Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
What version of iOS are you running? I'd assume that Siri's "voice" is a part of the OS that's physically on the phone, not something on Apple's server end that they can change at any time to make her sound different.

I'm on 6.0 and she sounds the same.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
It has a long, LONG way to go before Siri sounds more natural than Google's offering though...

I can't be the only one who finds it sad that Google Search not only sounds more natural than Siri, but it understands me better and is far quicker.

iPhoneApple

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2011
It has a long, LONG way to go before Siri sounds more natural than Google's offering though...

I can't be the only one who finds it sad that Google Search not only sounds more natural than Siri, but it understands me better and is far quicker.

Google Now blows Siri out of the water, but it sounds more robotic.

oddnendz

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2007
Raleigh, NC
what version of ios are you running? I'd assume that siri's "voice" is a part of the os that's physically on the phone, not something on apple's server end that they can change at any time to make her sound different.

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Yes, but the google app that is available now only searches google. It can't really do anything else (yet).

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Yes, but the google app that is available now only searches google. It can't really do anything else (yet).

It's not integrated into the system, so it can't set alarms, text, or write reminders, but it can (sadly) do most the rest even better than Siri... including sports scores, trailers, and weather.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
What version of iOS are you running? I'd assume that Siri's "voice" is a part of the OS that's physically on the phone, not something on Apple's server end that they can change at any time to make her sound different.

I'm running 6.0.1.

It sounds more natural, but a bit too terse compared to Google search/Now. At first Google Now sounded too b*tchy and matter of factly, but now it's pretty good.

I don't know the size of the 6.0.1 update, but was more than a few MBs so they could have tweaked Siri's voice a bit. I wish Apple would do more of these gradual updates instead of releasing minor upgrades once a year. It may do good to get people to upgrade every year, but in the mean time it just makes iOS look stagnant compared to other OSes.

brylliant

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom

erratikmind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
S.F./Las Vegas

No, you are not alone. I too feel that Google Search is far superior to Apple's Siri with regard to speech recognition, speed, and effectiveness, albeit not intergraded into the iOS. Now, if Apple is able to match the said, Siri would indeed be stellar. Hopefully, this will happen in short time.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Google sounds WAY better...I love the Siri integration, but after using the Google voice (just the iOS version, not on Android), I can't believe how "robotic" Siri is...especially when it integrates my name.

The gaps and inflections are way off compared to the Google I have used or what I have seen as used on Android devices.

Would be a HUGE improvement if they could just make it sound more natural.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.