Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:09 PM   #1
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

2012-2013 NBA Season Thread

With the season starting this week I figured I would get a thread going (I don't think one has been posted already)...

And to start off, what do you guys think about the trade that no one saw coming last night?

Harden traded to Rockets
Moyank24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:43 PM   #2
zioxide
macrumors 603

I don't really follow the league as a whole so I can't really comment on that trade, but...

I'm super pumped for the celtics this year. This team has the potential to be something special. I think this is the deepest and most talented team we've had since 2008. Should be a fun season
zioxide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:21 PM   #3
AndrewBrownNWA
macrumors newbie

I'm a diehard OKC fan and was totally shocked. At first I was super bummed, but the more I read about it, the more it seems like it was *possibly the right move to make. It's tough to break up a title contender, but I think they still are one. Having Kevin Martin come in along with Eric Maynor being back from injury and the development of PJIII makes me confident that this is still a really good team.

Houston gave up a lot to get Harden. I think a lot remains to be seen about how good/bad the trade was for both sides.

Man, I will miss that beard
AndrewBrownNWA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:48 AM   #4
Queen of Spades
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyank24 View Post
With the season starting this week I figured I would get a thread going (I don't think one has been posted already)...

And to start off, what do you guys think about the trade that no one saw coming last night?

Harden traded to Rockets
Couldn't believe that one when I read it. OKC obviously knows something we don't either about Harden's signability long-term or something about his play going forward. I haven't seen Kevin Martin much, but he's supposed to be pretty good. We'll see. Bold move, either way.

And I'm excited about the Celtics this year. We have a deep, talented bench for the first time since 2008. Jeff Green is back and healthy, we got Courtney Lee for a steal, Jason Terry to replace Ray. Rondo is still the best PG in the NBA, and I'm really looking forward to how this new group responds.

Thumb resize.

The Clippers should be fun to watch this season as well. I really wish they hadn't brought in Lamar Odom, but I was glad about the Grant Hill signing. They have a good starting 5, we'll have to see how things unfold.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:54 AM   #5
Poonz
macrumors member

I know they couldn't keep him. He wouldn't sign their last ditch 54 Mil deal that they offered. They got a lot for him, but he was such a big piece of what they did last year. It's gonna hurt them all year when Westbrook got 2-20 and Durant is having one of his quiet 28 point nights that seem like he's done nothing but his points say otherwise. Harden was always there to keep them in it or score 20-25 to win them games.

Losing Harden will probably be the difference of losing to the Lakers this year.

Oh and season starts tomorrow so excited.

Last edited by Poonz; Oct 29, 2012 at 12:06 PM.
Poonz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:55 PM   #6
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Spades View Post
Couldn't believe that one when I read it. OKC obviously knows something we don't either about Harden's signability long-term or something about his play going forward. I haven't seen Kevin Martin much, but he's supposed to be pretty good. We'll see. Bold move, either way.
BOO Celtics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poonz View Post
I know they couldn't keep him. He wouldn't sign their last ditch 54 Mil deal that they offered. They got a lot for him, but he was such a big piece of what they did last year. It's gonna hurt them all year when Westbrook got 2-20 and Durant is having one of his quiet 28 point nights that seem like he's done nothing but his points say otherwise. Harden was always there to keep them in it or score 20-25 to win them games.

Losing Harden will probably be the difference of losing to the Lakers this year.

Oh and season starts tomorrow so excited.
It was definitely a financial thing for Harden. The Rockets were willing to offer him Max $$ and he was given a deadline by OKC to take or leave the extension they were offering him.

Morey has been trying to get a "name" for years and he was never able to pull off the big one. It's why they overpaid for Lin and why they are gambling on a max contract with Harden.

Martin was a decent scorer, but a HORRIBLE defender. He's so bad that he's a liability late in close games and they were benching him in an effort to tighten up at the end of games last season. Harden is 23 and he's proven he can play big time - we'll see how he handles being "The Guy". They gave up a lot to get him - but when you have the option to trade draft picks (AKA who knows what you'll get) for a young, proven player I can see how Morey jumped on it.

It's also worth noting there here in Houston the Astros and Rockets just moved to their own cable network. And with the season starting in 2 days, most cable providers aren't even carrying it. The Texans had a bye this weekend, so Houston is abuzz with Rockets talk today - which is rare during football season. I imagine this is going to be the nudge they needed to get that station to everyone now (because Lord knows nobody cares about the Astros).
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:32 PM   #7
Liquorpuki
macrumors 68020

I think Harden and Lin make a dangerous backcourt. Both are guys that can collapse the paint and dish, both top 10 in points per isolation last year, both young guys that haven't reached their ceiling yet.

They gave up Kevin Martin, who sucks on D, and Lamb, who isn't NBA ready yet. Out of all the draft picks they gave away, the only one that mattered was the Raptors pick which is pretty much a guaranteed 2-14 lottery pick within the next few years.

Houston also got Aldrich in the trade for some depth at the 5 and because of Asik, Lin and Harden their D will be a lot better this year. Everyone thinks Houston is gonna be the last seed in the west, but I think they could be 5-8 playoff seed contenders if McHale can get their chemistry together.

Lakers fans are pretty happy about the OKC trade. Not so much about this stupid Princeton Offense experiment
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:42 PM   #8
AndrewBrownNWA
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquorpuki View Post
Everyone thinks Houston is gonna be the last seed in the west, but I think they could be 5-8 playoff seed contenders if McHale can get their chemistry together.
I just don't see any way the Rockets make the playoffs. Harden is good, but not that good. The West is just so deep.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:37 PM   #9
Vetvito
macrumors 6502

I'm a NBA fan, not just one team. I like Bucks, Celtics, Heat, Clippers, and my home Grizzlies.

I'm really a sports fanatic. No music in the car, just sports radio, even when I'm work sports radio blasting through the PC speakers.

I want to see how long the Knicks can keep this up.

Brown was the wrong guy for the Lakers from the beginning.
Vetvito is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:20 PM   #10
AndrewBrownNWA
macrumors newbie

So who do the Lakers bring in? I think bringing Phil back could be good, but if he installs the Triangle office, it's going to negate some of Nash's effectiveness.

Personally, I'm in favor of Jerry Sloan coming in and getting one last shot at the ring.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:30 PM   #11
leftywamumonkey
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewBrownNWA View Post
So who do the Lakers bring in? I think bringing Phil back could be good, but if he installs the Triangle office, it's going to negate some of Nash's effectiveness.

Personally, I'm in favor of Jerry Sloan coming in and getting one last shot at the ring.
I'm in favor of them hiring Stan the man Van Gundy.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:07 PM   #12
Liquorpuki
macrumors 68020

Quote:
The triangle would be fine. You can have Nash play the weakside and run pick and roll from the pinch post.

I'd rather have Phil Jackson than anyone else. D'Antoni is an offensive genius but he only knows one type of offense that makes the 3 non pnr guys play minor roles. McMillan can't handle egos. Stan Van Gundy is not coming for obvious reasons. Sloan I like too, maybe Shaw, but PJ I think would be the best replacement if they wanna win a ring before Nash and Kobe retire.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:26 AM   #13
The.316
macrumors 65816

I really dont care who the Lakers bring in, because I dont think they are getting past OKC in the West, or the Heat in the East.
The.316 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:55 AM   #14
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:

Why do the Lakers even need a head coach. A team with that much talent should be able to run itself.
MacNut is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:11 AM   #15
Vetvito
macrumors 6502

One could argue that they have washed up talent, and a great center. Just saying...

The coach isn't causing the turn overs on the court. The coach isn't shooting 30%.

Just playing devils advocate.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:17 AM   #16
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetvito View Post
One could argue that they have washed up talent, and a great center. Just saying...

The coach isn't causing the turn overs on the court. The coach isn't shooting 30%.

I don't know what a head coach in the NBA really does. These guys are grown adults who should know the game and how to play as a team. What can a coach do to make a team win.
MacNut is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:00 PM   #17
The.316
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetvito View Post

Great center, still a good SG, close to washed up PG, and no depth. I think its ridiculous that the Lakers are actually talking to PJ, considering the requests he is making. The guy wants to only travel to certain road games? Is that really the type of example you want your head coach showing, regardless of how many rings he has? Oh, Ill go to coach against the Heat, but Ill sit out the Pistons. Ridiculous.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
I don't know what a head coach in the NBA really does. These guys are grown adults who should know the game and how to play as a team. What can a coach do to make a team win.
A coach does a lot of things. He is a leader, a facilitator, creates offensive and defensive plays, and the right ones get the best of their players. Ive played with a lot of current and former NBA players, and I can tell you that they arent the brightest crayon in the box. Without any type of coaching, and the organization that comes along with it, the NBA would be just like your local pick up game, and wouldnt be successful at all.
The.316 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 06:59 AM   #18
mapledress
macrumors regular

Heat win franchise-record 15th straight against Timberwolves 97-81.
Miami Heat, champion.
mapledress is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 01:23 PM   #19
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapledress View Post
Heat win franchise-record 15th straight against Timberwolves 97-81.
Miami Heat, champion.
You don't win championships in March.
zioxide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:32 PM   #20
Vetvito
macrumors 6502

The Lakers bench is sad, Mike Brown wasn't rotating them right at all. The Lakers were up 20 in the fourth against the Pistons, as soon and the bench came in for garbage time the Pistons started chomping the lead away. Kobe and the rest of the starters had to come in and secure the victory, that's sad.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:37 PM   #21
Poonz
macrumors member

Please let Phil Jackson come back in. He can get the most out of everyone. Not sure if Steve Nash can play the triangle or any set offence but, we will see I guess.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:02 PM   #22
Queen of Spades
macrumors 68020

I hope Lakers fans get exactly what they want, it will make watching the Lakers lose even more enjoyable. I mean, you really want a coach that is demanding that he not travel to certain games? Seriously? That is absurd. Greatest coach ever my arse.

Sheesh, act like you're one of the more storied franchises in the game, and not some desperate expansion team.

Not to mention, Los Angeles has a good starting five, but it's not Team USA like people are making it seem. Nash is older now and just imagine him trying to defend Russell Westbrook for a moment. MWP is overrated as all hell in my opinion. Dwight Howard is great, but he's also a giant baby. Kobe's knees are like the odometer on a 80s Volvo, and their bench still blows.

Getting past OKC, Miami, etc. is going to be no easy task. Even the Clippers can run LAL out of the building.

/rant
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:53 PM   #23
Don't panic
macrumors 68040

i went to the knicks- mavs with my kid
great game and lots of fun but if they keep this up this might the only game i go to this season as it is getting impossible to find affordable tickets

at one point it looked like the entire geriatrics department was on the floor
had to be the oldestt line up in the history of the nba
Don't panic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:02 PM   #24
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't panic View Post
i went to the knicks- mavs with my kid
great game and lots of fun but if they keep this up this might the only game i go to this season as it is getting impossible to find affordable tickets

at one point it looked like the entire geriatrics department was on the floor
had to be the oldestt line up in the history of the nba
I joked around after the Rockets traded for Harden that the Knicks could have gotten him, but they didn't want him because he was too young.

Regarding the prices, it's one thing I appreciate about living in Houston. The sports are so much more affordable. I have season tickets to the Texans and I didn't have to murder someone to get them. The Rockets prices are getting worse, but they have decent weekday specials. And the Astros are literally giving tickets away. We also have minor league hockey and a MLS team. My kids will not go without sports.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:28 AM   #25
Queen of Spades
macrumors 68020

Lakers hire Mike D'Antoni, 4 year deal.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion