Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In something of a surprise, Friday's launch of the iPad mini will apparently mark the first time an iOS device carries stereo speakers. It appears that Apple's move to the smaller Lightning dock connector has left enough space for an additional speaker along the bottom edge of the device, although the company has elected not to make a similar addition to the fourth-generation iPad.

There has been speculation about the iPad mini's speaker setup ever since early case designs leaked showing two sets of small holes, one on each side of the Lightning port. Similar setups have been seen on iPhone models with one side housing a speaker and the other side a microphone for phone conversations. iPad models have, however, until now only contained a single off-center speaker grille.

ipad_mini_speaker_specs.jpg
Diagram from Apple's iPad mini tech specs page
Apple did little to clear up the speculation at the iPad mini introduction last week, making no mention of stereo speakers and using the singular "speaker" on its tech specs page addressing the device's input/output capabilities. Amazon seized upon the assumption that the iPad mini did not contain stereo speakers, using it as part of a checklist comparison touting the Kindle Fire HD on its front page.

kindle_hd_ipad_mini_speakers_amazon.jpg
But when the first wave of advance reviews of the iPad mini were released last night, The Verge's Joshua Topolsky mentioned that the device does indeed contain stereo speakers. Topolsky later highlighted the feature in a Tweet, noting that it had been confirmed by Apple.

ipad_mini_stereo_speakers.jpg
Dual speaker grilles on iPad mini (Source: The Verge)
Seeking further confirmation, a 9to5Mac reader emailed Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller to ask about the situation, and Schiller responded to simply state "It is stereo." Notably, Amazon has since removed the comparison checklist between the Kindle Fire HD and the iPad mini from its main page.

Article Link: iPad Mini Confirmed to Carry Stereo Speakers

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
That's false advertising, Amazon!

Maybe you should have to put out an ad on your website saying that you lied.
:D

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Wohoo! This would make for a great stereo listening experience... if nostrils were ears.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
That's false advertising, Amazon!

Maybe you should have to put out an ad on your website saying that you lied.
:D

false advertising and a mistake are two different things. Apple did do false adverting and lied.

Amazon on the other hand made an honest mistake and I can easily see way because of how close together the speakers on not like you can hear any stereo sound out of them.

driceman

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Hahaha fail Amazon...

Now they just need a better display and processor in the Mini and I'll take a look... Not much point in "upgrading" from my iPad 2 for a product with the same resolution and chip.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
How can anyone tell if it's stereo if both speakers are right next to each other?

Seriously, that's about the worst "stereo" speaker layout I've ever seen. So if you're watching a movie (in landscape, obviously) it's "stereo" but all the sounds are still going to come from the right side of the screen, since that's where both speakers are?

I'm still skeptical.

mshahnoora

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2010
Honestly, I think Apple used two speakers to get similar levels of sound output (combined) as using a single, larger speaker. With such a slim design, it's hard to fit a single large, louder speaker, so they used two of them to compensate.

Last edited:

coasterswim

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
How can anyone tell if it's stereo if both speakers are right next to each other?

Seriously, that's about the worst "stereo" speaker layout I've ever seen. So if you're watching a movie (in landscape, obviously) it's "stereo" but all the sounds are still going to come from the right side of the screen, since that's where both speakers are?

I'm still skeptical.

Exactly. Landscape stereo speakers (meaning the other speaker is on "top" of the device) would be so much more beneficial.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
Serious question regarding the checklist, not baiting or trolling..

Cool to see about the stereo speakers, but what about a couple of the other items...

1) Why can Amazon say they offer Movies and TV (with a PAID amazon prime subscription), yet they dismiss PAY movies and TV from the iTunes Store?
EDIT: responses have reminded me that Amazon even offers an Amazon Video app for iOS!

2) Is the iPad Mini (and iPad 2) really a low res display? I swore I watched 720p movies on my iPad 2. While they may have not been 720p exactly, I wouldn't have called it low res.

Is it just selective marketing on Amazons part?

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
So now theres two physical speaker grills in the case, as opposed to one?

The ipad 3 still had stereo didn't it ? Whats the change ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.