Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Oct 9, 2012, 02:56 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Wirecutter's Pick for Best iPhone 5 Case: The Switcheasy Tones

According to gadget review site The Wirecutter, the best iPhone 5 case at the moment is the Switcheasy Tones.

After he left Gizmodo, longtime tech blogger Brian Lam decided to make a website to help people buy gadgets. It wouldn't focus on reviewing every possible product in a category, but would instead answer the question "Which one of these should I buy?". Now, The Wirecutter has named its pick for best iPhone 5 case.

The Wirecutter had this to say in its extraordinarily detailed iPhone 5 case review:
Quote:
After trying out most of the iPhone cases currently on the market, I'm using the Switcheasy Tones to protect my iPhone 5. It's exceptionally durable and unobtrusive, and it's a great value at $25.

Unlike the iPhone 4/4S, the iPhone 5's perimeter band -- the outer edge that includes the sleep/wake button -- is made of aluminum, which scratches more easily and warrants a protective layer.

After getting a launch-day iPhone, I tested cases now available from every major brand. As of now, I've looked at all available models from: Belkin, Incase, Otterbox, Speck, STM, and Incipio. Other brands including Ballistic, Case-Mate, Element Case, Grove Made, and Griffin won't have samples ready until later, and I don't expect any of these cases on the horizon to be better than our current pick, based on reviews of past models with the same design as the upcoming cases.

With this first batch, I conducted drop tests, judged everyday usability, and evaluated each model's aesthetics. For the cases that are updates to previous generation models, I researched past reviews to spot design updates and improvements. I also spoke with other expert reviewers to see what they're using.

I looked specifically at slim, everyday-use cases, as opposed models with protection from severe trauma, many of which sacrifice compactness and usability. In this everyday-use category, and this should apply to a majority of iPhone 5 owners, a case needs to stand up to general use and abuse, like waist-high drops onto concrete, or a bouncy ride in a packed messenger bag.
The Switcheasy Tones is available for $24.99 in seven color options through Switcheasy's website.

Article Link: Wirecutter's Pick for Best iPhone 5 Case: The Switcheasy Tones
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:03 PM   #2
Patriks7
macrumors 65816

Been a longtime fan and user of SwitchEasy products. I feel like they don't get enough praise, always try to recommend them to everyone.
Patriks7 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:05 PM   #3
KO95
macrumors newbie

AViiQ - Thin Series Cases.

Has anyone tried the AViiQ's thin series cases?
http://www.aviiq.com/collections/fro...-iphone-5-case

I believe that'll be my iPhone 5 case.
KO95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:08 PM   #4
rhp2424
macrumors member

I have this case and love it!
rhp2424 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:08 PM   #5
slicecom
macrumors 68000

The best case is the one Jonathan Ive designed.
slicecom is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:09 PM   #6
barkmonster
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicecom View Post
Would that be the one that isn't resistant to scratches and creates the need to house it in cases like this to prevent them? Genius design
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:10 PM   #7
zman2100
macrumors regular

Still going naked.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:11 PM   #8
BJB Productions
macrumors 6502a

I'm a huge Switcheasy fan, but I personally kinda thought the Tones looked rather ugly. Just my impression. Though, I'm sure it's great protection.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:14 PM   #9
Whatsit
macrumors newbie

I was happy with the InCase case I had for my 4 (I got it with the free case program) but have been enjoying going naked with my iPhone 5. I like the look and feel of the aluminum back. Haven't had any scratching problems with it. If so, I may change my mind. (And if so, the Tones case looks pretty good, IMO.) But I'm reasonably careful about not storing my phone in the same pocket with my keys.
Whatsit is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:11 PM   #10
slicecom
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkmonster View Post
Would that be the one that isn't resistant to scratches and creates the need to house it in cases like this to prevent them? Genius design
It performs quite amazingly in drop tests, and cases usually end up causing more scuffs than they prevent.
slicecom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:23 PM   #11
george-brooks
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
This.

I've had a case on all of my previous iPhones. The original because of its value, the 3G and 3Gs to prevent a broken screen (this was of course back when this was becoming a big issue, and for the record, the 3G broke anyway), the 4 and 4S to protect the glass back and for antennagate, but I've been going naked with my 5. I would prefer to have a case for protection, but the phone is so thin that I don't want to add any bulk to it at all, and imo, this is by far the most beautiful iPhone design yet. I want to show it off, at least for the time being.

A few nicks already around the edges, but no scratches on the back yet. I feel better knowing that I have AppleCare and can replace the phone for a small fee if I ever drop it and it sustains significant damage. Maybe I'll get a case when there are some more options I like, but for now I'm taking my chances and going naked!
george-brooks is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:54 PM   #12
roland.g
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by george-brooks View Post
This.

I've had a case on all of my previous iPhones. The original because of its value, the 3G and 3Gs to prevent a broken screen (this was of course back when this was becoming a big issue, and for the record, the 3G broke anyway), the 4 and 4S to protect the glass back and for antennagate, but I've been going naked with my 5. I would prefer to have a case for protection, but the phone is so thin that I don't want to add any bulk to it at all, and imo, this is by far the most beautiful iPhone design yet. I want to show it off, at least for the time being.

A few nicks already around the edges, but no scratches on the back yet. I feel better knowing that I have AppleCare and can replace the phone for a small fee if I ever drop it and it sustains significant damage. Maybe I'll get a case when there are some more options I like, but for now I'm taking my chances and going naked!
I use a skin. There are many out there. Zagg, WrapSol, XO, etc. The list is fairly extensive. I've used BSE - www.bestskinsever.com since the original iPhone and on my iPad and MacBook Air and find their product, application process, and most of all lower price better to the others. I only use the body version which wraps the band and back. I prefer to leave the screen free. The skin adds a little bit of extra grip which is nice. And gives me piece of mind against scratching. For those wanting something on the screen I suggest SGP Steinheil or PowerSupportUSA screen films which are slick and quite clear.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 04:02 PM   #13
ToomeyND
macrumors 6502

Camera Lense

I agree with going naked. Been doing it with my iPhone 4 for almost 2 years now. I agree with the idea that the great design should stand by itself.

That said, my camera is now totally scratched up because it is flush with the rest of the phone. I don't care about scratches on the back glass, but when all my photos are blurred because of scratches, I will seriously consider covering my next phone.
ToomeyND is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 04:09 PM   #14
JTToft
macrumors 6502a

The iPhone 5 is one of the most beautiful products ever made. It shouldn't be covered up by an ugly case.
JTToft is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:08 PM   #15
rdlink
macrumors 65816

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland.g View Post
I use a skin. There are many out there. Zagg, WrapSol, XO, etc. The list is fairly extensive. I've used BSE - www.bestskinsever.com since the original iPhone and on my iPad and MacBook Air and find their product, application process, and most of all lower price better to the others. I only use the body version which wraps the band and back. I prefer to leave the screen free. The skin adds a little bit of extra grip which is nice. And gives me piece of mind against scratching. For those wanting something on the screen I suggest SGP Steinheil or PowerSupportUSA screen films which are slick and quite clear.

Thanks for this. I have been using Zagg and one of their competitors for years. I decided to try BSE, since it was only $9 for full set of back, front and sides. I also ordered the Zagg full body set the same day. They both came in last night, and I decided to start with BSE, since it was the cheapest. The Zagg is going back! The BSE was easy to install, very customized to the shape of the phone and the buttons, and it's much smoother and and more invisible than the Zagg. All for about a third the price. I'm a convert!

Edit: BTW: When it came to the cutouts around buttons, speaker grilles, camera lenses, etc., the BSE was very nice an professional looking. The Zagg was the one that looked cheaper. Really.

Last edited by rdlink; Oct 20, 2012 at 01:10 PM.
rdlink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 05:22 PM   #16
vthree
macrumors member

Quote:
This.

I too concur. now that I have APP+ ... its $49 for a new phone if something major did happen. buying a case is easily more than half of that fee... I don't see a point in a case. In 2 years, I'll upgrade to a new phone anyways... If i didn't already know that then maybe i'd go with a case -- otherwise I'm never reckless with my phone.
vthree is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 09:02 PM   #17
sekazi
macrumors 6502

Quote:
This.

Agree. I have gotten cases for all my iPhones but this time around I have already bought two and not satisfied with either so I have not used a case for my iPhone 5 since launch. Now if someone was to release a bumper just like the iPhone 4 bumper then I would likely change my mind as I like the grip it provides on a surface so I can sit it on my dash without it flying off. The i-BLASON bumper released makes the phone feel strangely bulky but the Apple Bumper never did a such of a thing for me.

My black iPhone is still scratch free since launch.

Back at the launch of the iPad 3 I decided to ditch screen protectors so since then I have removed them from all of my devices. Still no scratches since removal. But I did keep the ZUM SC Ultimate and Leather Smart Cover on my iPad and Speck Candy Shell on my iPod touch G3.

People who complain about the phone getting scratched in their pocket dont put it in there with keys and change. The people who do this boggles my mind. Use a pocket for you phone, a pocket for your keys and a pocket for you wallet. It is that simple. I have never put a phone in with keys and change even my cheap Nokia I had years ago that got tossed around.
sekazi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 07:26 PM   #18
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
I find it very ironic that so many people complain that other phones being made of durable plastic feel cheap, and go on and on about how beautiful the iPhone is, but then they cover their beautiful iPhone in a cheap feeling plastic case.

Apple made the iPhone out of aluminum because that is the very best material that could possibly be used.
iGrip is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:01 PM   #19
jpine
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
I find it very ironic that so many people complain that other phones being made of durable plastic feel cheap, and go on and on about how beautiful the iPhone is, but then they cover their beautiful iPhone in a cheap feeling plastic case.

Apple made the iPhone out of aluminum because that is the very best material that could possibly be used.
I just wished someone would have thought of using anodized aluminum like my Maglite flashlight. It's nearly 20 years old and has very few scratches. I treat it far rougher than I do a cell phone.
jpine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 08:15 PM   #20
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
I (and many) disagree. I've owned every iPhone variant (used to work for Apple in Cupertino), and the 5 (6th version) seems to be the least durable. The new, thinner front touch-screen is much more susceptible to breakage than the 4/4S. There are many who have already shattered the front glass in situations that previous models easily brushed off.

Unfortunately, as much as Ive may hate cases, until Apple develops a sturdy shell they will be a necessary evil.
bedifferent is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:43 PM   #21
mdelvecchio
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post
The new, thinner front touch-screen is much more susceptible to breakage than the 4/4S. There are many who have already shattered the front glass in situations that previous models easily brushed off.
wheres your data on this?
mdelvecchio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:02 PM   #22
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelvecchio View Post
wheres your data on this?
Are you kidding? You want empirical data? Ok. (here's a quick one, read the comments: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...e-says-report/ )

Placing that aside, and foregoing that google is your own friend, how about the latest news that Foxconn is slowing production due to the poor anodization of the back:

Increased iPhone 5 Quality Control Standards to Address Scratches Slowing Production
bedifferent is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:43 PM   #23
laidbacknate
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Jon Ive designed a great case, but if you plan on using your iPhone "naked" then prepare to accept the scratches and dings that will appear all over the aluminum casing.

Sure, I love the look of my iPhone 5, but I also like being able to set it down on a counter top without risking permanent damage. How about Ghost Armor? Slim profile, hardly noticeable, supremely durable. Or even a clear case if you just like the way it looks.

iPhone 5 is great, looks great, feels great in the hand, but I also want it to last. Rollin' naked is for the supremely brave, and/or supremely stupid.
laidbacknate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:49 AM   #24
PinkyMacGodess
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbacknate View Post
Rollin' naked is for the supremely brave, and/or supremely stupid.
But there are people that buy SUV's and aside from the occasional dirt clod or tire tracks left from a landscaping truck, never ever see ANY off road action. That's not to say that they shouldn't have bought an SUV, I'm sure they have their reasons, but theirs will make a great score on the used market with no dents and scratches and stress of off road use. Some people buy mobile phones and they never see anything but their ear, and their pants/suit coat pocket. And some people just expect some wear to show on their products. Still I wonder if the aluminum is coated properly. Wouldn't hard anodizing cause the surface to be more durable? Is that material actually stainless steel, or aluminum? Aluminum would scratch a lot easier than stainless... Stainless would be harder to permanently color. Maybe they should have used a hard anodized aluminum instead, unless the reason for the metal plate is to add stiffness/rigidity almost as an afterthought...
PinkyMacGodess is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:19 PM   #25
hamkor04
macrumors 6502

Quote:
there is one out-there?

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion