yeah, I heart LTE
cababah is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 09:20 AM   #9
MrGimper
macrumors 65816

I have a white 5 and would never go back to my white 4s (the missus has it now). Technically the 5 is better in every way.

However, I must admit that I prefer the design of the 4/4s ... that "steel band sandwiched between two pieces of glass" look is much much better IMO.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 09:20 AM   #10
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by cababah View Post
Oh yeah, I heart LTE
This. LTE alone is more than enough to make me keep the iPhone 5.

I'm wondering how many people returning their iPhone 5s are "disappointed" in what they've READ about scuffs and scratches, and how many actually HAVE a whole bunch of damage. I'm betting quite a lot of it is the former.

Also, for old times' sake: people seem to forget how much everyone whined over scratches on the iPhone 4 when IT came out... and how much "worse" it was than the 3G/3GS.

In any case, a GhostArmor, ZAGG, or skin from dozens of other companies out there should mostly solve any scuffing problems.

As for design: the new iPhone 5 look has grown on me. I used to prefer the 4/4S design for looks, but I can't go back now. The 5 looks very distinctive, especially in the vast sea of 4 and 4S models I encounter every day. And I remember when the 4 came out, I thought THAT was pretty ugly, until I held it in my hand for a bit and used it.

Last edited by scaredpoet; Oct 2, 2012 at 09:30 AM.
scaredpoet is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:25 AM   #11
CooperHarris
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoyblazed View Post
I kinda miss the glass backing of my old 4S.. the back of the 5 is such a scratch magnet
Do you have pictures of your "scratch magnet"?
CooperHarris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 09:05 AM   #12
kplu191
macrumors newbie

Never had an iPhone til my 5. But I have to say I wouldn't even think of giving this thing up! It is perfect. Haven't used maps too much, but so far no problems there either. Love my new baby!
kplu191 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 09:21 AM   #13
PhoenixMac
macrumors 65816

LTE is all I needed. Scratch prone? If that's what your worried about when it comes to phones then boy do I have a deal for you.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 09:28 AM   #14
Want300
macrumors 65816

No way am I going back. I have an iPhone 5 as my personal phone and a 4S for work... I hate using the 4S now. I never thought I would feel so much of a difference with only a 0.5" screen gain.

Now, the 4S feels bulky and small. I did not expect that.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:08 PM   #15
johndallas999
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixMac View Post
LTE is all I needed. Scratch prone? If that's what your worried about when it comes to phones then boy do I have a deal for you.
What is the deal you have?
johndallas999 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 07:28 AM   #16
Mr Hill
macrumors 6502

The much improved battery life and LTE are enough reason to upgrade to the 5.
Mr Hill is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 07:32 AM   #17
Insulin Junkie
Banned

No, have both, not going back to the 4s (as good as it is, but the iPhone 5 is definitely better on pretty much every level). I love the weight reduction, really makes a difference when I'm using it in bed.

Also I'd rather have scuffs than risk the screen or the back shattering when I drop my phone like it was on the 4 / 4s models.
Insulin Junkie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:48 AM   #18
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

I'm content with the 4S right now. Thankfully, I'm one of those people who have never found a reason to justify a non reasonable purchase... I can definitely live with my 4S right now -- I'm still in love with this thing. I usually upgrade every 2 years or so, and I usually invest in the second iteration of Apple phones (ie. 3GS, 4S, 5S). Apple simply hasn't added enough to the iPhone 5 for me to truly feel any need to upgrade. I think it's dangerous to fall into the trap of feeling the need to constantly upgrade -- if that's the case, then you'll never be truly satisfied with your phone.
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 8.0
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:20 AM   #19
Knowlege Bomb
macrumors 68040

I made the switch after two months of owning the 5 and I'm very happy with the change. The 5 is a very nice phone but every time I used the 4 I had given to my girlfriend I was envious of the quality I felt. I have noticed no difference in speed (we don't have LTE here yet) so there's really nothing I'm missing.

I realize a lot of you prefer the lighter longer design but the size difference is so minimal and I like my fat n heavy phone. On top of that I have my Lockinfo and My3G back. No more low quality YouTube videos for this guy.
Knowlege Bomb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 09:36 AM   #20
BFizzzle
Banned

nah im going back to my iphone 3g..
BFizzzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 09:43 AM   #21
x-evil-x
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Few of my friends are getting 4S' again and selling their iPhone5, they are so disappointed with new phone. They say it just not Apple quality they used to buy. Your thoughts?
why are they disappointed? The ENTIRE phone is improved. a few of my friends say it looks very similar to a 4 and 4s but to me it doesnt. Glass back was more durable as far as scratches but the design wasnt as good as this. Protruding glass doesnt look as good as flush.
processer, cameras, thinner, lighter, bigger screen.
I would never go back to my 4.

what else do you want in a phone? really? You want it to feel as heavy as the old ones? why? every internal on this phone is upgraded. Just because something is light doesnt make it feel less Luxury feel.
x-evil-x is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:11 AM   #22
ddublu
macrumors 65816

No way...I picked up a clear case on ebay for $3 and it's probably the best phone case I have ever had....doesnt take away from the device and I also picked up one in black (not here yet). I love the feel, LTE, the speed of the processor, the camera, etc. The only thing left is for JB to become available.
ddublu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:33 AM   #23
Mr Hill
macrumors 6502

Tell your friends to shoot me an email. I'll gladly trade my 4s to them and "downgrade" to their iPhone 5.
Mr Hill is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 03:38 PM   #24
djransom
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hill View Post
Tell your friends to shoot me an email. I'll gladly trade my 4s to them and "downgrade" to their iPhone 5.
This reminds of the ad I seen on a Craigslist where a guy wanted to trade his iPhone 5 for a 4S and wanted $850 cash to go along with the deal as well.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 12:16 PM   #25
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
A few of my friends are getting 4S' again and selling their iPhone5, they are so disappointed with new phone. They say it just not Apple quality they used to buy. Your thoughts?
I much prefer the 5 for many reasons. I'm not sure I can think of any situation - in my opinion - where the 4S is a better choice, except perhaps if price is an issue.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone