Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iFixit has already performed one of its traditional high-quality teardowns on the new 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro, noting that while those looking to repair their machines face many of the same challenges seen with the 15-inch model, there are a few changes that improve accessibility somewhat.

One of the most interesting changes relative to the larger model is a battery layout that leaves the area underneath the trackpad free of battery cells. In place of battery cells in that location, Apple has elected to mount the 13-inch model's flash storage, a move that allows access to the trackpad for replacement if necessary.

retina_macbook_pro_13_ssd_trackpad.jpg

Another one of iFixit's major criticisms of the 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro design was the glued-in battery cells that were found to be extremely difficult and time-consuming to remove without puncturing the cells. In the new 13-inch model, two of the six battery cells are housed in a metal tray that includes no adhesive, while the remaining four cells still required roughly 15 minutes of work to pry loose from the case.

retina_macbook_pro_13_teardown.jpg

The teardown of the 13-inch model otherwise yields few surprises compared to the larger 15-inch model, and the similar challenges of soldered RAM, proprietary screws, integrated display, and glued-in battery have led iFixit to award the 13-inch model a repairability score of 2 out of 10, one point higher than the 15-inch model.

Article Link: 13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro Teardown Reveals Minor Improvements in Accessibility

Last edited:

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
Applecare is the answer to all your problems. Might not like it but better option to save your expensive rMBP.

Nee412

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Sunny England!
This is the cost of fitting so much in such a small machine. The downside to technological evolution. To the average consumer it won't make a difference though.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Wonder why you can almost fit a 2.5" SSD in the stock location. Last minute design change?

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
I will only go retina when there is a retina ACD to go with it. Otherwise, switching between a retina macbook and a non-retina ACD is painful.

also, photoshop.

r2ro

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
Mbp 13 retina VS MacBook Air 13

So now there's no more disc drives... Etc and they're lookin thin'n'fit...

Why exactly would one buy a MacBook Air over a MacBook Pro 13 inch???

Is there a difference anymore? What is the point of the MacBook airs now?

inspirations365

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2008
Not sure why/if people were expecting anything different...It's literally the same thing as the 15" rMBP...

*with less parts, but that shouldn't, by default, make the assembly/disassembly any different.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia

Funny you should say that. At first I wrote '200% more' and then I thought… hang on, it's 200% as repairable, making it 100% more repairable. Now it's up to the marketing guys to work out which one sounds better! ;)

Edit: As soon as I posted the above, I notice you removed your comment about it being 200%. I guess you came to the same realisation? :D

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
This is the cost of fitting so much in such a small machine. The downside to technological evolution. To the average consumer it won't make a difference though.

exactly..

I got no problems with it. My gaming pc that I had in the past was upgraded only once in the 4 years I owned it, and that was just adding another hard drive.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Does iFixit ever take apart computers other than Macs? It seems like their obsessed with Apple.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
Funny you should say that. At first I wrote 200% and then I thought…*hang on, it's 200% as repairable, making it 100% more repairable. Now it's up to the marketing guys to work out which one sounds better! ;)

I edited it because the percentile is in a grey area of syntax & math, so I let it be

:D

gielie

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Amsterdam
I wonder how de EU will react on the fact you cannot remove the battery yourself, according to EU directives this should be the case on all electronics.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Repairability

iFixit 2/10 :rolleyes:

Apple 10/10

I wonder how de EU will react on the fact you cannot remove the battery yourself, according to EU directives this should be the case on all electronics.

Directive is not Law.

A directive is a legislative act of the European Union,[1] which requires member states to achieve a particular result without dictating the means of achieving that result. It can be distinguished from regulations which are self-executing and do not require any implementing measures. Directives normally leave member states with a certain amount of leeway as to the exact rules to be adopted. Directives can be adopted by means of a variety of legislative procedures depending on their subject matter.

Directive European Union

Last edited:

tonytiger13

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008
So now there's no more disc drives... Etc and they're lookin thin'n'fit...

Why exactly would one buy a MacBook Air over a MacBook Pro 13 inch???

Is there a difference anymore? What is the point of the MacBook airs now?

Price. Now the Air is lower end parts (less speed, less ports, no retina). Apple compensates by charging less for it. Also, there is an 11-inch model, which I'm curious of its success. At $999, I'm sure it's successful, but is it enough to keep it around?

KikoPT

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2009
I still find amazing that ...

I still find amazing that you can not customize a 16GB RAM option on this thing ...

Even on the 15" rMBP i don't find any store selling a 16GB option (besides apple online store, of course).

tonytiger13

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008
exactly..

I got no problems with it. My gaming pc that I had in the past was upgraded only once in the 4 years I owned it, and that was just adding another hard drive.

And this is who they're targeting. The 80%-90% of consumers that don't touch a computer after initial purchase. Everybody I know that has upgraded their RAM was only because I suggested it and helped find the right type for them. I myself would love to build another gaming PC from scratch and upgrade it periodically, but my laptops (aka MacBook Pro) I wouldn't touch...maybe :D ...now I'm wondering if I should take out my optical and switch it for a SSD...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.