Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tyler.frost92

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Leonard, Michigan
So I will be upgrading to the iPhone 5 in early December. I'm curious as to whether there are any good tethering apps for iOS. I'm currently using the HTC thunderbolt and I tether a lot (via easytether pro). I can even use utorrent on my mbp with it and achieve pretty good speeds. But if this isn't possible with the iPhone I might have to stay with android :(

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
No none at all until jailbreak is done. You pay and use the one from your carrier until then.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
So I will be upgrading to the iPhone 5 in early December. I'm curious as to whether there are any good tethering apps for iOS. I'm currently using the HTC thunderbolt and I tether a lot (via easytether pro). I can even use utorrent on my mbp with it and achieve pretty good speeds. But if this isn't possible with the iPhone I might have to stay with android :(

Verizon offers it free with all the new share plans!

It's in the settings panel.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008

No app necessary. tethering is baked in!

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Pics or it didn't happen.

I have 3 lines, 2 iPhones and 1 dumb phone.

I used to have 1400 mins/ 500 Txt / "Unlimited" slow as hell, throttled data

Average bill $200

Now I have Unl Mins / Unl Txt / 10GB Data

about $200

I have a 25% corporate discount...so that's why its a little lower than most people.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
It came out to be the same price as my "Unlimited" plan...and I don't get throttled. If I find that 10GB is too much data for me, I will even be able to lower the price!

First Verizon does not throttle LTE, it was part of the spectrum purchase agreement, I do over 20 gigs a month, never throttled.

Second you are saying that you got 10 gigs for $30.00. The same price as unlimited?

Sir I do not believe you, 10 gigs is quite a bit more than $30.00

----------

That will change soon.

Get ready to experience 14.4 speeds after 3GB.

No it wont, its in their spectrum purchase agreement. They just had to pay millions for such infractions. So sorry, but you are mistaken.:cool:

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
First Verizon does not throttle LTE, it was part of the spectrum purchase agreement, I do over 20 gigs a month, never throttled.

Second you are saying that you got 10 gigs for $30.00. The same price as unlimited?

Sir I do not believe you, 10 gigs is quite a bit more than $30.00

----------

No it wont, its in their spectrum purchase agreement. They just had to pay millions for such infractions. So sorry, but you are mistaken.:cool:

No, I'm saying that with the unlimited talk/text and 10GB data it comes to the same price as it used to be with 1400 mins/500 text and unlimited data.

so $100 for 3 phones sharing 10GB data...then $40 per smartphone and $30 for the dumb phone....so thats $210 - 25% + taxes, it comes to about $200

I was paying $89 for 1400 mins, then $10 per line for 500 texts, then $10 per line, then $30 for "unlimited" data so $90 + $30 + $30 + $60 = $210 - 25% + taxes = same damn price.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
I'm still under the old 30 dollar unlimited data, no throttling. Sometimes I use up to 25gb in a month

You shouldn't have any problems tethering with the iPhone 5. Simply turn on the iPhone, go into Settings, click on "Personal Hotspot" and slide the switch to on. Boom, you've got a personal hotspot. No need for any extra apps or the like, it's built-in and works great, especially over LTE!

tyler.frost92

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Leonard, Michigan
You shouldn't have any problems tethering with the iPhone 5. Simply turn on the iPhone, go into Settings, click on "Personal Hotspot" and slide the switch to on. Boom, you've got a personal hotspot. No need for any extra apps or the like, it's built-in and works great, especially over LTE!

I dont have to pay any extra monthly fee?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.