Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:32 PM   #1
Jacoblee23
macrumors 6502

Owners of full sized iPad: Have you used your iPad much since getting your mini?

I almost feel bad, because I have only used my ipad 3 for Netflix while I browsed on the mini . The size is just so damn convenient and I can type fast as hell in portrait mode. I love my mini.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 02:35 PM   #2
iBrody
macrumors regular

Probably fairer to ask this question in a month or two tbh
iBrody is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 02:40 PM   #3
OSMac
macrumors 65816

The mini is an excitIng device used it for last day, but I finding the small fonts not as easy to read as the full size, it was a pleasure to fire up the retina again.
OSMac is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 02:42 PM   #4
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

I'm using the Mini more (obviously because its brand new) but I'll probably end up selling my iPad 3.
gmanist1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 02:45 PM   #5
Binarymix
macrumors 6502a

Not using my iPad 3 at all. Trying to sell it for a decent price (thanks apple!).

Other than the yellow corner pissing me off, I don't want to keep noticing the difference between my minis display and the iPad 3's retina. It really is a non-issue unless comparing them side by side.
Binarymix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 02:48 PM   #6
Jacoblee23
macrumors 6502

Yeah, true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBrody View Post
Old Nov 3, 2012, 03:41 PM   #7
reputationZed
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBrody View Post
Agreed, this will be a more relevant question once the new car smell has worn off
reputationZed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 02:48 PM   #8
FiremanMike
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacoblee23 View Post
I almost feel bad, because I have only used my ipad 3 for Netflix while I browsed on the mini . The size is just so damn convenient and I can type fast as hell in portrait mode. I love my mini.
I gave my iPad 2 to my daughter, so none...
FiremanMike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 03:05 PM   #9
Mrrikki
macrumors regular

My mini is on charge, has done 20% in 30 mins on the 10w charger from my ipad 3.

I am using my ipad 3 to type this and dam it feels heavy!
Mrrikki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 03:05 PM   #10
bidwalj
macrumors 6502a

I haven't used mine much, but that's because this device is new. I'll see how things are in a week or so. It's still a bit odd since its a smaller device. The screen doesn't help either when you visit sites like this.
bidwalj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 03:07 PM   #11
HowardSmith
Banned

I am already back on the iPad 3 as I did not like the mini. Can't wait till my 4 LTE arrives in three weeks.

Last edited by HowardSmith; Nov 3, 2012 at 03:21 PM.
HowardSmith is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 03:10 PM   #12
Casey3557
macrumors newbie

Using the 3 now as DH has borrowed the Mini for a test drive.
Casey3557 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 03:26 PM   #13
jazz1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardSmith View Post
I am already back on the iPad 3 as I did not like the mini. Can't wait till my 4 LTE arrives in three weeks.
Can you say why you didn't like the iPad mini? I've got a 4 LTE on order but I'm going back to the Apple Store to check out the mini again.
jazz1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 03:28 PM   #14
schulzmc
macrumors regular

To my surprise I haven't used it at all. The mini may replace it in my bag...
schulzmc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:37 PM   #15
Farplaner
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSMac View Post
The mini is an excitIng device used it for last day, but I finding the small fonts not as easy to read as the full size, it was a pleasure to fire up the retina again.
I had a habit of holding the iPad in portrait mode when surfing the web. But because of the small fonts I found myself holding the iPad in landscape to make the fonts larger.
Farplaner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:43 PM   #16
GeekLawyer
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
Agreed. If I use my iPad while in bed surfing...I would use the mini the same
That's my thinking. I use my iPad to read, surf, and light Netflix and light productivity. I can't imagine using an iPad mini differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisemaker View Post
Two different form factors = two different ways to use. You're going to find different uses for a 1/2lb tablet and a 1.5lb tablet.

Full sized iPad gets the heavy duty apps and games, while the mini gets the lightweight stuff and works as my streaming/mobile device.

It's also why I went with 64GB on the full size, and a 16GB on the Mini.

Comparing them to two different sized notebooks isn't really fair - the usage on both is the same for the notebooks, while the usage on the two iPads is greatly different.
I've spent some time with a mini. To me, the usage is the same as an iPad. So the comparison with notebooks seems apt. But I appreciate your response.
GeekLawyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:04 PM   #17
Noisemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekLawyer View Post
That's my thinking. I use my iPad to read, surf, and light Netflix and light productivity. I can't imagine using an iPad mini differently.

I've spent some time with a mini. To me, the usage is the same as an iPad. So the comparison with notebooks seems apt. But I appreciate your response.
For me, I do a mix of the same, as well as more intensive work - recording in Garageband, iMovie, tons of writing in Pages, and a good bit of gaming. The iPad mini works as my light-weight device, while the full size takes on the bigger tasks.

Because I have two different sets of uses, it works. I could totally see that not being the case for everyone though.
Noisemaker is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 07:59 PM   #18
Headlighted
macrumors member

I have not, and likely never will. I didn't use it in the first place, it was too uncomfortable for me to use for long periods of time. My iPhone was what got all the use, and it's only been used while I was out of the house today and yesterday.
Headlighted is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:43 PM   #19
goldbear86
macrumors newbie

I have the iPad 3. Been given the mini as a gift. Love the weight of it and fact that I know if I want to pop it in my handbag I can. The quality of the screen does really show sat next to a iPad 3 or later. I'm not sure I will keep it. That said I'm not sure if Apple would accept the return just because I'm not totally satisfied.
goldbear86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:45 PM   #20
GeekLawyer
macrumors Demi-God

So long as you return it within the return period in good condition, Apple will allow the return.
GeekLawyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:48 PM   #21
goldbear86
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekLawyer View Post
So long as you return it within the return period in good condition, Apple will allow the return.
Even if its been bought in store? It's not even a day old. I just feel like I'm trying hard to like it. Maybe I can get used to it. I feel bad as it was a gift.
goldbear86 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 07:54 PM   #22
Zetaprime
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldbear86 View Post
Even if its been bought in store? It's not even a day old. I just feel like I'm trying hard to like it. Maybe I can get used to it. I feel bad as it was a gift.
Apple has what is referred to as a "Buyer's Remorse" policy which allows you to return an item within a 2 week period if for any reason you are not satisfied with it or just plain changed your mind.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by freyrrr View Post
I have been using the mini since the launch day. I love the light weight and small size, but the screen just hurts my eyes (lower resolution + smaller font size). So I am going back to iPad 3, and going to return the mini.
I know what you mean about the eyes. I'm 60 years old and reading can be hard enough on the eyes without making the text even smaller. No thanks.
Zetaprime is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:48 PM   #23
silverblack
macrumors 65816

I have even used my iPhone 5 a lot less in the last 1 to 2 days since I got my mini. My iPad 3? It'll get a lot of use by my kids soon. Win-win situation for everyone.
silverblack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:06 PM   #24
freyrrr
macrumors member

I have been using the mini since the launch day. I love the light weight and small size, but the screen just hurts my eyes (lower resolution + smaller font size). So I am going back to iPad 3, and going to return the mini.
freyrrr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:07 PM   #25
Noisemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverblack View Post
I have even used my iPhone 5 a lot less in the last 1 to 2 days since I got my mini. My iPad 3? It'll get a lot of use by my kids soon. Win-win situation for everyone.
This I totally agree with. My iPhone has only seen use for texting and calls. Even iMessaging has been done from the Mini.
Noisemaker is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad