Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:47 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iPad Mini Ships with Same 5-Watt Power Adapter Bundled with iPhones

Since the announcement of the iPad mini last week, there has been some discussion about whether Apple would include the smaller 5-watt power adapter typically bundled with iPhone models or the larger 12-watt adapter intended for the latest full-size iPad models.

One report from just after Apple's media event indicated that Apple would be shipping the larger 12-watt adapter with the iPad mini, but iPhoneinCanada.ca noticed soon after that the Apple Store iOS app was showing a photo of the smaller 5-watt adapter as part of the iPad mini package contents.

One MacRumors reader was able to purchase an iPad mini from his local Walmart yesterday and confirmed that it does indeed ship with the smaller 5-watt adapter.

Portion of 5-watt power adapter visible in lower right corner
The 12-watt charger (or its 10-watt predecessor) could charge the iPad mini more quickly than the 5-watt adapter, provided that the iPad mini itself would allow more than 5 watts to be drawn from the charger. Any of the adapters can be used with any iOS device, but both the adapter and the devices themselves specify how much power can be drawn. For example, an iPhone will only draw 5 watts regardless of which adapter it is plugged into, while an iPad will draw the full wattage on any of the adapters, with the lower-wattage adapters obviously charging the device more slowly than higher-wattage ones.

With the iPad mini's battery having three times the capacity of the iPhone 5's battery, charging the iPad mini through the included 5-watt power adapter would take considerably longer than charging an iPhone. If, however, the iPad mini is capable of drawing higher wattage, users may prefer to charge the device through a larger 10-watt or 12-watt adapter intended for the full-size iPad.

Article Link: iPad Mini Ships with Same 5-Watt Power Adapter Bundled with iPhones
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:51 PM   #2
psxp
macrumors regular

anyone got actual times of charging?
psxp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:51 PM   #3
Astroexe
macrumors member

If the iPhone takes about an hour to charge.. this iPad would take, what, three? Is there any difference in size or is this simply to keep the price down?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:15 AM   #4
everything-i
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroexe View Post
If the iPhone takes about an hour to charge.. this iPad would take, what, three? Is there any difference in size or is this simply to keep the price down?
For Apple I doubt there is much difference in cost between the two chargers.
everything-i is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:33 PM   #5
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a

Well, it definitely draws more then 1 amp with iPad charger
Fruit Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:49 PM   #6
knemonic
macrumors 6502

I put my mini on the 10w charger for the first full charge, coming back from a complete dead (mini powered off) and it took 3 hours to charge it to 100%.

Next complete power drain, I will try charging with the 5w, which I suspect is going to take much longer.

The feeling I am getting is the mini will draw more if on the 10/12w. Anyone try the 12w yet? What was your time?
knemonic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:54 AM   #7
Krio
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knemonic View Post
I put my mini on the 10w charger for the first full charge, coming back from a complete dead (mini powered off) and it took 3 hours to charge it to 100%.

Next complete power drain, I will try charging with the 5w, which I suspect is going to take much longer.

The feeling I am getting is the mini will draw more if on the 10/12w. Anyone try the 12w yet? What was your time?
Any other results from yourself or others?
Krio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:49 AM   #8
knemonic
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krio View Post
Any other results from yourself or others?
I haven't heard anything but once my mini is completely dead, I am going to charge it on the 5w. Not sure when that will be though.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:55 AM   #9
XboxMySocks
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Holy what? Dude, it will only draw 5w regardless of what you plug it into... directly plug it into the wall if you like, won't charge it any faster
XboxMySocks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:59 AM   #10
Earendil
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by XboxMySocks View Post
Holy what? Dude, it will only draw 5w regardless of what you plug it into... directly plug it into the wall if you like, won't charge it any faster
That depends on what hardware Apple was able to squeeze into the Mini. If it uses battery tech similar to the full iPad, it can pull 10w just like it's bigger brother. If Apple was only able to squeeze in iPhone battery tech due to whatever constraints they were working with, then you're right, it will only ever pull 5w regardless of the charger used.

I'm betting the second scenario is the likely one. The thing is stupidly thin, and I'm betting it's closer to an iPhone then an iPad in terms of engineering constraints.

"ooo! They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer J. Simpson

Last edited by Earendil; Nov 5, 2012 at 12:00 PM. Reason: typos
Earendil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:13 PM   #11
knemonic
macrumors 6502

I can definetly confirm the iPad Mini is drawing more than 5 watts from the 10 watt charger.

I am about to finish a charge on the 10w. In 2 hours and 18 min it has charged it to 96%.

The first charge I ever performed on this device was with a 10w and it did it in 3 hours.

I also charged it on a 5w which took close to 5 hours.

I would have to conclude that the 10w charger is definetly providing it more juice and it is drawing it.

I am almost inclined to get the 12w charger and see if it is even faster.

Can anyone confirm the 12w charges faster the about 2.5 hours?

BTW, I was not using the Mini all three times I charged it, and it was charged from a completely dead, turned off battery to 100% (except this last time).
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:53 PM   #12
kcamfork
macrumors regular

Quote:
I can definetly confirm the iPad Mini is drawing more than 5 watts from the 10 watt charger.

I am about to finish a charge on the 10w. In 2 hours and 18 min it has charged it to 96%.

The first charge I ever performed on this device was with a 10w and it did it in 3 hours.

I also charged it on a 5w which took close to 5 hours.

I would have to conclude that the 10w charger is definetly providing it more juice and it is drawing it.

I am almost inclined to get the 12w charger and see if it is even faster.

Can anyone confirm the 12w charges faster the about 2.5 hours?

BTW, I was not using the Mini all three times I charged it, and it was charged from a completely dead, turned off battery to 100% (except this last time).
Any news on this?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:25 AM   #13
vtn
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Have you used a power meter on the adaptor to see exactly how much wattage is being drawn at all? Cheers
vtn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:51 PM   #14
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

If it doesn't take 6 hours or a stupidly long time to charge, then I don't have a single problem.
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:51 PM   #15
PAC88
macrumors 6502

cool
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:51 PM   #16
jabingla2810
macrumors 65816

I always charge over night anyway
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:52 PM   #17
ForzaJuve
macrumors member

Deal Braker

That's it. That's the deal braker for me. I was going to buy 2, now I won't.

Sent from my Apple TV Mini
ForzaJuve is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:54 PM   #18
darkslide29
macrumors 6502a

Gee, if the iPad mini is indeed capable of charging at 10-12W but they only included a 5W anyway... way to nickel and dime every bit of that $329..
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:57 PM   #19
knemonic
macrumors 6502

The only way to know this is to confirm the charging times between the 5 and 10/12.

Hopefully tomorrow, someone with a iPad 3/4 charger tries charging their mini.

I hope it does, cause this would mean charging at 12w would be 140% faster.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:58 PM   #20
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Cost cutting....
nick_elt is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 01:06 PM   #21
sovereign
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_elt View Post
Cost cutting....
The obsolete ipad 3rd Gen 10 watt charger would probably be ideal for the mini.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 04:29 PM   #22
Krazy Bill
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_elt View Post
Cost cutting....
More like Apple shooting themselves in the foot.

All these things will add up.
Krazy Bill is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 01:56 PM   #23
aplnub
macrumors member

Quote:
The only way to know this is to confirm the charging times between the 5 and 10/12.

Hopefully tomorrow, someone with a iPad 3/4 charger tries charging their mini.

I hope it does, cause this would mean charging at 12w would be 140% faster.
When mine comes in I will just put a splitter and meter on it. We can see exactly how much it is pulling.
aplnub is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:24 PM   #24
knemonic
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post
When mine comes in I will just put a splitter and meter on it. We can see exactly how much it is pulling.
Nice, keep us posted, I might actually be inclined to get the 12 watt if it is actually charging it at that rate.

The mini would charge faster than the iphone, which would be great (I know I am going to end up using the crap out the mini, since it will be so easy to take everywhere).
Old Nov 4, 2012, 07:05 AM   #25
knemonic
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post
Hi, any chance you were able to put a meter on your 10/12w? I borrowed a friends 10w, which seemed to charge faster, but I was hoping to get a definite yes/no from you. Thanks!

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion