Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I have a mac mini running 24/7 as my HTPC/server and want to throw it's idle time at grid computing. Yes, I have jumped back in.

But I can't find any humanitarian projects that will use the AMD GPU. Are there any for us mac users, or do we only get number crunchers?

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
medical research, things like that. For example, I'm running poem, world community grid(cancer and aids projects), and rosetta.

Last edited:

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
You want a humanitarian app and you're running around with this sig?:

Note to the mods: Either bring back the downvote button or grant me the ability to assault people over the internet.

Well then...

-SC

Meldar

macrumors regular
To the best of my knowledge, the only BOINC projects supporting AMD GPUs on Intel Macs are Collatz (mathematics), Einstein (astronomy), and PrimeGrid (mathematics).

OpenCL support on Mac is still in the early-ish stages of testing, likely due to the fact Windows-based machines with AMD GPUs far exceed the amount of Macs with AMD GPUs.

If I've missed something, apologies. I don't run GPU applications on my Macs at all, since they are too old and get way too hot!

AppleMacFinder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2009
WCG (World Community Grid) has a lot of great "humanitarian" projects, like the Clean Water project.

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
HCC1 has about 25 days left. Hopefully WCG gets another GPU project running soon after. Another project I crunch is climate prediction. Doesn't use GPU but still a worthy project. Wu's are hard to get but they take awhile to crunch.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
We all know GPUs are less versatile than CPUs, but are massively powerful. While not every project is suitable for GPU crunching, it helps to have HCC demonstrate we mac users are a viable resource.

I'm just glad WCG is handing out GPU WUs for mac users. It may sound childish, but I like the idea that my idle time is contributing to someones health, and the GPU has not been what I paid for until recently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.