Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 3, 2012, 07:38 AM   #1
KittyKatta
macrumors 6502

The iPad mini has me convinced that We Need a Bigger iPhone!

So I got my iPad Mini and after just a few hours use then I'm fully convinced that we need an option for a bigger iPhone!!!! Im not saying replace the current size, but give an option for a 4.3-5" screen for those of us who recognize the benefits of a bigger screen.

The things most dramatically improved for me is typing and reading (which are the things I do most on a smartphone).
Typing: Bigger keys means less typos so I'm able to punch out emails without constantly doing corrections.

Reading: My reading workflow usually involve a lot of rotating and zooming to find an optimal reading size so a bigger screen naturally addresses that issue.

Music/Video: The big excuse for mono speakers in iPhones has always been size. The Mini is big enough to house stereo speakers which I feel does improve the media experience quite a bit.

Phone Use: Even though its easy to make fun of people who use gigantic phones, I held my Mini up to my ear and due to the weight then it didnt "feel" as silly as it looks so I'd easily get over it.

I know the big selling point of the 3.5/4" screen is one-handed use but with Siri and the fact that I dont text-and-drive then I dont find many situations in which I MUST type with one hand. So the iPad Mini has convinced me that a bigger iPhone would work out fine. (Just as long as they keep the smaller ones for those who want it)

Last edited by KittyKatta; Nov 3, 2012 at 07:47 AM.
KittyKatta is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 07:46 AM   #2
thewitt
macrumors 68000

No, we don't.
thewitt is offline   44 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 07:55 AM   #3
Jare
macrumors 65816

Hold your iPad Mini up to your face and pretend to make a call.

We will all laugh at you.
Jare is offline   29 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:03 AM   #4
torana355
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jare View Post

There is a big difference between a 7.9" display and a 4.5" display. I don't know how anyone can actually use an ip5 to surf the web with that tiny chocolate bar screen. 4.5" is the minimum size i can stand, the perfect size is around 4.8", i would go bigger if it was practical.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:05 AM   #5
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by torana355 View Post
There is a big difference between a 7.9" display and a 4.5" display. I don't know how anyone can actually use an ip5 to surf the web with that tiny chocolate bar screen. 4.5" is the minimum size i can stand, the perfect size is around 4.8".
this is an opinion right? Don't want you touting this around as fact.
tymaster50 is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:06 AM   #6
torana355
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
this is an opinion right? Don't want you touting this around as fact.
Which part? Ive not met one person that can actually surf the web efficiently with the ip5 screen, not one....I own a ip4 and the only sites a can go on are very simple mobile sites and even they are not great.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:26 AM   #7
fruitpunch.ben
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by torana355 View Post
There is a big difference between a 7.9" display and a 4.5" display. I don't know how anyone can actually use an ip5 to surf the web with that tiny chocolate bar screen. 4.5" is the minimum size i can stand, the perfect size is around 4.8", i would go bigger if it was practical.
That there is the key. The iPhone 5 is as big as Apple can currently make it while still being practical for the majority of people.
Now this is Apple's opinion, and they might change it in the future, in which case they'll make a bigger phone. But for now, this is how it works
Older: 2005 15" PB G4 iPhone 3G
fruitpunch.ben is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 07:29 PM   #8
torana355
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitpunch.ben View Post
That there is the key. The iPhone 5 is as big as Apple can currently make it while still being practical for the majority of people.
Now this is Apple's opinion, and they might change it in the future, in which case they'll make a bigger phone. But for now, this is how it works
Wait so Apple fans are touting how the Ipad Mini can be used with one hand but you cant use a bigger phone then 4"??? Not only are 4.5-8" screens very usable they are the norm except for the iphone. It does not matter anyway i can bet the next iphone will be 4.5"+ anyway, then it will be praised by Apple fans....

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Whitman View Post
I sincerely hope that Apple does not make the iPhone any bigger. The current iPhone is perfect. Any bigger and it will become silly and too large to function as a phone.
The same thing was said about the 3.5" iphones....Guess what people love the 4" screen, and guess what they will love the 4.5"+ screen when Apple releases it.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:34 AM   #9
einmusiker
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jare View Post

I make calls with my regular ipad using headphones/mic. Nobody even flinches
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:37 AM   #10
Jare
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by einmusiker View Post
I make calls with my regular ipad using headphones/mic. Nobody even flinches
That's different. Hold it up to your face.
Jare is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 07:59 AM   #11
MattMJB0188
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitt View Post
No, we don't.
Yes, we do. The iPhone 5 feels extremely crowed. Wish they'd release a 4.3" iphone like the perfect Samsung Galaxy S II.
MattMJB0188 is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:34 AM   #12
Patriks7
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
Yes, we do. The iPhone 5 feels extremely crowed. Wish they'd release a 4.3" iphone like the perfect Samsung Galaxy S II.
After using my friends S II, I have to say it is the optimal screen size. Could use it with one hand and still got lot's of content on the screen. Using his S III, I almost wanted to throw that thing at a wall...
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:53 AM   #13
kalexn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
perfect? haha, not quite. That phone is WAY too big. To me it is like a mini tablet.
kalexn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:06 AM   #14
chakraj
macrumors 65816

Perfect size for a phone is 4.7 inch screen small bezel, maybe up to 5 inches if the space is used well enough.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:47 PM   #15
MattMJB0188
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalexn View Post
perfect? haha, not quite. That phone is WAY too big. To me it is like a mini tablet.
Then I'd hate to know what you think of the Samsung Galaxy Note II then.
MattMJB0188 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:50 PM   #16
kalexn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Then I'd hate to know what you think of the Samsung Galaxy Note II then.
haha, my boyfriend's dad has it. Way too big!
kalexn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:17 PM   #17
ZacT94
macrumors regular

Quote:
No that's too small. We need one with a 5-5.5" screen like the note and note 2.
ZacT94 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:30 AM   #18
Myiphone7
Banned

Quote:
No, we don't.

Why wouldn't you want apple to release a bigger iPhone 5.

You don't have to buy, just because they released it. You can keep your iPhone 5.
Myiphone7 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:27 PM   #19
harcosparky
macrumors 68020

Quote:
No, we don't.
Ummmm yes, we do.

The current increase in size is a joke!

If I could put a SIM in the iPad mini, I'd get one in a micro-millisecond.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:26 PM   #20
shenfrey
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
No, we don't.
Man of few words speaks the truth.
Apple TV (2012), IPhone 5, iPad (4th Gen)
shenfrey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:37 PM   #21
sfjava
macrumors member

Quote:
No, we don't.
Agree! I don't want a bigger phone, my pocket pant won't fit.
sfjava is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:30 PM   #22
tegedrex
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfjava View Post
Agree! I don't want a bigger phone, my pocket pant won't fit.
Then stop wearing skinny jeans
tegedrex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:27 PM   #23
dkersten
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegedrex View Post
Then stop wearing skinny jeans
That would be against the hipster code though...

---------------

I understand why some people want to keep the same size phone as the 5. That's fine with me. But there are other people that would love a larger screen phone, including me. What I don't understand is why people who prefer a smaller sized phone are so against a larger phone as long as Apple still offers a smaller sized screen phone. That's just a wee bit selfish don't you think?

I would love for Apple to rotate every 6 months between a new phone of different sizes. Speaking from a business standpoint it makes sense in a lot of ways to adopt this release cycle:

-Apple already maintains two different sizes. Why not drop the 3.5 in and add a 4.6-5.5in size? Just convert the manufacturing lines that produced the 3.5 in into a larger screen line
-Two sizes means a larger market for Apple to have a chance to gain new customers, and keep existing customers who would like a bigger phone
-Hype for two different iPhones a year means less coverage for competitors. Every time a new Apple product is released, it is all over the news (this is where non tech people are influenced from). I never see this kind of coverage for any competitors' products

But there are also downsides:
-Apple would need to figure out a scaling method for apps
-Product differentiation (this seems to be a weak argument IMO)
-Although Apple maintains different manufacturing lines right now, it does cost more money to do so. It would cost additional money to convert old 3.5in lines into a larger sized screen line
-More R&D money spent (but with Apple's cash reserve this should be a mute point. I mean come on Apple...)
-Apple is scrambling to find manufacturers for their products because of their split with Samsung Manufacturing. Right now might not be the best time as they try to keep production up with their existing products.

The way I see it, Apple could benefit greatly (as would customers) if they were willing to drop some money in the beginning and get over their huge ego (they were wrong as to what customers really wanted). They could recorner the market while keeping their profit margins (the galaxy note II is the most expensive phone subsidized and non subsidized). Because Apple made a concession with the Mini, I believe we could see a near phablet sized phone from Apple soon. The only thing I see holding this back is Apple's ego and their lack of manufacturing power resulting in the split of Apple and Samsung (its really a shame because Samsung was/is the best manufacturer for Apple products (quality and capacity))
dkersten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:00 AM   #24
thewitt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
You may.

I do not.

Therefor "we" do not.
thewitt is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:04 AM   #25
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030

I guess as long as they keep the current size ( iph5) then sure add another phone size.

I do not want to lug around a phone that will not fit in my shirt pocket.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone