Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:37 PM   #1
AFPoster
macrumors 65816

Possible? Jquery Slider?

Is it possible to upload a pdf document (more than 1 page) to your server so that when you click on: "for more information on this research click here" hyperlink that it opens a jquery module that allows you to scroll vertically through the PDF without the ability to save?
AFPoster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:42 PM   #2
sammich
macrumors 601

Use scribd.com and disabled downloading, copying, etc.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 04:25 PM   #3
AlanShutko
macrumors 6502

Or export it to flash in some other way. I did a google for "convert pdf to flash" and a bunch of options came up. I haven't tried any of them, but they are options if you don't want to depend on a third-party site.

I have to say, though, if I were one of your users I would be extremely annoyed by this. Seeing something is on scribd is usually enough to make click away.
AlanShutko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 06:28 PM   #4
AFPoster
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanShutko View Post
Or export it to flash in some other way. I did a google for "convert pdf to flash" and a bunch of options came up. I haven't tried any of them, but they are options if you don't want to depend on a third-party site.

I have to say, though, if I were one of your users I would be extremely annoyed by this. Seeing something is on scribd is usually enough to make click away.
We currently have just an image showing in a jquery pop-up, and we want the whole document to show. We just don't want our competition stealing the reports which is why we need the report disabled for downloading.
AFPoster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 06:59 PM   #5
Laird Knox
macrumors 65816

That wouldn't make it impossible to download the report - just more steps.

1) visit page
2) show source
3) copy PDF URL from source view
4) paste URL in address bar of browser.

Sorry it doesn't answer your first question. Just wanted to make sure you are aware it isn't as secure as your posts implied.
Laird Knox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:54 AM   #6
SrWebDeveloper
macrumors 68000

To OP:

This requires a server side solution, i.e. convert PDF to HTML so you can show whatever HTML you want, the PDF document is secured as its not located within the document root.

http://www.articlediary.com/article/...rsion-125.html

I recommend the PHP solution towards the middle of that page, and note that this obviously requires you have access to your web server settings in case you need to make adjustments, shell access so you can change permissions and basic troubleshooting.

Once the PDF is converted server side you've got an HTML file which you can manipulate via regular expressions, anchors and so on to cut out the sensitive parts and only show what you want.
SrWebDeveloper is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development