Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tammyhacker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Hi, I'm new here so please excuse any unofficial rules of thumb I break. Basically I have been a Mac user since December 2011. I have the entry level 2.5Ghz 21.5" iMac. I love my mac, and I am pretty much glued to it, but was absolutely heart broke last night when I saw something I have been dreading since the day I first switched her on. The apple website showing a new iMac model was soon to be coming. I was in tears quite frankly, the novelty of having a beautiful sleek companion with me on my desk is gone, now I just have a fat old lady compared to the new one. So I am considering selling her, to contribute towards buying the entry level new version. I was just wondering does anyone have any advice as to whether I should/should not do this ? Is there any benefits from it ? Any long term benefits ?
Any input would be much appreciated guys
Thanks

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Hi, I'm new here so please excuse any unofficial rules of thumb I break. Basically I have been a Mac user since December 2011. I have the entry level 2.5Ghz 21.5" iMac. I love my mac, and I am pretty much glued to it, but was absolutely heart broke last night when I saw something I have been dreading since the day I first switched her on. The apple website showing a new iMac model was soon to be coming. I was in tears quite frankly, the novelty of having a beautiful sleek companion with me on my desk is gone, now I just have a fat old lady compared to the new one. So I am considering selling her, to contribute towards buying the entry level new version. I was just wondering does anyone have any advice as to whether I should/should not do this ? Is there any benefits from it ? Any long term benefits ?
Any input would be much appreciated guys
Thanks

A bit dramatic don't you think? ;)

It comes with the territory, technology is 'outdated' within 6 months to a year. I don't hint buying a new iMac (or w/e) is very wise everytime a new one comes out. There's nothing wrong with your current one. Just keep using it for least another two or three years. Maybe even longer.

tammyhacker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
A bit dramatic don't you think? ;)

It comes with the territory, technology is 'outdated' within 6 months to a year. I don't hint buying a new iMac (or w/e) is very wise everytime a new one comes out. There's nothing wrong with your current one. Just keep using it for least another two or three years. Maybe even longer.

Hmmm, good point. But is there no other advantages, like ones that will make it last longer ? For instance is the hardware more likely to have a longer lifetime than my current one ? In particular the hard drive ? And is it more likely to keep up with the "New generation" of apple computers. My Idea when i bought this one was to keep her until she died (Personification intended). Now I just think its worth me buying this new one and keeping that until it goes. Or am I just being ridiculous ?
Thanks Again

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Just like you, I entertained the idea of upgrading my current iMac for the new one but after some careful consideration, I come to accept that it would be big a waste of money for me. I realize Macs have good resell value but I would still need to fork out a few hundred bucks to get the new one and that's money I rather put towards something else at this time.

First of all, the only reason I would want to upgrade is because of the new, slimmer design. It's a very attractive machine, yes, but if you think about it, it's just a machine that sits on a desk, in your home, and most of the time the only person who sees it is you. It's not like an iPhone or iPad, where we take those in public and enjoy showing off our new toys. Also, when I use my iMac, I'm sitting in front of it, so it's not like I would be staring at its new thinner profile. The new iMac and the one I have now are identical from the front.

Second, I don't even use my iMac all that much! Most of what I do consists of Facebook, Twitter, surfing the web, emails, and the occasional YouTube video, all of which is nicely handled my iPad. The only times I find myself using my iMac these days is when I download music or need to sync stuff to my iDevices.

Plus I just bought this iMac in January of this year, so I know I can get at least three to five years of good use from it. By then, Sir Jony Ive will have created an even sexier machine, I'm sure. Besides, the 2009-2011 iMac is still BY FAR the most beautiful and sleek all-in-one desktop in the market (not counting the its successor).

Last edited:

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Hmmm, good point. But is there no other advantages, like ones that will make it last longer ? For instance is the hardware more likely to have a longer lifetime than my current one ? In particular the hard drive ? And is it more likely to keep up with the "New generation" of apple computers. My Idea when i bought this one was to keep her until she died (Personification intended). Now I just think its worth me buying this new one and keeping that until it goes. Or am I just being ridiculous ?
Thanks Again

With the iMac you're more limited to expansion. I think Apple now solders the RAM to the board. But I think with yours it's ok, so you could upgrade the RAM if it's not maxed out already. Upgrading the HD is something to, if you can do that on the iMacs now. That's about the only things you could do, if that, with an iMac upgrade it.

That's what sorta worries about Apple now; that they're locking down their systems so much that you can't do any upgrades to them. That's what we see now the iMac, the RAM is not user upgradable.

In all honestly, get your money's worth out of your current system, unless you can get good money for it. But it's a hassle to do that every year or two. No need to update every time they update it...unless your rich. :)

tammyhacker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
With the iMac you're more limited to expansion. I think Apple now solders the RAM to the board. But I think with yours it's ok, so you could upgrade the RAM if it's not maxed out already. Upgrading the HD is something to, if you can do that on the iMacs now. That's about the only things you could do, if that, with an iMac upgrade it.

That's what sorta worries about Apple now; that they're locking down their systems so much that you can't do any upgrades to them. That's what we see now the iMac, the RAM is not user upgradable.

In all honestly, get your money's worth out of your current system, unless you can get good money for it. But it's a hassle to do that every year or two. No need to update every time they update it...unless your rich. :)

Thanks, Very good answer. I was just thinking I should upgrade to save a bit of money. I mean, I am still looking at around £750 for her, and then with my 15% discount at apple I can cut the amount I have to pay to around £200. I was thinking it was worth me selling her whilst she still has some value and then keeping onto the new model. Its just that I feel like I have been **** on buy not waiting patiently and then rushing into buying my current machine. Shows good things come to those who wait I suppose.
Ok, I will take all in to consideration
Thanks a lot

----------

Just like you, I entertained the idea of upgrading my current iMac for the new one but after some careful consideration, I come to accept that it would be big a waste of money for me. I realize Macs have good resell value but I would still need to fork out a few hundred bucks to get the new one and that's money I rather put towards something else at this time.

First of all, the only reason I would want to upgrade is because of the new, slimmer design. It's a very attractive machine, yes, but if you think about it, it's just a machine that sits on a desk, in your home, and most of the time the only person who sees it is you. It's not like an iPhone or iPad, where we take those in public and enjoy showing off our new toys. Also, when I use my iMac, I'm sitting in front of it, so it's not like I would be staring at its new thinner profile. The new iMac and the one I have now are identical from the front.

Second, I don't even use my iMac all that much! Most of what I do consists of Facebook, Twitter, surfing the web, emails, and the occasional YouTube video, all of which is nicely handled my iPad. The only times I find myself using my iMac these days is when I download music or need to sync stuff to my iDevices.

Plus I just bought this iMac in January of this year, so I know I can get at least three to five years of good use from it. By then, Sir Jony Ive will have created an even sexier machine, I'm sure. Besides, the 2009-2011 iMac is still BY FAR the most beautiful and sleek all-in-one desktop in the market (not counting the its successor).

Thanks. But one thing, how can you call your mac just a machine ? Surely its more to you than just a metal box with a plug ? Mine is my friend, she never argues with me, she does everything she can for me, my engagements with human friends are all arranged by her. Quite frankly I love my Mac more than I love my own girlfriend, but then again. I never argue with my mac, I never have a dull moment, and the tricky speed bumps I face as a newish mac user are a joyful challenge. I see my Mac as a person, As my diary, as my communication point, as my hero at times and to me its not a toy. Its my child. Strange I know but I just respect my possessions as if they are people. Not my T.V or any other home things, but my phone and my car spring to mind.

wvuwhat

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
I have 24" iMac 2.66 Intel Core Duo from a couple years back. I've been struggling in my mind selling it for a 13" MacBook Air. But, I admit, I'm thinking about buying an new iMac and iPad/iPad Mini instead of the Air.

Decisions Decisions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.