Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gto55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
Tel Aviv
HTC-J-Butterfly-HTL21-3V-red.png

theverge_560.jpg

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/17/...nning-5-inch-1080p-j-butterfly-phone-in-japan

HTC has been working on a new flagship phone with a 1080p display, and we got to see it in Tokyo today. It's the HTC J Butterfly, and it's set for a release this December on AU / KDDI. A follow-up to the previous HTC J, the Butterfly uses the same red and black color scheme and Rhyme-inspired skin, though this time it's running on top of Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. Inside there's a quad-core 1.5GHz Snapdragon S4 Pro APQ8064 processor, 2GB of RAM, and an 8-megapixel camera.

The real attraction, though, is the 5-inch full HD Super LCD 3 screen — it's truly a sight to behold. The Super LCD 2 seen in HTC's previous flagship One X was arguably the best panel on the market, but we think its successor is the new champion. Color reproduction is excellent, the 440ppi resolution is astonishing, and the screen's slightly curved edges make the image look like it's melting off the side of the phone. It doesn't feel overbearing in the hands, either; the phone's 9.1mm thinness and slim bezel make it surprisingly compact, and we found it was easily pocketable. The J Butterfly's 2,020mAh battery is above average in capacity, though we're interested to find out how it'll keep up with powering so many pixels throughout the course of a day.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
This will be branded as the droid incredible X in America and rumoured to be heading to Verizon.

I love HTC and own a One x, but....

Problem I see with it, the Note 2 already fills this niche for a very big screen phone. The HTC doesn't have a pen, and its software is basically same as its other handsets, no software tailoring to actually put that big screen to use like the Note 2. To me this is the very definition of a 'me too' product that actually misses the point of its competitor.

I prefer HTC design, but the Note 2 is a much more rounded and well devised handset in comparison to this, with vastly more productivity options that Samsung have built into the software, than just having a big screen as HTC seem to have copied.

Also 2,000mah battery in a 1080p screen? I can not imagine HTC have improved its rather lame track record in regards to battery life with the one x series with that. If the phone gets 3 hours of screen on time, I'll be shocked....

Last edited:

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
This will be branded as the droid incredible X in America and rumoured to be heading to Verizon.

Problem I see with it, the Note 2 already fills this niche for a very big screen phone. The HTC doesn't have a pen, and its software is basically same as its other handsets, no software tailoring to actually put that big screen to use like the Note 2. To me this is the very definition of a 'me too' product that actually misses the point of its competitor.

I prefer HTC design, but the Note 2 is a much more rounded and well devised handset in comparison to this, with vastly more productivity options that Samsung have built into the software, than just having a big screen as HTC seem to have copied.

Also 2,000mah battery in a 1080p screen? I can not imagine HTC have improved its rather lame track record in regards to battery life with the one x series with that. If the phone gets 3 hours of screen on time, I'll be shocked....

You bring up some very valid points. These are the two phones that I was most interested in as a Verizon user.

I think that you are correct wrt battery life. Between the S4 Pro and that 1080p screen, I don't think that the battery is powerful enough. I do like HTC's build quality over Samsung's, but the battery may be the feature that convinces me to get the Note II in this generation. Then, hopefully, the Note III will have the 1080p display and an A15 based quad core processor late next year.

GL

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I'm sure certain people will say anything over 300ppi is pointless but that screen looks amazing. Can't wait to see what's available on smartphones this time next year.

Still planning on getting the Note II but on a side note, glad to see there's no hump on the back of that camera..

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
With Google

So the back has "with Google"....

We know this going to be the Droid Incredible X, so not a nexus device.

Can we safely now assume "with google" is going to be branding that comes with all JB devices going forward rather than indicative of being a "nexus" device.

And can we finally kill the multiple nexus device rumours.....

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012

I had another go with the Note 2 the other day and though I love the concept with the S Pen and all, I have to finally admit that I just can't stand the cheap build quality & look of the thing. And the same goes for TouchWiz, so If I'd buy a Note 2 I'd have to root it and go stock JB to make it look and feel acceptable, which would then do away with the nifty S Pen functionality anyway. What's left then is a big screen phone with a light plasticky build - and compared to that, this HTC would honestly be quite a superior alternative.

So I don't see this phone just failing straight up as a competitor to the Note 2. The Note has it's strengths, but so does this one. Superior build quality/design + screen would be enough for many, I think.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Why, why, why. The last thing I need is another super phone to make it hard for me to decide! ;-) This is crazy and now I want it. Dammit.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
It's gonna be a battery guzzler, watch out.

And that phone better not hit the states in its current look.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
And that phone better not hit the states in its current look.
The linked article shows different colored backs, including black and white.

This looks nice - HTC seemed to have slipped between cracks for a while but this phone looks really nice. May be a little to large for me but it certainly appears to be a nice design.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
The linked article shows different colored backs, including black and white.

This looks nice - HTC seemed to have slipped between cracks for a while but this phone looks really nice. May be a little to large for me but it certainly appears to be a nice design.

I just am opposed to an all glossy plastic design. HTC usually has better materials.

In Japan though, I hear they associate glossy plastic with high-end, which is why everything that comes out over there looks like that.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
IMHO. This is MUCH better than the Note II. The size seems better, more pocketable and easy to hold and well I don't even have to speak on the screen. Now give the US version a better battery and this is one amazing device.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
In Japan though, I hear they associate glossy plastic with high-end, which is why everything that comes out over there looks like that.

Ive not heard that, perhaps you are thinking of the lacquered celluloid or resin that is used on pens and the like and is highly sought the world over.

I have one of these hand made pens (Nakaya) it certainly is a luxury item.

IMG_3230.jpg

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
As much as I love Apple, and have supported, and will continue to support them. It's a shame that they stick to their modest phone upgrades every year. The iPhone 5 is nice, but this phone looks absolutely incredible. I own an S III, but I'm even considering upgrading next year already. :cool:

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Not if your illiterate it isnt ;-) :p

Brilliant. Still laughing. Haven't even got a comeback.:)

----------
Back on topic.

I must admit that I like it. The omission of the smart pen would not be a deal breaker for my use, having compared the HTC 1X to the S3 I found the HTC to feel better made and more substantial (IMHO), I would imagine that this would be the same when comparing this to the Note 2. That screen will be to die for.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That all sounds fine and dandy but lol at the battery. Will HTC ever learn?

The article states that its above average batter and until we see it in real world usage we'll not know. LTE equipped phones tend to have poor battery performance anyways - just look at the iPhone 5. It lasts less then the iPhone 4s.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
The article states that its above average batter and until we see it in real world usage we'll not know. LTE equipped phones tend to have poor battery performance anyways - just look at the iPhone 5. It lasts less then the iPhone 4s.

The iPhone 5 doesn't last less than the 4S. It's on par if not better than my 4.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I'm just noticing that HTC went with the tall and skinny look. Not sure how I feel about that. But I still want it. Lol

nba1341

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2007
So the back has "with Google"....

We know this going to be the Droid Incredible X, so not a nexus device.

Can we safely now assume "with google" is going to be branding that comes with all JB devices going forward rather than indicative of being a "nexus" device.

And can we finally kill the multiple nexus device rumours.....

Um no. However the only HTC phones that contain with google are usually the ones without sense on them. G1, G2 being examples

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.