Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:09 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Nexus 10 Reviews Hit the Web as Fourth-Generation iPad Sales Begin

Just as Apple begins sales of the fourth-generation iPad and the iPad mini today, the embargo has lifted on reviews of Google's Nexus 10 tablet announced earlier this week. The device, which is manufactured by Samsung, builds on the relative success of the Nexus 7 to go head-to-head with the full-size iPad with a screen packing even more pixels than Apple's iPad Retina display.

While tablet manufacturers have been able to make inroads on the market by targeting smaller 7-inch screen sizes, they have had less success competing directly against the full-size iPad. But as each new device packs in the latest features and specs, it is interesting to see how they compare to the iPad, which Apple has tried to keep at the head of the pack with its latest update offering double the performance compared to its predecessor.

Engadget
Quote:
We'll type it again just because it's kind of neat: 2,560 x 1,600. That's an awful, awful lot of pixels in just a 10.1-inch PLS LCD panel -- way more than a 1080p HDTV contains. That it's in something that comfortably can be carried around, and that can be acquired for under $400, is quite a marvelous feat. It's good to live in the future.

And, indeed, things look fantastically sharp here. Text is rendered incredibly crisply and the UI looks better than ever. The first-party icons are all crisp and clean, though many third-party app icons do look like they could use a new, higher-resolution rendering. Thankfully, the apps themselves overwhelmingly look fine.
The Verge
Quote:
The Nexus 10 feels like Google's open letter to developers. "Look how great Android tablets can be," the company seems to be saying, "if only you'd make great apps!" The Nexus 10's display is every bit the Retina's equal, the build quality is excellent, and it even has a half-decent set of speakers. Android 4.2 is more stable than ever, and Android does a lot of great things iOS simply doesn't. But you take it out of the box, say it's beautiful and fast... then what? Apple's tablet has 250,000-plus other apps that look and work great on a huge, high-res screen, and Android's ecosystem is leagues behind. The Nexus 10 is a great way to watch movies, but there's absolutely no way it's going to replace your laptop the way the iPad could.
ReadWrite
Quote:
The Nexus 10, built by go-to Google partner Samsung, feels like it's built for working and playing. It's grippy and rubbery, and the edges have this gentle slope that fits in hands in a variety of ways. You can hold it with one hand. I found my favorite way to use it was resting on the palm of one hand, like a painter's palette, using it with the other hand. I'd never do that with an iPad.
TechCrunch
Quote:
It's time for Google to step up to the plate and control the entire experience of Android and hardware. Does that mean that other hardware manufacturers should get the shaft? Maybe not, but I think Apple's #1 genius move is that it controls the hardware and software.

Apple has an advantage, but Google is right there on the cusp of something amazing. Maybe you don't agree with my statement that Android has a leg up for the tablet experience, but it's worth thinking about.
Overall, reviewers seem to feel that the Nexus 10 is a quality tablet that is still being held back by issues with Android and content, although TechCrunch remains impressed by the tablet experience on Android. With pricing starting at $399 for a 16 GB model, those looking for an iPad alternative are hoping that momentum at the 7-inch size will help drive developers to better optimize the Android tablet experience and provide a viable competitor for the full-size iPad.

Article Link: Nexus 10 Reviews Hit the Web as Fourth-Generation iPad Sales Begin
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:12 PM   #2
STiNG Operation
macrumors 6502a

Maybe someday these companies will be able to collaborate so that this "awesome" technology can become "awesomer" lol

i.e. Lack of ecosystem
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:13 PM   #3
FFArchitect
macrumors regular

"Android 4.2 is more stable than ever"
Old Nov 2, 2012, 07:09 PM   #4
tzeshan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFArchitect View Post
Does it mean it crashes? Why the reviewer are so kind to Android?
tzeshan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:51 PM   #5
alexN350z
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFArchitect View Post
This is awesome, I heard this almost every new Android version coming out since 2.3.

How many devices on 4.1 JB? only 2.7% before 4.2 coming out, pathetic.
alexN350z is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:00 PM   #6
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexN350z View Post
This is awesome, I heard this almost every new Android version coming out since 2.3.
The strange thing would be that new versions are LESS stable
Oletros is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:14 PM   #7
Gerace
macrumors newbie

Hmm

There is only so many pixels you need in a tablet isn't there?
Gerace is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:49 PM   #8
Johbremat
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerace View Post
There is only so many pixels you need in a tablet isn't there?
Interesting comment.

Oh. And digging the resolution of the devices in your signature.
Johbremat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:14 PM   #9
santydolby
macrumors newbie

Nexus 10 harboring HP webOS. Booom!
santydolby is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:18 PM   #10
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Those phone apps stretched on the 7" tabs will look awesome on a 10" tab

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   47 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:34 PM   #11
jsw
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
Just as awesome as the phone apps look on iPads.

There are a lot of Android tablet apps.

As I said, the iPad 4 still wins, but the margin of victory is going down over time. However, I think that's because everyone's getting better, not because Apple is lagging, and I am glad there are options, because options keep companies busy making things better.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
However, because of how Android handles resolution, app makers have been lazy. A blown up phone app doesn't suit a 10" tablet, even if there is no blurry text.
I completely agree with that.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:19 PM   #12
MacDav
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw View Post
Just as awesome as the phone apps look on iPads.

There are a lot of Android tablet apps.

As I said, the iPad 4 still wins, but the margin of victory is going down over time. However, I think that's because everyone's getting better, not because Apple is lagging, and I am glad there are options, because options keep companies busy making things better.

----------

I completely agree with that.
Love your avatar. Pretty much agree with your statements also.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathChill View Post
Whoa, whoa, whoa! Lilo doesn't just spend all of his time on an Apple forum, he also frequents Apple articles on other sites to complain about Apple.
Okay then...I stand corrected

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenShaw View Post
...but Apple's earnings depend to a frightening extent on a loyal fan base which will stand in pouring rain overnight to be the first to get the latest Apple gadget.

If Apple loses that fan base, the stock will drop into the teens.
That's a big IF
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:55 PM   #13
Lennholm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I still don't understand why different resolutions and/or aspect ratios is such a big problem all of a sudden. Developers have been dealing with this since the early 90's and web designers are dealing with it on a daily basis in the form of responsive design.
Lennholm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:59 PM   #14
rocksyoursock
macrumors member

I'm really happy that there is a good android tablet out there on the market with a competitive price. I love my iPad and I am not switching over (I switched from Android phone and PC to Apple last year and am very happy with all my Apple products) but it's good to see some solid competition. Good competition benefits everyone :-)
rocksyoursock is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:00 PM   #15
DJTaurus
macrumors 6502a

Lol

Lag on Verges review...and they said Nexus 7 has better materials... they mean better plastics.

The worlds higher resolution screen with stretched smartphone apps...
DJTaurus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 07:04 PM   #16
Casiotone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennholm View Post
I still don't understand why different resolutions and/or aspect ratios is such a big problem all of a sudden. Developers have been dealing with this since the early 90's and web designers are dealing with it on a daily basis in the form of responsive design.
Two main reasons:

1-Touch targets sizes are directly linked to the screen size vs. a human finger. A mouse driven platform doesn't really have to care about that. A mouse cursor will still have a 1 pixel click size on any screen, wether it's 11" or 50" .

2-Mobile devices are small by definition, and so are their screen. It's much more important on a mobile device with a small screen not to waste screen estate like so many Androids apps seem to do when running on tablets.

So dealing with different resolutions and/or aspect ratios is such a big problem all of a sudden because mobile touch based devices are important all of a sudden.

Responsive design and what Android does to deal with that comes with tradeoffs. There's no way to automagically adapt a layout so that it is always perfectly optimized at any screen size. Human intervention is needed to optimize and in some cases rethink interfaces to take full advantage of a bigger/smaller screen.
Casiotone is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:07 PM   #17
Yevhen
macrumors newbie

Hey, Nexus is a cool device. If I wasn't already tied into the Apple "ecosystem", I'd probably choose Nexus over the iPad. However, I must say that I am very impressed with my iPad mini so far.
Yevhen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:36 PM   #18
gorskiegangsta
macrumors 65816

Quote:
And that's the reason why I wouldn't even consider an Android tablet in place of iPad at this point.

The Nexus 7 can be bearable if you already own an iPad and/or laptop, because the "phone apps" scale half decently to a 7" 1270x800 display, and because of its extremely low price. As for Nexus 10, IMO even at $400 it doesn't offer as much as the retina iPad does; or even iPad 2, for that matter.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:24 AM   #19
Ryan John
macrumors regular

Quote:
Ignorance is bliss
Ryan John is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:41 AM   #20
kalsta
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masputo14 View Post
I find it funny when a great product comes out and all people say on here is "Do we really need that many pixels??, who needs NFC, Even tho the Nexus10 has hdmi out, better screen, more capable OS, and is $100 cheaper the iPad is still the better option" Cant we give credit where credit is due??
Sure, we should give credit where credit is due… But do we really need that many pixels?? Serious question! If you can't see any pixelation when using Apple's Retina display, why do you need more? I can't see any reason other than to boast about specs—and that's probably the only reason they've done it. Marketing. While Apple's advertising is centred around the user experience, much of the competition focuses on specs—because that's where they're able to beat Apple.

Similarly, I hope Apple doesn't feel the pressure to go beyond 8MP with their cameras. For a consumer camera of this kind, it's simply unnecessary—nothing but a waste of storage space to store all those extra pixels.
kalsta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:20 PM   #21
aaaaaaron
macrumors regular

The Nexus 7 is not a "relative" success, it's almost up to selling a million a month

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2012/10/...llion-a-month/

And while it is true that the so called eco-system is lacking, Google is making a lot of headway with affordably priced products. Think about it, $349 for an unlocked 16GB Nexus 4 compared to a $649 16GB iPhone 5 is such a steal. Android is still developing itself, but is become better and better with each OS update, and it's only a matter of time before they are on par with iOS. I wish more tech companies would take the reasonably price route instead of following Apple's lead in the "premium" market.
aaaaaaron is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:22 PM   #22
KylePowers
macrumors 68000

Quote:
The Nexus 10 feels like Google's open letter to developers. "Look how great Android tablets can be," the company seems to be saying, "if only you'd make great apps!" The Nexus 10's display is every bit the Retina's equal, the build quality is excellent, and it even has a half-decent set of speakers. Android 4.2 is more stable than ever, and Android does a lot of great things iOS simply doesn't. But you take it out of the box, say it's beautiful and fast... then what? Apple's tablet has 250,000-plus other apps that look and work great on a huge, high-res screen, and Android's ecosystem is leagues behind. The Nexus 10 is a great way to watch movies, but there's absolutely no way it's going to replace your laptop the way the iPad could.
Wait, what?

Okay, so I didn't read the full article, so maybe that's why I'm confused, but I'd imagine an Android tablet being a lot more capable of replacing a laptop than an iPad
KylePowers is offline   25 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:24 PM   #23
aaaaaaron
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KylePowers View Post
Wait, what?

Okay, so I didn't read the full article, so maybe that's why I'm confused, but I'd imagine an Android tablet being a lot more capable of replacing a laptop than an iPad
I think they are saying this because of the app selection.
aaaaaaron is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:25 PM   #24
maccompatible
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Wait, what?

They're mainly talking about app/content support. Not just "can we plug a 10$ USB keyboard into it?"
maccompatible is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 07:09 PM   #25
cycomiko
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Wait, what?

the verge is nuts. An ipad cant even replace my netbook, let alone my macbook.

android is a little better for laptop replacement, but they are not there yet.

Future is coming, and i am looking forward to it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
If we rewind back to 2007, Bill Gates was probably the biggest, most vocal advocate of tablet computing, while Apple was mum on the issue, even though now we know that Apple was floating prototypes internally.
Might have to rewind a little more than that, maybe 2002?
cycomiko is online now   4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion