Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
I'm looking at buying a portable digital sound recorder. I want to use it to record environmental sounds, music, noise etc to be used when I make slideshows from my photos. The only recorder I know anything about is the Zoom H4n. I have a friend who uses this, and have been pointed towards it by some retailers. DOes anyone have any opinions about this device, anything I should watch out for, or are there better alternatives, especially at this price as I know there are many much cheaper recorders.

xav8tor

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
Just visit B&H Photo (Audio section), Guitar Center, Musician's Friend or Sweetwater Sound and read the specs and reviews for your needs. There are dozens of alternatives.

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
i have the h2 and its still great, even at 4yrs old.

they do the job no doubt.

I was going to get one, but opted for the Tascam DR-40. There are "better" units out there, but I liked that this one allows you to record 4 streams (stereo from the built-in mics, and two XLR jacks in). Pretty versatile.

The built in mics aren't bad at all. Usable but not exceptional in any way.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"The only recorder I know anything about is the Zoom H4n."

There are many, many handhelds out there now, most of very good quality.

You might check out the ZOOM H2n or even the ZOOM H1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.