Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reery

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Hi,

I've got a problem. I used paragon to access the HFS+ partition in Boot Camp but this corrupted my whole hard disc (512 GB SSD on a rMBP).

So I booted with a Ubuntu USB stick and backed up all my files (which was a pain because of missing reading permissions). Then I tried to reinstall ML with no success. The disk utility couldn't unmount devices. I deleted both partitions in Ubuntu and then I could install ML on the old ML-partition.

Now I'm back with ML but have some issues:

- The "Recovery HD" is now always mounted as default.
- The old Boot Camp partition is completely invisible in ML although it's just "deleted" without formatting. I just can't see it in disk utility.

Is there a way to get back my lost 180GB from my Boot Camp partition and add it to my ML partition without losing any data?
Also how can I disable the mounting of the recovery partition?

reery

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Thanks for the reply.

Here is a screenshot.

2e5tn45.png

Edit: I've changed the screenshot, as I've enabled the debug menu in disk utility to see all partitions. disk0s1 is EFI, Mac is my 316GB ML partition, both Recovery HD's are 2x650MB boot and recovery partitions.

Still there is no 180GB partition there.

Edit 2: I've managed to get back my lost partition by formatting it in Ubuntu to NTFS and then erasing it in disk utility to HFS+. But I've still got three problems here:

- One of two Recovery HD-partitions is still mounted on every boot up. I can delete one of these in disk utility, the other one is locked. Can I do this? Also when I hold shift while booting it shows me the ML and two recovery drives to boot from - just WTF?

- When I click on verify or repair in disk utility it shows me this error:
Problems were found with the partition map which might prevent booting
Error: Some information was unavailable during an internal lookup.

This was not before a few minutes.

- I can't merge both HFS+ partitions. Why? When I erase the 180GB one (by clicking on the minus icon) it will be hidden again and I have to boot in Linux once again to format it so I can see it again in ML.

Here is a new screenshot, somehow the second Recovery HD is now also locked. What a mess...

2iwa537.png

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Thanks for the reply.

Here is a screenshot.

Edit: I've changed the screenshot, as I've enabled the debug menu in disk utility to see all partitions. disk0s1 is EFI, Mac is my 316GB ML partition, both Recovery HD's are 2x650MB boot and recovery partitions.

Still there is no 180GB partition there.

Edit 2: I've managed to get back my lost partition by formatting it in Ubuntu to NTFS and then erasing it in disk utility to HFS+. But I've still got three problems here:

- One of two Recovery HD-partitions is still mounted on every boot up. I can delete one of these in disk utility, the other one is locked. Can I do this? Also when I hold shift while booting it shows me the ML and two recovery drives to boot from - just WTF?

- When I click on verify or repair in disk utility it shows me this error:
Problems were found with the partition map which might prevent booting
Error: Some information was unavailable during an internal lookup.

This was not before a few minutes.

- I can't merge both HFS+ partitions. Why? When I erase the 180GB one (by clicking on the minus icon) it will be hidden again and I have to boot in Linux once again to format it so I can see it again in ML.

Here is a new screenshot, somehow the second Recovery HD is now also locked. What a mess...

Wow, you have quite a mess there. If it were me, I'd just make sure I have a good backup of my data and then wipe the whole thing and start fresh.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
^^^ That's what I would do to. Not sure what has happened, but would make sense to start a fresh.

Back up all your data, format the HDD is Disk Utility and start again.

reery

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
OK, i did the job.

I was anxious because of deleting essential partitions like EFI or backup, but afterwards realized that it just doesn't matter because I can completely restore any formatted drive via internet restore. (I did this the first time, so I was unsure if I have to make my own boot USB stick or if it will really recover completely over internet)

I booted in Linux, deleted the hell out of the SSD, then started the recovery process by pressing CMD+R and within 2 hours I've got a clean ML and it's just as I bought it.

What caused my mess? I used internet recover while my hard drive wasn't completely deleted. This is why I had a second recovery partition, and this was then mounted as it wasn't system relevant anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.