Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peter Griffin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
How do I check whether or not my fan works. I have used the ministat widget to monitor my CPU temperature for the past few days and its been around 55-59 C. I'm getting a bit worried since I've never heard the fan go off. At what temperature can I expect it to turn on? How can I check whether or not my fan works?

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
Th fan in my ibook usually doesnt turn on until it reaches around 65c. The fan wont need to be on because the cpu is not hot enough.

Peter Griffin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
But is there some sort of way to check if the fan works? I find the heat sometimes unbearable and not havign the fan turn on only makes things worse.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Peter Griffin said:
I find the heat sometimes unbearable and not havign the fan turn on only makes things worse.

Well, for the laptops, the fan will kick in when needed. This will not make your lap cooler, it will make the CPU cooler. If anything, when the fan kicks in, your lap will get warmer because the heat will be pumped onto it.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
Peter Griffin said:
But is there some sort of way to check if the fan works? I find the heat sometimes unbearable and not havign the fan turn on only makes things worse.

Boot with the install disc while holding C and run the Apple Hardware test in extended mode. You sohuld her a jet engine taking off and that will be your fan testing itself out. My iBook got up to 72C and I didn't even hear the fans. don;t worry about it. If your iBook becomes too hot, it will go to sleep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.