Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Old Nov 1, 2012, 11:24 AM   #1
JonL12345
macrumors member

Apple is doomed

I fear for the future of Apple. They were an innovative company with compelling design under Steve Jobs. However, we are now at a tipping point.

Steve jobs is no longer with Apple, they have a stale OS, their phones have now been matched in build quality (Nexus 4), the Android app store has caught up in volume of apps, they went backwards with maps and in my opinion, the wheels have started to fall off the Apple steamroller.

They have become a gigantic sloth that moves slower, innovates less and is milking their monopoly they created with clever product release events where everybody says "Amazing" a hundred times or "Incredible" in every other sentence. But people are not stupid. You can only be hoodwinked for so long.

When Apple fanboys start to look at Android, many feel cheated. They realise that Android has a far superior operating system and they have been ring-fenced by fanboy eulogizing, many of whom are just spouting stuff their heard their buddy say without looking for themselves.

We have reached a tipping point for Apple. Their share price already dropped on the announcement of the new Nexus prices. The city traders are not stupid, they can see what is happening. Apple is due a decline over the next 5 years as Google swamp the market with Android, with LG and particularly Samsung making huge gains in market share.

You read it here first.

Jon
JonL12345 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 11:38 AM   #2
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonL12345 View Post
I fear for the future of Apple. They were an innovative company with compelling design under Steve Jobs. However, we are now at a tipping point.

Steve jobs is no longer with Apple, they have a stale OS, their phones have now been matched in build quality (Nexus 4), the Android app store has caught up in volume of apps, they went backwards with maps and in my opinion, the wheels have started to fall off the Apple steamroller.

They have become a gigantic sloth that moves slower, innovates less and is milking their monopoly they created with clever product release events where everybody says "Amazing" a hundred times or "Incredible" in every other sentence. But people are not stupid. You can only be hoodwinked for so long.

When Apple fanboys start to look at Android, many feel cheated. They realise that Android has a far superior operating system and they have been ring-fenced by fanboy eulogizing, many of whom are just spouting stuff their heard their buddy say without looking for themselves.

We have reached a tipping point for Apple. Their share price already dropped on the announcement of the new Nexus prices. The city traders are not stupid, they can see what is happening. Apple is due a decline over the next 5 years as Google swamp the market with Android, with LG and particularly Samsung making huge gains in market share.

You read it here first.

Jon
Stale OS? debatable. I like it progression

Build quality? You're joking right.

Volume of apps maybe. Quality? Not a chance.

Innovates less? "Different' and 'new' is relatively easy. Doing something that's genuinely better is very hard. Jonathan Ive "

Apples Ecosystem is something nobody can touch. As long as their products improve from their previous versions I don't give a horses ass what Android do.

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 11:42 AM   #3
JonL12345
macrumors member

I agree with Jonathan Ive. Just look at Google's new Photo Sphere and its new, different and genuinely better.

I hope Apple gets its act together because I fancy a iMac 27".
JonL12345 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:04 PM   #4
snberk103
macrumors 603

I don't think you can compare Apple today with Apple of 10 years ago. Or if you are, you need to compare similar technology experiences - not similar technologies.

What I mean is this.... And initially I'm just talking traditional computers.

Ten years ago (more or less) computers, and people's experience with them, was a still evolving quickly. Now, computer technology has matured, or at least is quickly approaching that point. A decade ago it was easy to be seen as a technology leader in the computer field because Apple was often at the forefront of mass adoption of technologies that made the computer experience better. Apple also recognized that not every new technology actually made the experience better, and did a good job of generally backing those that were genuinely making our lives better.

Now, however, it's hard to imagine much more that can be done to make computer hardware better in a way to makes our lives easier. There are, of course, new technologies out there... but for the most part they don't really make things better - imho. There are some exceptions of course, and interestingly - Apple is working in those fields. Mobile systems are one key area, and note that Apple is leading the field (for the most part) in making smaller full functioning laptops. And also note that they are again leading the field in battery technologies that allow those systems to go longer and longer between charges.

But, for the most part, the hardware for computers is pretty mature. The software is far from mature... people are spending far too much time dealing with the OS. In a perfect world the OS should be transparent, and you spend all your time just being creative. I believe Apple is working towards that goal, and I will note that they have started going to an annual upgrade cycle for OS X. I think we will see many new technologies being introduced incrementally year after year until our OSes have matured to the same degree as the hardware.

Of course Apple is the leading company in pushing tablet technologies. I have no experience with smart phones, and this post is already too long...so I'll leave it here, for now.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:14 PM   #5
JonL12345
macrumors member

@snberk103, I have to disagree with you on the hardware side. Yes, I understand where you are coming from, but for me a more accurate way of looking at things is that computers are more of a commodity, as opposed to hardware changes having matured.

Why do I take that stance? Graphine! It will revolutionise a lot of stuff. Its ultra light, super conductive and 200 times stronger than steel. It will help us built razor thin, almost weightless smartphones, tablets and so forth that run super fast due to their amazing properties. Watch this space!

@niuniu, more Android smartphones are sold than Apple smartphones, so I see an increase towards coding for the larger Android market.

Last edited by JonL12345; Nov 1, 2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:43 PM   #6
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
@snberk103, I have to disagree with you on the hardware side. Yes, I understand where you are coming from, but for me a more accurate way of looking at things is that computers are more of a commodity, as opposed to hardware changes having matured.
Actually - I think you agree with me. To my mind the sign that computer hardware has matured (or is close to it) is that they have become commodities. Immature technologies don't become commodities, imo.
Quote:
Why do I take that stance? Graphine! It will revolutionise a lot of stuff. Its ultra light, super conductive and 200 times stronger than steel. It will help us built razor thin, almost weightless smartphones, tablets and so forth that run super fast due to their amazing properties. Watch this space!
But how does that make things "better" for the everyday user? In a revolutionary sense, that is. Will making an iPhone only one quarter as thick really change how people use their phones? Not really. At this point the really big changes to the iPhone, imo, are going to be the ways it connects - and how much it does autonomously. It can't really get much smaller, simply because it become unusable.

Tablets are just getting started... no one really knows what is going to happen in this space... though I'm sure we'll hear back from the lucky guessers in a few years time.

My prediction is that phones will get simpler as tablets get more mature. Right now, imho, connecting with someone by phone is still too much work. Before I even pickup the phone, I have to decide whether to email, text, FB message, etc, leave a voice message, or call them. I need to make a decision before I even try to contact them about where they are and how best to connect. I don't believe having more options is better. I think what we'll see is a lot of the phone's functionality pushed to the tablets, and a phone will allow you to call, text, take pictures, and Siri will take care of getting you to where you want to be. But that's just my guess.

----------

Quote:
@djshack, I believe that OS X will always be a minority operating system due to the high price of Apple products. Its market share will stay small.
I agree with you ... and I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. Market share is not the same as success. And I will also note that you haven't actually said it is... so this is more to add to the general discussion.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 04:11 PM   #7
sentinelsx
macrumors 68010

Quote:

@niuniu, more Android smartphones are sold than Apple smartphones, so I see an increase towards coding for the larger Android market.
Isn't this what schmidt said and then had to eat his words? (well he never cares to acknowledge his stupidity)

I doubt aspiring windows 8 developers will care about android anymore. I find developing in visual studio to be magnitudes better than *cringe* eclipse and its horrible android emulator.
sentinelsx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 11:41 AM   #8
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
You read it here first.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but you are hardly the first to predict Apple's downfall. And like all of the others, you are sadly mistaken.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 11:41 AM   #9
Ledgem
macrumors 65816

Quote:
A far superior operating system? I'll admit that I have not used Android outside of floor models of phones and tablets, and it seems to get the job done for most people, but I have not seen anything that screams "superior" (let alone "far superior") over iOS. They're both good, as far as I'm concerned. What advantages does Android offer over iOS?

Here's how I see it. Apple has now established something that many people rely on, and they have set systems in place. Their hands are tied compared with back when everything was new and fresh. This is normal for companies: new developments will seem like refinements instead of revolutions. It makes little sense for a company to uproot everything and make major changes. It costs a lot and displaces customers.

Many of the people who hold Android up over iOS do so because Android is more customizable. I respect that. However, speaking for my own usage, I don't care. There was a time in my life when I used to love devoting free evenings and weekends to tinkering with my electronics, changing their appearance, and hacking various functionality. As of now, I don't have the time or desire for it. So what if your phone looks the same as my phone? It's a device to get work done, not a fashion accessory.

I take a similar approach to the people who complain that iOS' appearance is getting "stale" and that it "needs a new look." I welcome user interface changes that increase productivity, but to make a major change simply for the sake of having new visuals seems pretty silly.

I understand that not everyone is focused on their devices for productivity. Some buy them as fashion accessories, and others expect to have them for both fashion and productivity. I respect those differences, but I'm giving my opinion anyway.
Ledgem is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 07:16 PM   #10
smellysox8
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
A far superior operating system? I'll admit that I have not used Android outside of floor models of phones and tablets, and it seems to get the job done for most people, but I have not seen anything that screams "superior" (let alone "far superior") over iOS. They're both good, as far as I'm concerned. What advantages does Android offer over iOS?
You condemn something you barely even used.
smellysox8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:30 PM   #11
Ledgem
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellysox8 View Post
You condemn something you barely even used.
I said that I don't see anything that makes it "superior" or "far superior" and further claim that, as far as I'm concerned, both systems are good. How is that condemnation in any sense of the word?
Ledgem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 11:45 AM   #12
dejo

Quote:
Their share price already dropped on the announcement of the new Nexus prices.
You certain that was the reason? I guess you can explain why AAPL is up nearly $4 today then, too.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 11:48 AM   #13
jsw
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejo View Post
You certain that was the reason? I guess you can explain why AAPL is up nearly $4 today then, too.
Google didn't announce new Nexus prices today. Duh.

If Google would just announce new Nexus prices every day, Apple stock would be worthless in a few years. I can't fathom why they don't just do that.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:04 AM   #14
oldmanwalking
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejo View Post
I would question JonL's reasoning, too. But a $4 rebuttal to a $100 statement has problems on the face of it.

In this morning's trading, Apple's stock price is down about $115 from its historic high. An approximately 16% drop is significant. If the cause of the drop isn't the pricing of a competitor's product, what is it?

I'm not qualified to give investment advice, but with that caveat, I have noticed that the best time to buy a company's stock is when no one likes the company. Conversely the best time to sell is when the company is hugely popular - and profitable. So very few people follow the logic of those observations. Anyway, stocks tend to trade on expectations, rather than on history. Hence the consternation when a company reports record earnings and lower-than-expected projections.

Apple has been riding high. But what next? The predictable products are out there. Pundits wrote about tablets and an Apple model years before Apple introduced the iPad. The iPhone was a long time dream of many and the natural evolution from the PDA. Yes. Apple defined the battlefields with those products, but what's next? But the problem for the future often resides in the success of the past: selling lots of iPhones and iPads tends to make Apple a commodity company with accompanying pressure on margins. Sony and its current problems is a good example of that.

Apple is not doomed, of course. The company's megaload of cash is one of the proofs against that. But its current position reminds me of Sony and Hewlett Packard. The recent scramble at the top is another example. Whereas Jobs was able to provide a personality-driven playing ground for massive, and massively creative, egos, Mr. Cook cannot. (Of course you saw a Jobs/Cook comoparison coming.) Mr. Cook is an excellent CEO for transforming a creative, market creating company into a more mature, less exciting one.

Of course I could be wrong about all this and Apple's stock price miight go above $1000 within a year.
oldmanwalking is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:32 AM   #15
Scrub175
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwalking View Post
I would question JonL's reasoning, too. But a $4 rebuttal to a $100 statement has problems on the face of it.

In this morning's trading, Apple's stock price is down about $115 from its historic high. An approximately 16% drop is significant. If the cause of the drop isn't the pricing of a competitor's product, what is it?

I'm not qualified to give investment advice, but with that caveat, I have noticed that the best time to buy a company's stock is when no one likes the company. Conversely the best time to sell is when the company is hugely popular - and profitable. So very few people follow the logic of those observations. Anyway, stocks tend to trade on expectations, rather than on history. Hence the consternation when a company reports record earnings and lower-than-expected projections.

Apple has been riding high. But what next? The predictable products are out there. Pundits wrote about tablets and an Apple model years before Apple introduced the iPad. The iPhone was a long time dream of many and the natural evolution from the PDA. Yes. Apple defined the battlefields with those products, but what's next? But the problem for the future often resides in the success of the past: selling lots of iPhones and iPads tends to make Apple a commodity company with accompanying pressure on margins. Sony and its current problems is a good example of that.

Apple is not doomed, of course. The company's megaload of cash is one of the proofs against that. But its current position reminds me of Sony and Hewlett Packard. The recent scramble at the top is another example. Whereas Jobs was able to provide a personality-driven playing ground for massive, and massively creative, egos, Mr. Cook cannot. (Of course you saw a Jobs/Cook comoparison coming.) Mr. Cook is an excellent CEO for transforming a creative, market creating company into a more mature, less exciting one.

Of course I could be wrong about all this and Apple's stock price miight go above $1000 within a year.
Well said. There is an evolution going on within Apple. No longer is it run and products overseen by one person. I don't really see an evolutionist there that will be able to foresee and create the next big tech craze. Now it seems profitable to refine what is in the market, but not really stretch the market or captivate with what could be possible in the future. What google is doing with the nexus, Apple has been doing. Create products that drive consumer needs and fit into the puzzle of Apple's ecosystem. Perhaps one area of growth would be the vehicle integration market.

How long will that position be marketable remains to be seen. One thing is for sure, Android devices are definitely driving the smartphone market. The problem with that model is each device maker releases at least two flagship devices a year. Yes they are all android, but lack the continuity of one large ecosystem. To say you can make one android device work with another is not a reality. This is what Apple will have to sell as a feature that others struggle to realize and make a reality.

Samsung is really working on their custom UI to incorporate this cross device integration. Until Google adopts that mindset as a standard their market will be shot gun as seen in the pie chart for OS integration. Almost 54% of android powered phones are two major revisions behind in OS. So yes Android is cutting edge with cool features but you have to buy a device every year to keep pace. Even the S3 is almost 2 revs behind and that was the flagship device. (KLP was supposed to be announced but was pulled back)

I as many others prefer an integrated solution vice the piece meal make it work with hacks or apps mentality. Although it was fun to hack and flash roms, Apples total device inclusion within the ecosystem is what is helping drive Apple.
Scrub175 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 11:46 AM   #16
Gaelic2
macrumors 6502

Congratulations Newbie, you got your 5 minutes of fame on this troll.
Gaelic2 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:08 PM   #17
niuniu
Banned

Ease of use of iOS devices and the beauty of the hardware will sell people into Mac OS at a rate that wasn't previously possible before Apple had mobile devices.

If anything, I think Apple's best days are yet to come with their emergence as a dominant force in computing.

Once those numbers go up, developers, including the massive gaming market will all be coding their new wares for Mac which will again give Apple a large push and new marketing tact.
niuniu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:13 PM   #18
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by niuniu View Post
Ease of use of iOS devices and the beauty of the hardware will sell people into Mac OS at a rate that wasn't previously possible before Apple had mobile devices.

If anything, I think Apple's best days are yet to come with their emergence as a dominant force in computing.

Once those numbers go up, developers, including the massive gaming market will all be coding their new wares for Mac which will again give Apple a large push and new marketing tact.
And when they put an app store on Apple TV etc.

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:16 PM   #19
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Android won't be able to keep up based on the simple fact that we're talking platforms here and that means delivering a great ecosystem.

Apple has the undeniable lead now approaching 400 stores. Microsoft, a software company, has realized the power of retail and now is building stores.

Who's going replicate this outside of Apple or Microsoft on a wide scale? There's not going to be 300 Samsung or Google stores.

Jon

You speak of innovation.
You state that Android is far superior

You're a newb. No one knows you since many of use post more in a day than your sum total here. Are we really supposed to take your unsubstantiated opinion to heart?

Don't baby us! We can handle your amazing intellect and technical insight. Indulge us with your persuasive argument on where Apple's innovation and operating system is failing. We're all ears
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:23 PM   #20
djshack
macrumors regular

All you need to do to remind yourself that Apple will survive is use Windows 8. Windows 8 will be Microsoft's biggest flop since Vista (or maybe ever), thus once again leading to computer users switching to OS X, which while more like iOS, is still a true desktop OS with one interface.
djshack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 09:56 PM   #21
Apple OC
macrumors 68040

Apple was supposed to be doomed when the only people using Macs were the Graphic Arts and Printing Industry ... that was before the iPod.

Apple now sets the standard ... everybody else is just trying to compete.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 07:19 AM   #22
JonL12345
macrumors member

Whatever you think of Walmarts business practices, it does not escape from the fact that some companies make more profit by selling cheap in larger volume. That is what we are talking about here.

The smartphone sector was dominated by Apple. Now, Android has 75% market share with Apple around 15%, as I understand it. If that is not destroying the competition then I don't know what is!

Androids success is inextricably linked to Apples success. If one grows market share, the other loses market share.

Yes, people want value. I agree with you. But here's the rub. Apple are pricing high with an increasingly inferior product. This applies particularly to the new Nexus 4 and 10 lineup. With Apple, you get less for more. Apple is cool, but it won't be long before paying through the nose for less will be viewed as decidedly uncool.

@Apple OC, lets not forget, without Steve Jobs at the helm, Apple nearly went bankrupt back in 1999. They escaped by the skin of their teeth. Steve Jobs was an exceptional entrepreneur and did one of the most miraculous turnarounds in business history.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 08:47 AM   #23
Scrub175
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Whatever you think of Walmarts business practices, it does not escape from the fact that some companies make more profit by selling cheap in larger volume. That is what we are talking about here.

The smartphone sector was dominated by Apple. Now, Android has 75% market share with Apple around 15%, as I understand it. If that is not destroying the competition then I don't know what is!

Androids success is inextricably linked to Apples success. If one grows market share, the other loses market share.

Yes, people want value. I agree with you. But here's the rub. Apple are pricing high with an increasingly inferior product. This applies particularly to the new Nexus 4 and 10 lineup. With Apple, you get less for more. Apple is cool, but it won't be long before paying through the nose for less will be viewed as decidedly uncool.

@Apple OC, lets not forget, without Steve Jobs at the helm, Apple nearly went bankrupt back in 1999. They escaped by the skin of their teeth. Steve Jobs was an exceptional entrepreneur and did one of the most miraculous turnarounds in business history.
Could you state some ways the iP5 is inferior to let's say the new nexus 4 for example... Apple is still recognized at the forefront of releasing premium products. They may lack in features that other brands boast about, but premium fit and finish is still a hallmark of Apple.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
This is probably get this thread pushed into PRSI, sorry... but Walmart is not the best example to use. Walmart keeps their profit margins through shady labour practices including using undocumented immigrants (they've been found guilty in court of several labour infractions), and by killing off all local competition. Walmart's also entered an existing retail sector, and succeeded by eliminating masses of competition. Android entered a new sector, and has not actually managed to eliminate much competition. I will also point out that there are still lots of large retail outlets that compete in the higher-end market, make lots of money, and are expanding their marketshare. Just like Apple.

Remember.. this is not a discussion of who (Apple or Android) is doing better - your thesis is that Apple is "doomed." To make your point you can't just show that Android is doing well, you have to show evidence that Apple is on a downward spiral from which it is unlikely to recover.

Fierce competition tends to hurt lower priced products... People who are willing to pay for a higher priced item don't tend to move to a lower priced product just because it's lower priced. The lower priced product has to offer at least as much value, if not more so. Higher specs aren't what makes a product a better value. What creates value is a product to offer solutions to the problems the consumer has.
Walmart also uses their buying power to drive down purchase prices from manufacturers as well. That helps in the bottom line a great deal.

----------

Quote:
@dmelgar, you are mistaken. Its made with gorilla glass 2, like I believe the iphone 4S? Also, an unlocked iPhone does not have LTE either. Hmmmm.

Have you not looked at the specs of the Nexus 4, not to mention a much better battery life?

Also, note that Android has much higher market share than iOS and is growing much faster. Check this out: http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...ch-75.0-Market

In the last quarter, even though the iPhone 5 was launched with its fastest ever sales volume, they were still dwarfed by Android. Android shipped 6 times the number of iPhones in the last quarter, have 4 times the market share and grew their market share much more than iPhone did. That is one of the reasons why I think Apple is doomed. The Android competitors are pricing for market share, while Apple is pricing high for profit. They are sacrificing market share for short term profits. Getting greedy can kill your business.
Yes market share is nice but then look at the breakdown of what devices run what version. It's plain to see that very few folks are using the latest and greatest cutting edge versions of Android (ICS, JB, and soon KLP). Most Android users get a budget device and stick with that rather than chase cutting edge device specs of OS versions. So Android's market share is large but mostly comprised of older devices on semi outdated software.
Scrub175 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:23 AM   #24
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Quote:

So now you're an MBA to match your internet CTO skills huh. I don't know why you keep prattling on about stuff you clearly don't have a clue about. You're way beyond your depth here.
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:54 PM   #25
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
This is business, the only number that matters is profit. Apple is dominating the profit share of the smartphone industry.
NT1440 is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion