Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following last week's open letter from Tim Cook in which he promised that Apple "will keep working non-stop" until the iOS 6 Maps app meets customers' standards for quality, Apple has indeed been making improvements to the service. While there is certainly a ways to go, it is clear that the company is indeed moving quickly to address issues and improve coverage for the flagship 3D mapping and imagery features in the app.

While improvements have been ongoing, MacRumors forum members yesterday began noticing what appears to be a larger set of additions to the 3D content in the Maps app, including both the satellite/aerial imagery and the standard maps. One region that was among the first to be noticed was the New York City area, with a number of improvements including new 3D imagery of the Statue of Liberty being seen.

statue_of_liberty_flyover.jpg
Old (left) and new (right) Flyover images of the Statue of Liberty
We've also heard from users who have experienced new Flyover imagery showing up in Honolulu, Hawaii and in the San Fernando Valley in the Los Angeles area. The changes are also affecting the standard vector-based maps as well, with users reporting new 3D buildings showing up in New York City and London.

Interestingly, not all users are seeing the new imagery, with some even doing side-by-side comparisons between devices with different results. The difference is presumably due to aggressive caching of maps and imagery, and users who are not yet seeing the new imagery should see updates in the relatively near future.

Article Link: Apple's 3D Maps and Imagery See Incremental Improvements

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
As I have been saying since before Maps was even announced... (If they do announce the app), it will take some time for it to become better than Google Maps. Thanks for the continuous improvements. :apple:

tiwizard

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Flyover is really cool to show off and it's also useless, but I still think it's a great way to show off the power of the iPhones...

I'm looking forward to seeing how they deal with some of the incorrect map data and how quickly they get it resolved... They're always improving Maps, people :)

mono1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Lansing, MI
As much as I think this whole Maps thing is ridiculously overblown, it is pretty insane that Apple didn't have major national landmarks rendering correctly at launch...

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
What about aeriel? My most important tool for navigation. Not '3D'. I hope they get it together quick.

Last edited:

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Also of note I am able to access Flyover in Honolulu, Hawaii - I have heard this is rolling out slowly and not available for everyone (I live here and that may be why I see it first).

Honolulu Flyover was not available until just recently - not a launch city.

Tim
ApplePredictions.com

Attachments

• IMG_0632.PNG
    IMG_0632.PNG
    993.9 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_0633.PNG
    IMG_0633.PNG
    930.7 KB · Views: 345

moderngamenewb

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
Flyover is really cool to show off and it's also useless, but I still think it's a great way to show off the power of the iPhones...

Sounds similar to Siri with the 4S. A cool feature to show off, but I don't use it that often.

I hope that they add public transportation to the maps app. If they add it back, then I'll probably upgrade back to ios 6

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
As I have been saying since before Maps was even announced... (If they do announce the app), it will take some time for it to become better than Google Maps. Thanks for the continuous improvements. :apple:

If only Apple had an entire year left in which they could use Google map tiles while developing their own solution... :rolleyes:

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
Sounds similar to Siri with the 4S. A cool feature to show off, but I don't use it that often.

I hope that they add public transportation to the maps app. If they add it back, then I'll probably upgrade back to ios 6

I don't understand this... My Apple Maps has public transportation already. :confused::confused::confused:

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    168 KB · Views: 238

thederby

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2007
Austin, TX

even though i have a navigation system in my car, it's really convenient to invoke siri while i'm driving and say "directions to 123 blah blah st" instead of having to mess with my nav unit.

as a bonus, those directions are spoken to me through my stereo.

ianray

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
@
In the last couple of days more detail has appeared on the map in the greater-Helsinki area. (e.g. Masala station)

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Fixing the 3D maps and adding additional POI is all fine and dandy, but I'd rather they tackle the wrong streets and addresses.

It's an inconvenience if I were to search for a store and it didn't show up, but I could still open Safari, do a web search, and find out it's physical address.

It's a serious problem when that address takes me to the wrong spot.

akac

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2003
Colorado
If only Apple had an entire year left in which they could use Google map tiles while developing their own solution... :rolleyes:

Too bad they don't. The agreement supposedly would've ended in June of next year; a few months before iOS 7.

Even if Apple deigned to do an iOS 6.5 with maps to meet that date, they'd arguably be in the same position.

That's great BUT...

I am extremely annoyed that I noticed on day one of iOS 6 that my business' info is outdated on the Maps app. I reported on day one (and every single day since), and nothing has been done. I have posted links to my company's web site (with the correct info) and my contact info many times to Apple but no response.

About a week after iOS6 came out I did a little experiment where I also informed Google of the info change as well.

Google updated their maps THE NEXT DAY. :eek:

What the hell Apple? :rolleyes: :mad:

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
This is not what they need to be working on first...

This is just bells and whistles, Apple needs to fix the incorrect locations and missing POIs first.

DblHelix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
I don't understand this... My Apple Maps has public transportation already. :confused::confused::confused:

Clik on route after entering anything in the destination and show the screenshot. It will take you to a list with apps installed that you can click on route or you can download other apps. It works like crap.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009

Have a read: http://daringfireball.net/2012/09/timing_of_apples_map_switch
Gruber makes some interesting points on why they had to act when they did because of how development cycles aligned.

In other news, anybody else notice that the fly-over of the Brooklyn Bridge is looking correct now?

Also, Las Vegas (at least the tourist portion) is now showing 3D fly-over -- it did not at launch (only 2D satellite).

Last edited:

thederby

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2007
Austin, TX
But I am not able to see Statue of Liberty in 3D. Why is it so?

Interestingly, not all users are seeing the new imagery, with some even doing side-by-side comparisons between devices with different results. The difference is presumably due to aggressive caching of maps and imagery, and users who are not yet seeing the new imagery should see updates in the relatively near future.

joesegh

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
I've been seeing small updates here and there. It will be an ongoing process. Best bet is for everyone to continue to report errors when they see them. I'm glad that the problems received such noteriety, because it is making sure that Apple stays on top of this!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.