Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
If so, why? I have been an Android user for about 5 years now since the HTC Hero and have also owned several of the Evo phones and each of the Galaxy phones. Was with AT&T and fully planning on getting the Note 2 in a few weeks. I had dropped and broke my Galaxy S3 a few months ago and had to pay $200 for another one thru the insurance. Well I dropped my S3 again a few days ago and it broke even with the case and I was looking at another $200 although I had insurance.

I have Apple everything including an iMac, MBA and Apple TV but I nver cared for the iPhone. The iPhone 5 had started to attract my attention though because with the increased size, LTE and tweaks to iOS, I felt it was catching up to Android. I have also become frustrated waiting forever to get the current version of Android on my phone. No matter what phone, I was always an update or two behind and had no interest in the Nexus line as my Nexus S 4G on Sprint was the worst phone I ever owned. US carriers keep pushing back the Jellybean update on the S3, now its not going to be until early next year. Most annoying thing is that the wait is purely for the carriers to add their bloatware to the new update, something Apple doesnt allow on the iPhone thankfully.

I was also growing tired of AT&Ts slower network, dropped calls and poor reception in my area. Went into the Apple store and ended up getting the iPhone 5 for Verizon. There are some things I like more on the iPhone and some things are better on the S3/Android. Getting used to the smaller sized screen but its for sure a higher quality display and I love the camera. The 5 also seems snappier opening apps and doing most things. No real complaints so far and we will what happens when the Note 2 comes out.

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
I did just the opposite I returned my AT&T iphone 5 and picked up a Verizon Motorola Razr HD. First thumbs up on dropping AT&T Verizon is so much more professional and organized.

I'm 100% happy with the Razr HD it's an awesome device I just don't get the iphone craze anymore.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
I did just the opposite I returned my AT&T iphone 5 and picked up a Verizon Motorola Razr HD. First thumbs up on dropping AT&T Verizon is so much more professional and organized.

I'm 100% happy with the Razr HD it's an awesome device I just don't get the iphone craze anymore.

I had the Razr Maxx for awhile until the screen just bothered me too much and then the S3 came out. I really liked Motocast though. Worked great with my Macs too.

Ericcc

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
Montreal
My gf went from a Xperia X10 Mini (mid 2010) to a iPhone 5. I got her the phone because she needed the medical apps, which are better or exclusive on iOS. Her transition from Android to iOS hasn't been very smooth, but she's used to it now.

To be honest, she's probably a near worst-case scenario as an adopter. Never owned an iOS device, used Android for 2 years now, absolutely a power user, who loves to get every ounce out of a technology, very organized, heavily invested in Google services, and stingy ;)

Her biggest gripes are well-know: the restrictive icon grid and file sharing between apps. The Apps Store also could be better. It has tons of apps yes, but not enough in distinguishing which one is best. Compounding matters is that apps are more expensive and there's no 30 min trial like in the play store.

She's not going to switch cause this phone cost a lot unlocked, but this will probably be the last iPhone she buys unless there are major UI overhauls, medical apps or no medical apps.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Me. I owned 6 different android phones before my first iPhone.

The poor carrier, developer, and manufacturer support drove me nuts, which is the main reason I changed.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
I went from iPod Touch + dumbphone to an android smartphone, and now i'm going back to iPod Touch + dumbphone.

I am having a lot of issues with my android set, and with the 4G service that it's on. That's a main reason why I am making the switch. The other reasons are, I prefer iOS to Android, and there are lots of iOS apps that are not available on Android that I really miss and want to have back, but on the other hand, there are hardly any android apps that I really enjoy and use that aren't on iOS.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
My wife went from a Samsung Galaxy Q to an iPhone 4S. Mainly, she got the iP for free as her father had an extra one. Her favourite features of the iPhone is that it is an iPhone and she can change cases.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
I did, in a way. I was getting sick of iOS and bought a Nexus 7 after reading good review after good review, planning to move over to Android full time. I was intending on getting a Galaxy S3 or what's now been revealed as the Nexus 4. I'm glad I got the N7 first so I could experience what Android was like before getting an Android phone, it saved me from two years of frustration. The N7, even with Jelly Bean, is laggy and the apps I use were either missing entirely or laggy with missing features.

So instead of getting a Galaxy S3, I got an iPhone 5, which solved my main gripe with my 3GS (it was getting incredibly slow as of the last few updates) and features the same great app selection. Really, for a phone in Australia, the iPhone offers unparalleled app selection, Android's selection is incredibly poor in comparison. I now appreciate the iPhone again, after seeing
PHP:
the other side.

I'm also selling off my Nexus 7 and will be getting a Windows 8 Pro tablet early next year. Android's selling points, its openness and tweakability, will be trounced by Windows 8 and its access to years and years of programs and tweaks. Starcraft 2 and split screen tablet apps, all on the one device? Hell yeah, sign me up.

Redsew

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
Well, my friend had a galaxy s2 and switched over to an iPhone 3GS saying that android is gay... He used the galaxy for a year and decided to switch and he states that even if it's little laggy, the iPhone 3GS is a whole lot better than any android phone lol.
He is now about to switch over to the iPhone 5 and ever since switching, he's been really heavy on apple.

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
It was Pentile Matrix, displayed a blueish tint and was too dark even on full brightness.

We can't be talking about the same phone mine is a Droid Razr HD and the screen is plenty bright. I found it to be brighter then the iphone 5. Anyway enjoy!

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
We can't be talking about the same phone mine is a Droid Razr HD and the screen is plenty bright. I found it to be brighter then the iphone 5. Anyway enjoy!

I said the Razr Maxx. Completely different phone than the Droid Razr HD

jimmyb5374

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
berkshire,U.K.
Having had android phones since whenever , and now being the proud? owner of an iphone 4s i can see both sides of the coin :

The iphone hasn't frozen / lagged / needed resetting in the week or so i have owned it , but the galaxy s2 /s3 or xperia s did / have .

However I personally can't help feel apple are kind of running scared of adopting full screen / re-sizable widgets / live tiles or whatever for fear of their smooth os becoming laggy / freezing and thats why they are still back in 2009 as far as innovation goes

Its a no win situation really, you let everyone access and mutilate apps and the phones run slow/get slated , but if you don't like apple you get year old technology on a 3 year old base because it just keeps going smoothly in most everyones case.

I personally won't be upgrading to the next iphone unless they get the os to at least have sizable widgets and be able to adapt your home screens a lot more than now . I am sure apple are quaking at losing my custom but i just get the feeling a fair few more may risk the lag etc in coming months.

James

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Having had android phones since whenever , and now being the proud? owner of an iphone 4s i can see both sides of the coin :

The iphone hasn't frozen / lagged / needed resetting in the week or so i have owned it , but the galaxy s2 /s3 or xperia s did / have .

However I personally can't help feel apple are kind of running scared of adopting full screen / re-sizable widgets / live tiles or whatever for fear of their smooth os becoming laggy / freezing and thats why they are still back in 2009 as far as innovation goes

Its a no win situation really, you let everyone access and mutilate apps and the phones run slow/get slated , but if you don't like apple you get year old technology on a 3 year old base because it just keeps going smoothly in most everyones case.

I personally won't be upgrading to the next iphone unless they get the os to at least have sizable widgets and be able to adapt your home screens a lot more than now . I am sure apple are quaking at losing my custom but i just get the feeling a fair few more may risk the lag etc in coming months.

James

If widgets are that big a deal to you, jailbreak and download dashboard x

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Jellybean on the S3 = the least laggy experience ive ever encountered on a mobile device

This one of the main reasons I got fed up with Android. Out here in the US, only the Sprint version of the S3 has been updated with JB...wtf? Why is it available to Sprint S3 users but not the other 3 carriers? Could you imagine the Sprint iPhone getting ios6 while AT&T and Verizon users got told they couldn't update for at least another 3 months? There would be riots. That is completely unacceptable and I just got sick of it.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
This one of the main reasons I got fed up with Android. Out here in the US, only the Sprint version of the S3 has been updated with JB...wtf? Why is it available to Sprint S3 users but not the other 3 carriers? Could you imagine the Sprint iPhone getting ios6 while AT&T and Verizon users got told they couldn't update for at least another 3 months? There would be riots. That is completely unacceptable and I just got sick of it.

Android is a different beast. I don't get why people don't understand this. People know what they're getting into, then complain about it. If updates are that important to you, there is the Nexus line. If the Nexus line has too many compromises (like LTE, SD expansion, removable batteries), there are other options.

That's how Android rolls. It gives you choices. The choices aren't always easy, but hard choices are better than no choices. If you want the freedom of Android, you'll have to do research and choose what works best. If you want the simplicity and security of iOS, go back.

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I went from a Samsung Moment to a Samsung Epic to some LG android phone..then the iPhone 4s. I tried to like android and it was fun for a while with being able to put your own roms on the phone but it just stopped being fun after a while. I had nothing but problems and headaches and not to mention insane battery drain when my phone was in standby mode to where I had to charge it every night.

The iPhone 4s is awesome. I have been able to get every update the same time as everyone else so the phone doesn't feel outdated even though it is...I love how many accessories are available for it...Also the battery on it is awesome. With light usage, if I forget to plug it in before I go to bed, it isn't dead when I wake up in the morning. I haven't had any issues with apps crashing on me...also the selection of quality apps available is amazing.

I recently got a Kindle Fire HD tablet and all it has done is made me so much more appreciative of the iPad and Apple in general.

Windows 8 phones are looking pretty tempting though.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
You DO realize the Nexus 4 is only available to two carriers right? Not everyone has AT&T or T Mobile, I am on Verizon. The older CDMA Nexus phone are a joke, so yea...

Okay, so, if updates are that important to you, there is the Nexus line.

If there are compromises you can't make, there is always iOS. I'm not trying to be short. If you do prefer Android, then that's just how the Android model is. It's a problem that needs to get even better (they have gotten better), definitely, but you know about this. Everyone's known this for years about Android.

According to your OP, I don't see any reason why you'd hesitate to get an iPhone. Go for it.

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
I went from an HTC Desire to the iPhone 4 and iOS was a breath of fresh air. I also had an HTC One as a work phone for a short while.

I find Android devices a bit like desktop Linux - it's powerful, looks cool at first, but the more you use it the more, I dunno, junky it seems to polished iOS even with its limitations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.