Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onemacmini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Hertfordshire
So i dropped a rather large weight on my iPhone tonight... Dented massively and wont work...

I don't have insurance so break the news to me and tell me my options please :)

I'm based in the UK, bought it on debit card and have had it since the launch date.

Thanks for your time!

1AAF8261-9DE8-4C56-B4AA-18F8661B026A-203-000000092547DB53.jpg

E75AD78A-DA28-492B-AFF5-F79263A911A5-11884-00000B5C2CD39792.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Take it to the Apple Store, they'll charge you £229 for a replacement.

FYI:

Certain damage is ineligible for out-of-warranty service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications. However, an iPhone that has failed due to contact with liquid may be eligible for out-of-warranty service.

Apple reserves the right to determine whether or not your iPhone is eligible for Out-of-Warranty service.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
So i dropped a rather large weight on my iPhone tonight... Dented massively and wont work...

I don't have insurance so break the news to me and tell me my options please :)

I'm based in the UK, bought it on debit card and have had it since the launch date.

Thanks for your time!

Pics please and yea swap it out for 229.

They usually will do it unless your iphone has been in "Will it Blend?"

----------

That. Looks. Awful.

Lol you'll be all right just take it in see what they say.

enophi1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2008
UK
Ouch ><

I can't look away. That's awful dude. I would say put it on home insurance accidental coverage or swap it out.

vendris

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
I'm very sorry to say and feel terrible about it, but I laughed at the pictures.. quite loudly. :eek:

Really hope you get off easy without having to shell out the full sum again.

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
Almost been there myself before. My phone fell out of my pocket and I was benching heavy dumbells and I was terrified to put the weights down because I didnt know where the phone was. Luckily I just tossed them as hard as I could when I was done and my phone was safe...Now I wear a super lame runners mini-fannypack, but its better than the alternative I suppose!

onemacmini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Hertfordshire
It will teach me a lesson!!

Was in my pocket but the headphones caught on the dumbells when doing incline chest press... Then fell out... The weight dropped on iPhone... Never good...

It still vibrates but no sound and no screen.... Annoying or what!

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
It will teach me a lesson!!

Was in my pocket but the headphones caught on the dumbells when doing incline chest press... Then fell out... The weight dropped on iPhone... Never good...

It still vibrates but no sound and no screen.... Annoying or what!

Also run the headphones inside your shirt or get wireless headphones backbeat 903+ are decent and have held up well.

onemacmini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Hertfordshire
haha.....

I do feel bad for you OP, can I ask? what in the heck where you doing? throwing weights around?
most people don't work out so vigorously

Phone fell out of my pocket... So when I went to failure and had to drop the weights, one of the 40kg dumbbell fell straight onto it! Hence so bent lol

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
haha.....

I do feel bad for you OP, can I ask? what in the heck where you doing? throwing weights around?
most people don't work out so vigorously

Why would you goto the gym and not workout vigorously? That would be a pointless workout and a complete waste of a trip to the gym.

enophi1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2008
UK
Phone fell out of my pocket... So when I went to failure and had to drop the weights, one of the 40kg dumbbell fell straight onto it! Hence so bent lol

Oh god. Be thankful it dropped on your phone if you know what I mean. Could of been worse. ><

I think home accidental insurance would cover it.

----------

Why would you goto the gym and not workout vigorously? That would be a pointless workout and a complete waste of a trip to the gym.

Yeah you obviously missed my sarcasm there.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Take it in and tell them it came out of the box like that. Tell them you are insulted at the quality. They know the QC has been abysmal and will give you a new phone. :D

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Post it in the "black phone scuff thread" or the "How can I tell if my phone is bent?" thread. Say it was out of the box that way. It would be hilarious.

Seriously sorry about your bad luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.