3-4 hours 25 29.41%
4-5 hours 25 29.41%
5-6 hours 17 20.00%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:07 AM   #1
tudyniuz
macrumors member

11" Macbook Air 2012 Battery Life

I was wondering how many hours of regular use do you get from your MacAir. I heard many people complaining about poor battery life. I'm wondering what people really get from their MacAir. I usually get 3 hours from it.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:20 AM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudyniuz View Post
I was wondering how many hours of regular use do you get from your MacAir. I heard many people complaining about poor battery life. I'm wondering what people really get from their MacAir. I usually get 3 hours from it.
There are many factors that impact your battery life, and comparing with other users is pointless, as everyone has different computing habits, runs different apps, different settings, etc. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:42 AM   #3
Maniraja
macrumors newbie

Mac Air Battery Life

Thanks for pointing out the obvious that it depends on how you use it. But it is funny how from the day I bought my Air I would do exactly the same things with it after I installed 10.8. Before I got 7 to 8 hours no sweat. The day I installed it to now doing the same stuff it's less than three hours. Bit of surfing, bit of word processing and screen at half brightness. Nothing from Apple obviously not effecting everyone so guess they don't give a ****.
Maniraja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:52 AM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniraja View Post
Thanks for pointing out the obvious that it depends on how you use it. But it is funny how from the day I bought my Air I would do exactly the same things with it after I installed 10.8. Before I got 7 to 8 hours no sweat. The day I installed it to now doing the same stuff it's less than three hours. Bit of surfing, bit of word processing and screen at half brightness. Nothing from Apple obviously not effecting everyone so guess they don't give a ****.
The point is, you're not "doing the same stuff". There is a lot more running on your system than the apps you see on your Dock. There are many processes running in the background and some of these are different between 10.7 and 10.8. Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" to "All Processes" and you'll see what I'm referring to.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:45 AM   #5
Maniraja
macrumors newbie

So does that mean that now I've updraded to Lion 10.8 there is something that runs in the background that reduces my battery life from over 7hours to under 3 when I (me the human being using the computer) is doing the same things. Seems rubbish to me if that's true. Reminds me of having a windows machine always having to hunt around and tweek the bloody think to make it work half decently. I bought this machine as I need long battery life. Apple have taken that away and seem to be doing nothing about it.
Maniraja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:51 AM   #6
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
So does that mean that now I've updraded to Lion 10.8 there is something that runs in the background that reduces my battery life from over 7hours to under 3 when I (me the human being using the computer) is doing the same things.
Why not simply look at Activity Monitor and find out? You could have a single process that is putting high demands on system resources and draining your battery faster. Follow every step of the following instructions precisely. Do not skip any steps.
  1. Launch Activity Monitor
  2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
  3. Click on the "% CPU" column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
    (If that column isn't visible, right-click on the column headings and check it, NOT "CPU Time")
  4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
  5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
  6. Post your screenshots.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 06:49 AM   #7
msjones
macrumors 6502

I get 4-4.5 hours from my new base 11" MBA when working with a linux virtual machine, running an external USB wireless adapter. This is includes occasionally having an external USB 3.0 drive connected.

To get my max battery life I have the display lighting low, bluetooth disabled, if im using my external wifi adapter I disable the internal wireless.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:31 AM   #8
OnceYouGoMac
macrumors 6502

Usually 3-4 hours, depending on what I'm doing. It doesn't last as quick if I'm playing games or watching loads of Youtube videos while using it on battery.
OnceYouGoMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 06:33 PM   #9
JayEl54
macrumors newbie

Agreed depends on what your doing

If i just surf the web and listen to music I can get a good 4+ hours out of it. I always end up on YouTube somehow and once you start watching video the battery just drains.
JayEl54 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:08 PM   #10
robvas
macrumors 68000

Use Safari (and don't have Flash installed) and you should be able to get 4-5 hours out of it.
robvas is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:59 PM   #11
tudyniuz
macrumors member

With Brightness just below medium, 1 bar for keyboard lighting, Bluetooth off, Wi-Fi off, just using Microsoft Word and Powerpoint, after a little over 2 hours i had 82% left. I guess it's pretty good.

I had no other apps running in the backround besides the two.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:09 AM   #12
Mopar
macrumors member

Quote:
So does that mean that now I've updraded to Lion 10.8 there is something that runs in the background that reduces my battery life from over 7hours to under 3 when I (me the human being using the computer) is doing the same things. Seems rubbish to me if that's true. Reminds me of having a windows machine always having to hunt around and tweek the bloody think to make it work half decently. I bought this machine as I need long battery life. Apple have taken that away and seem to be doing nothing about it.
I've never heard of any 11" MBA getting anywhere near 7 hours - and I've gone through a few MBAs (11" and 13") over the years.

My wife's 2010 13" would get 7-8 hours on a regular basis, but her 2012 seems to get closer to 7 than 8 these days.

My current 11" (2011) gets around 3-4 hours if I go easy on the battery. It would appear that's about average.
Mopar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:24 AM   #13
Ray Brady
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar View Post
I've never heard of any 11" MBA getting anywhere near 7 hours.
Mine gets over seven hours in regular usage, however my "regular usage" rarely involves Wi-Fi. For the most part, I use my MBA for writing, and only activate the Wi-Fi when I need it.
Ray Brady is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:39 AM   #14
LapsangSouchong
macrumors 65816

I *had* been getting much better battery usage. Now it's about 2.5 hours.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:23 PM   #15
alanramsey
macrumors newbie

Until today I was getting only about 2.5 hours. I have wifi always on, bluetooth off, screen on 3 bars, not many apps running.

After reading this thread I checked my Activity Monitor and found that DirectoryService was using approx 100% CPU. I killed Kies (which I never use) - now DirectoryService has magically gone down to 0% and it looks like I will be getting 7 hours out of my battery.

How annoying that Kies can cause so much hassle when I don't even use it. But at least I now know!
alanramsey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:53 PM   #16
luffytubby
macrumors 6502a

damn, this machine is begging for a haswell upgrade. I have a 200 dollars netbook that lasts 7 hours:/

How long would a Ipad with keyboard attached last in comparison?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air