Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Always amazed when people press the bid button with no market value research.

Achilles75

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
Yes, that's a fair deal, if the iPad 3 is in good condition.

I just won an iPad on eBay and am curious to if you guys think it was a fair deal.

I paid $405 shipped for a 16Gb WiFi only 3rd gen.

Ad stated "Like new condition with box everything it came with"
He's also giving me a grey Smartcover and an I-Biason back cover. Assuming its condition is as described, do you think this price is fair?

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Yes and no. They are about $410 after tax so about what I paid. However, the refurb store is sold out and I needed one by next weekend.

What you do get when buying a refurb from Apple is a new battery, new outer case and a full 1 year warranty and they extensively test it for any hardware related issues. They will repair it if it fails any tests. I don't know if that's worth it to you but it is to me.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
I guess it's a decent deal, considering it comes with the extras, but it does seem a bit overpriced when compared to the refurbished costing $379 and comes with a new battery, casing, and 1 year warranty.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
I guess it's a decent deal, considering it comes with the extras, but it does seem a bit overpriced when compared to the refurbished costing $379 and comes with a new battery, casing, and 1 year warranty.

I agree, if the refurb would of been in stock, I would of bought it. I've been checking constantly for the past few days. I know about 3 days ago the white model was in stock, but I wanted black. As I said I needed one by this coming weekend and my thinking behind it was; it's the same price as the refurb in like new condition but I needed a case and smart cover anyway. So it saved me $60 -$70 in expense.

Last edited:

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
I agree, if the refurb would of been in stock, I would of bought it. I've been checking constantly for the past few days. I know about 3 days ago the white model was in stock, but I wanted black. As I said I needed one by this coming weekend and my thinking behind it was; it's the same price as the refurb in like new condition but I needed a case and smart cover anyway. So it saved me $60 -$70 in expense.

If the condition really is like new then you have nothing to be unhappy about because you still got a pretty good deal, and avoided paying taxes.

children

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
Just spend 100 more and get a new one with full warranty and 100% peace of mind, or wait for a refurb. Here in Australia some retailers are selling the ipad 3 with significant discounts to clear stock, I'm sure you can find them or negotiate for them.

Apple second hand value IMO is unjustified, and people like me abuse it. Don't be a sucker, be the abuser ;)

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
Always amazed by how rude people can be.

People's rudeness no longer surprises me. If you shopped around you probably could have gotten the same deal for around $360. But it's still good considering you would have spent about $600 for those items 30 days ago.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC

What's so rude about wondering why people would bid on something without knowing the going price? Maybe you don't want to hear that you could have researched the going rate (quite easily, by searching completed auctions), but your lack of knowledge/denial of the correct way to bid does not equate my rudeness. Sorry pal.

The culture of knee jerk outrage continues unabated.

Noisemaker

Mar 13, 2009

He's right. A quick search of completed auctions would have answered your question. Instead, you clicked "bid" without research, then came here to get a pat on the back and someone to tell you that it'll be ok.

iLukeJoseph

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Don't know why people are saying this deal is good or even ok. Why on earth would someone not pay $100.00 more for a brand new Updated one. I would say good deal if it was used 4th gen.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
Don't know why people are saying this deal is good or even ok. Why on earth would someone not pay $100.00 more for a brand new Updated one. I would say good deal if it was used 4th gen.
$150 and because I don't think the minimal upgrades of the 4th gen are worth an extra $150.

faiz23

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
Target has 5% off with target debit red card which anyone can sign up for with a check from their bank account. You will get $40 target gift card along with a 90 day return policy and 1 year warranty. This is for the ipad 4th gen with Faster processor, lightning cable with 12 w adapter so it charges faster, and your resale value will be and added bonus. If you know any friends or family who work at target they get an extra 5% off and then you get 5% off with pharmacy rewards that was sent out earlier. You can effectively get 15% off the price of new and a $40 gift card on top. So no the price difference is not $150 :rolleyes:

https://slickdeals.net/deals/tech/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.