Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frozzie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Apart from size,

Both iPad 2 and mini have same processor, same storage, same resolution, same app compatibility,

and mini has better camera, has siri, has better portability, better network capability (4G vs 3G on iPad 2) and yet is cheaper.

How is this possible? I thought the more portable a model becomes for same power, it should be more expensive? Like you wouldn't expect Macbook Air to be cheaper than Macbook Pro for same specs right?

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
It makes no sense then that they kept the iPad 2 which has the same specks as the iPad Mini but discontinued the iPad 3 which only came out 7 months ago.

Frozzie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
larger screen?

By that logic Macbook Pro 13 inch without retina should be more expensive than Macbook Air 13 inch with same specs. But reality is different, and I don't think it is because Macbook Air has 25088 more pixels ((1366*768)-(1280*800)=25088) than Pro.

If a product is more portable, it should be more expensive, not cheaper.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
I don't think you can say "apart from size".

The iPad mini would not entice me at any price point or combination of tech specs. It is simply too small for my tastes.

I love the size of the iPad (be it a 1, 2, 3, or 4).

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Fully agree, OP. I'm sure there are a few who will choose it, but it seems a ridiculously bad deal compared to both the iPad 4 and the mini.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
I agree, the iPad 2 should be gone now. Apple should just have the iPad mini and iPad.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
I think Apple is making it available for emerging markets that need the screen size.

Or they'll let the back-stock run out.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
I agree, the iPad 2 should be gone now. Apple should just have the iPad mini and iPad.

The margins on the iPad 2 are much higher than the newer models, so why wouldn't Apple want to sell something that makes them gobs of money. There are plenty of people who say "I can't afford/don't need the retina, but want a big screen", so they'll buy the ipad 2.

faiz23

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
hmmm....lets see and think about this. My cousin paid $299 for his ipad like 2 months ago and I paid $359 when the ipad 2 dropped in price due to the pathethic 6 month cycle ipad 3 the NEW ipad that is oh so old was released. Why would i paid $329 for a smaller screen. This ipad is for my wife and toddler who do not care about specs but just want the 10" screen and bang for buck. $329 for ipad mini or $359 for ipad 2. You decide :apple:

Now apple is selling the ipad 3 for $379 and shop discover has 5%. Also apple will give you a $30 coupon if you know how to ask for it :rolleyes:

I get to enjoy 6 month old tech at a fraction

Attachments

• photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    201.2 KB · Views: 176
  • ipad.jpg
    ipad.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 190

BSDanalyst

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2013
Hong Kong
I still don't understand the point of the iPad mini in the customer's perspective.

If I want a smaller screen, I'll use my iPhone, and if I want a larger screen, I'll just use the big iPad. Why would I want a larger screen that's not really that large in the first place?

Donki

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2013
I still don't understand the point of the iPad mini in the customer's perspective.

If I want a smaller screen, I'll use my iPhone, and if I want a larger screen, I'll just use the big iPad. Why would I want a larger screen that's not really that large in the first place?

It all depends what its used for, I have a Mini and a full sized pad, I would say I use the Mini 90% of the time. For my 1 hour commute on a busy train its a joy to hold, its light I can slip it in and out of my bag quickly and easily. Its much bigger than my phone and for gaming IMO its the perfect size. At home I would use my iPad 3 if I was watching a movie or something but even then I would go to my Mini simply because its so easily handled for long periods of time.

Just because you don't see any need for it doesnt mean other people dont, its been a HUGE success for a reason.

MagicHAM

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2013
Australia
It makes no sense then that they kept the iPad 2 which has the same specks as the iPad Mini but discontinued the iPad 3 which only came out 7 months ago.

I actually find myself agreeing with you here. They have the Ipad non retina currently, but i would think that they would drop this and the ipad 2 when the new Ipad 5 or when the Retina Ipad mini comes out. Would make no sense to keep them all.

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
I don't think you can say "apart from size".

The iPad mini would not entice me at any price point or combination of tech specs. It is simply too small for my tastes.

I love the size of the iPad (be it a 1, 2, 3, or 4).

Couldn't agree more. I tried the mini and then returned it.

Screen too small, period!

Princejb134

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
We'll I sold my iPad 2 to buy a iPad mini thinking it would be easier to travel to school with
I was so wrong about this
PDF seemed harder to look at it since the mini screen was so small, so I ended up trading my mini for a iPad 2 through Craigslist
I dot really use Siri or any of the extra features they don't have on iPad 2 so IMF ood:)

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011

And then there's the goldilocks sizes ipad mini. The ipad mini sales seem to contradict your personal preferences.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
Apart from size,

Both iPad 2 and mini have same processor, same storage, same resolution, same app compatibility,

and mini has better camera, has siri, has better portability, better network capability (4G vs 3G on iPad 2) and yet is cheaper.

How is this possible? I thought the more portable a model becomes for same power, it should be more expensive? Like you wouldn't expect Macbook Air to be cheaper than Macbook Pro for same specs right?

Simple. I have no interest in the iPad mini. None.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011

No one can tell you why you would or would not on any topic. That's your decision to make. The mistake you're making is assuming that your preferences are universal when iPad Mini sales figures clearly indicate that's not the case.

Use whatever works for you.

TrollToddington

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011

You wrongly assume that everybody owns an iPhone. Now let me explain my customer perspective, az a photographer I want to save every bit of weight in my photo bag. The big iPad is ~650gr, the mini is ~350gr, the difference is not small. Not to mention that, together with its case, my iPad2 weights close to 1kg The big iPad 4 feels very clunky, the small is holdable with just one hand.

On top of that, the screen of the iPhone is just too small for photo showing/previewing. I understand the iPhone is a do-it-all device and if I had one I'd never consider buying an iPad at all. Thankfully, I'm not interested in having an iPhone. What about the fact the base iPhone is twice as expensive as the base iPad mini?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.