Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qbert2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2012
Hi was wondering if there was useful website or tutorial on how to keyframe the effects selection in after effects? I'm new to After Effects and my teacher is giving me a hard time do doing my assignment compared to final cut teacher from last semester. I do have a good amount experience with final cut. I just want to keyframe the effects with my images or objects. Reason is when I select a certain effect I want to position it in multiple on and off points. instead of the whole sequence with an effect from beginning to end. Searching through google and youtube for using effects in after effects doesn't give me the help that I need. My teacher says effects are keyframeable, but I tell him how is that done, doesn't really help. Does "effects" menu mean presets because I hate saying effects twice, getting the wrong searching results. Effect's effect

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Hi was wondering if there was useful website or tutorial on how to keyframe the effects selection in after effects? I'm new to After Effects and my teacher is giving me a hard time do doing my assignment compared to final cut teacher from last semester. I do have a good amount experience with final cut. I just want to keyframe the effects with my images or objects. Reason is when I select a certain effect I want to position it in multiple on and off points. instead of the whole sequence with an effect from beginning to end. Searching through google and youtube for using effects in after effects doesn't give me the help that I need. My teacher says effects are keyframeable, but I tell him how is that done, doesn't really help. Does "effects" menu mean presets because I hate saying effects twice, getting the wrong searching results. Effect's effect

The answer to my thread might help you as I was having issues keyframing effects too:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1466960/

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
If you mean a layer with the Effect on it then add multiple layers (copy of same layer below) above with no Effect?
Then you want it to strobe like as in:

Effect Layer for a few frames then No Effects for a few frames then repeat over and over?

There are other ways using two keyframes such as Linear and Hold keyframes but that might confuse you more.

qbert2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2012
If you mean a layer with the Effect on it then add multiple layers (copy of same layer below) above with no Effect?
Then you want it to strobe like as in:

Effect Layer for a few frames then No Effects for a few frames then repeat over and over?

Yes, that is what I wanted to say. thanks for the link and details.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.