Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BurningWater

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
I dropped it on the bathroom floor just once and it now has a small scratch. It's certainly not very noticeable unless I point it out.. but it's still there :(

I'm going to get a case before I ruin it even more :eek:

The new iPod is like a bar of soap in my hands sometimes.. I can see why they added the loop.

Last edited:

Atomike

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2008
Do these even exist yet? I was under the impression that Apple hadn't released anything to 3rd party vendors and thus cases won't be out for a while. :mad:

BurningWater

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
Do these even exist yet? I was under the impression that Apple hadn't released anything to 3rd party vendors and thus cases won't be out for a while. :mad:

I don't know if they exist but I'm certainly getting one the minute they come out.

The back of this device is so easy to scratch it's a bit depressing :(

ninaco

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2012
VA
I dropped it on the bathroom floor just once and it now has a small scratch. It's certainly not very noticeable unless I point it out.. but it's still there :(

The new iPod is like a bar of soap in my hands sometimes.. I can see why they added the loop.

Sorry you got the scratch! At least it's not worse than that.

The 5g touch feels slippery. I've been using the loop. Without it I'm sure I would have dropped it by now.

I don't use a cover w/my iPods, but the touch will be an exception. I'm thinking a clear skin because I don't want to add thickness or cover the color.

gerbilbox

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2003

You're probably thinking about the specs for the Lightning connector. A few weeks ago MacRumors posted the spec sheet with precise measurements of the new iPod touch for use by accessory makers, such as for cases. I saw a few iPod touch 5 cases, but the iPod isn't nearly as popular as the iPhone so they're not in the same rush to cases out. The moment Speck releases theirs I'm ordering!

ninaco

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2012
VA
I went to decalgirl looking for a skin. They don't have them yet. In fact the 5g touch isn't mentioned on the site at all. The new iPhone is, of course. And, so are skins for the iPad mini.

I bet cases for the touch are going to be a low priority for some manufacturers & they're going to concentrate on the other two Apple devices which will probably bring in a lot more revenue.

Itouch g1

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Ottawa
I just ordered a iPhone sleeve for the interim (a leather one from Spigen). Hoping it works well until the hybrid cases are available.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

I got a skin for my Touch 3rd gen and it makes it very easy to hold (without the bulk of a case).

I plan on getting an IPT5 and getting a skin for it. Bestskinsever is starting to ship iPod Touch 5 skins on 10/23/12 (taking pre-orders now).

aquaboi924

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2012
i definitely would if i could find one locally...searched all the stores in my area and all they have are those silicon soft cases which i don't like. sadly, amazon is not an option for me...looks like i'd have to wait for a few more days as the touch is already out in stores...

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Cases are good, but in my opinion, and my experience, screen protectors are almost useless. They're good for deterring fingerprints and smudges, but I have used the iPod Touch since the day the first one was released, and I have never had a single significant scratch on the screen of any of them.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
Cases are good, but in my opinion, and my experience, screen protectors are almost useless. They're good for deterring fingerprints and smudges, but I have used the iPod Touch since the day the first one was released, and I have never had a single significant scratch on the screen of any of them.

I have to agree about screen protectors and how unnecessary they are. Especially with the new gorrila glass with the oleophobic coating it doesn't even smudge. I do need a case just to not let this little thing slip out of my hands along with protecting the aluminum from scratches. I feel so stupid but I have to use the lanyard to feel safe holding it.

Rad-o

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2012
The 5th gen does not scratch easily as 4th gen or the iPhone ! Check YouTube .. There are some scratch tests . And small scratches aren't noticeable .

To asnwer your question , go to eBay or amazon and search for the cases . There aren't many though .. :/

----------

BeeJee

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
Long Island/North Jersey

You dropped your phone on the floor and the only damage was a small scratch that is only noticeable when pointed out, and now you think that the 5G NEEDS to be wrapped in an ugly case? Great logic. Some of you guys act like tiny scratches are the end of the world, honestly, how do you even enjoy the thing when all you do is stare at it.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
My favourite case, (I've tried out half a dozen) along with my second favourite iems:

2012-12-01%252015.42.32.jpg

2012-12-01%252015.42.48.jpg

2012-12-01%252015.45.17.jpg

RheesSnow

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2012
Birmingham UK
I haven't got a case on mine and touch wood I've not dropped it or had anything happen which could cause it damage (that's not to say that I won't in future). The fact you dropped it and it's got a small, non-noticeable scratch on it shows that it's made from pretty sturdy stuff but still.

Used this website before for camera cases etc and they've got a range of iPod stuff on there (some still awaiting stock - could be the Christmas rush?!?) http://www.lovecases.co.uk/ipod/ipod-touch-cases-covers/5g.html some do look nice but I'm unsure if I want one but I like how it originally looks without hiding it behind a case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.