Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:00 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Emoji Apps No Longer Welcome in App Store Following Native iOS 6 Support

Apple's iOS devices have long carried at least partial support for emoji, picture characters popular for text messaging in Japan but also gaining interest in countries around the world. Initially the feature was unlocked only for Japanese customers, but over time the company has broadened access to emoji and now supports several hundred emoji characters for all users once they enable the special emoji keyboard.

With iOS 6 bringing expanded emoji support, it appears that Apple is beginning to address the significant number of emoji apps in the App Store, sending out notices to developers informing them that their apps have been removed from the store because they are no longer useful given the built-in emoji support now available. MacRumors has heard from several developers who received such notices, and a number of other developers have mentioned them on Twitter, so it does appear to be a concerted effort by Apple.
Quote:
Hello XXXX,

We are writing to let you know your app, XXXX, has been removed from the App Store because it is no longer needed to unlock Emoji.

Since iOS 6 now provides Emoji support to all users, your app is no longer in compliance with the App Store Review Guidelines

2.12 Apps that are not very useful, are simply web sites bundled as apps, or do not provide any lasting entertainment value may be rejected

If you have questions about the removal of your application, please contact App Review at appreview@apple.com. Please include the App ID and the name of your application in your email.

Thank you and best regards,

App Review
While Apple's notices state that the apps have been removed from the App Store, they do in fact seem to still be available, so it is unclear exactly what Apple's timeline for taking the apps down may be.

A number of the developers have noted that Apple seems to be targeting any app listing emoji among its features, not just those that are designed solely to enable emoji characters. Consequently, these developers argue that their apps are indeed useful and provide functionality beyond that offered in iOS 6 itself.

Article Link: Emoji Apps No Longer Welcome in App Store Following Native iOS 6 Support
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:03 AM   #2
SimonTheSoundMa
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
2.12 Apps that are not very useful, are simply web sites bundled as apps, or do not provide any lasting entertainment value may be rejected
That's 2/3rds of the apps in the App Store then.
SimonTheSoundMa is offline   44 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:32 AM   #3
Kaibelf
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTheSoundMa View Post
Please list the link to your useful iOS productivity app. I'm interested in trying it....

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post
Just big brother policing the Apple eco-system and weeding the walled garden... no need for concern.
I suppose you also complain because Wal-Mart doesn't carry adult DVDs?
Kaibelf is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:33 AM   #4
Eckscaliber
macrumors 6502a

This is good. There is definitely no need for the garbage Emoji apps.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:36 AM   #5
Blomkvist
macrumors member

So here's a silly question:

How do you use Emoji's without the apps?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:56 AM   #6
gotluck
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blomkvist View Post

settings - general - keyboard - international keyboards - add new keyboard - emoji

Then, use the new globe button on your standard keyboard to access the emoji keyboard

don't feel bad, I just found out too..
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:03 AM   #7
jamojamo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blomkvist View Post

Ooops, already answererd

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
actually any smartphone can display those "iOS" emojis by now

---

by the way, how did apple come up with those categories? what does a bell icon have to do with food for example? always baffles my mind
Maybe a Dinner bell? or
Pavlov's bell signaling food coming for his dogs?

(Maybe they should have the bell link to their coming soon page for new hardware to get the salivating started? )

Last edited by jamojamo; Nov 2, 2012 at 11:01 AM. Reason: gotluck beat me to it :)
jamojamo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:37 AM   #8
Xenomorph
macrumors 6502a

1) Emoji was enabled for all as of iOS 5.0. Not 6.0.

2) Not all iOS devices can run iOS 6. Some are limited to 3.1.3, 4.2.1, and 5.1.1.

2a) I hope Apple allows new apps to be submitted if they are for iOS 3.x and 4.x devices *AND* specify in the description that you do not need to use a program if you are running iOS 5.x or newer.

3) OMG THANK YOU! I *hated* seeing that top apps #6, #10, #15, #20, etc, etc, etc were all PAY Emoji apps. Some review were from people buying them for their new iPhone 5, not knowing Emoji were already unlocked.

Last edited by Xenomorph; Nov 2, 2012 at 03:46 PM.
Xenomorph is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:42 AM   #9
Xenomorph
macrumors 6502a

Hmmm.. Emoji apps are still there. Still in the top spots, as well..
Xenomorph is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:43 AM   #10
Ahonen
macrumors regular

I really can't stand those things. I wish there was a way to turn them off completely, everywhere, on every device and in every browser. I never really cared for : ) and all the other permutations, but the full color pictures are even worse. In my opinion. I guess I am the only one who hates emoticons and emoji.
Ahonen is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:44 AM   #11
glap1922
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahonen View Post
I really can't stand those things. I wish there was a way to turn them off completely, everywhere, on every device and in every browser. I never really cared for : ) and all the other permutations, but the full color pictures are even worse. In my opinion. I guess I am the only one who hates emoticons and emoji.
You aren't alone...
glap1922 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:49 AM   #12
tatonka
macrumors 6502

Wow .. I head now idea ..
tatonka is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:55 AM   #13
coolbreeze
macrumors 65816

I always cringed when I saw the reviews of those emoji apps:

"This iS tEh besT eVAr!! SO fuN! DowNloaD ThiS aPp NOw!"

Meanwhile, these idiots paid $.99 - $1.99 for nothing more than an app with a set of instructions on how to enable what was already present on their phone. It's about time Apple pulled the plug on these shady apps.

It is like charging for an app that "unlocks" bluetooth, that's nothing more than instructions on how to turn BT on. Preying on the uninformed. Sad.

Oh, and I fell victim to this as well a few years back. Didn't know any better and when I found out, I felt real dumb. It's unfortunate that anyone makes money off of this.

Nexus 5 & 7, OnePlusOne, iPhone 5, iPad 4, 15" rMBP, SP3, Lumia 920.

Last edited by coolbreeze; Nov 2, 2012 at 11:03 AM.
coolbreeze is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:58 AM   #14
ImanIphone
macrumors newbie

How do you enable it? Yes, I'm slow.
ImanIphone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:10 PM   #15
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImanIphone View Post
How do you enable it? Yes, I'm slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotluck View Post
settings - general - keyboard - international keyboards - add new keyboard - emoji

Then, use the new globe button on your standard keyboard to access the emoji keyboard

don't feel bad, I just found out too..

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTheSoundMa View Post
2.12 Apps that are not very useful, are simply web sites bundled as apps, or do not provide any lasting entertainment value may be rejected.

Last edited by justperry; Nov 2, 2012 at 12:15 PM.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:05 PM   #16
AnonMac50
macrumors 65816

And that means that iOS 5 native support for emojis are nonexistent.
AnonMac50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:03 AM   #17
chainprayer
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to chainprayer
What about people with older devices that don't want to or can't upgrade to iOS 6?
chainprayer is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:07 AM   #18
FSMBP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainprayer View Post
What about people with older devices that don't want to or can't upgrade to iOS 6?
Emojis were brought in iOS 5. If your device isn't compatible with iOS 5, I'm guessing your iPhone 3G or original iPhone would have to make due by quickly downloading those Emoji apps.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:10 AM   #19
brock2621
macrumors 6502a

Meh, who cares? They didn't take long to build so they aren't out much, and the ones in iOS 6 are perfect to express "emotions." Less cluttered app store, less time app approval teams have to waste on apps like this, and more time for them to approve Google Maps app faster
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:11 AM   #20
STiNG Operation
macrumors 6502a

These apps were such a scam. Only iOS users could see them when received lol. I just use copy and paste's site for symbols when texting another non iOS device.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:13 AM   #21
Meandmunch
macrumors 6502

The Android store can fill up with all the useless Crap Apps, I for one appreciate some level of quality control.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:56 AM   #22
bushido
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by STiNG Operation View Post
These apps were such a scam. Only iOS users could see them when received lol. I just use copy and paste's site for symbols when texting another non iOS device.
actually any smartphone can display those "iOS" emojis by now

---

by the way, how did apple come up with those categories? what does a bell icon have to do with food for example? always baffles my mind
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:12 AM   #23
theanimaster
macrumors 6502

... and what of the Emoji apps for MAC?? I downloaded two (the first one sucked ass... can't believe I paid for that crap) and the one I currently use doesn't have the additional Emojis that the iOS6 introduced. The developer's site doesn't work either.
theanimaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:26 PM   #24
flindet
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theanimaster View Post
... and what of the Emoji apps for MAC?? I downloaded two (the first one sucked ass... can't believe I paid for that crap) and the one I currently use doesn't have the additional Emojis that the iOS6 introduced. The developer's site doesn't work either.
To access Native Emoji in Lion or later, go to Edit > Special Characters or Cmd-Alt-T. The shortcut doesn't work in all applications (it hides the address bar in safari, for example), but it does in iMessage and probably many others.

Edit: Corrected shortcut. Thanks, Tinmania!

Last edited by flindet; Nov 2, 2012 at 06:37 PM.
flindet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 02:28 PM   #25
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by flindet View Post
To access Native Emoji in Lion or later, go to Edit > Special Characters or Ctrl-Alt-T. The shortcut doesn't work in all applications (it hides the address bar in safari, for example), but it does in iMessage and probably many others.
That doesn't do anything for me (btw it should be option-command-t). That is even in iMessage.

I use Character Viewer for emoji on OS X but it is kind of pain.

Michael
Tinmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion