Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
I apologize in advance if these seem like basic questions to seasoned ipad users, but I have never owned a tablet before. Hi, I am considering buying an ipad to assist me with something I do on the side (private tutoring), and I was wondering if this kind of app existed, but I'm not sure what it would be called (which is why it would be quite difficult just searching for it blindly...). I am hoping that someone who is familiar with such an app can help me out here.

This is what I want the app to do:
-Be able to schedule and keep track of appointments.

-Have the ability to "sign in", that is, once I start an appointment with a client, a timer keeps track of how much time has elapsed so I can charge them appropriately. Being able to pause and resume this would be helpful.

-Bonus: Be able to create and maintain a database of clients to review.

-Bonus 2: This is completely unnecessary, but it would be nifty if they could generate invoices too showing the amount of time elapsed and the rate that is being charged.

In theory, I can do this through a variety of apps working together (for example, contacts + ical + a stopwatch app), but if I could do this all within a single app, that would be quite convenient. Thanks in advance to anyone who is able to assist me!

Bonus 3: While I'm at it, does the ipad have a pdf reader app? I did not see a lot of relevant materials while browsing through the ibook store for the subject that I teach, but I may be able to acquire a pdf copy of it. Having it on the ipad as a reference instead of carrying these heavy and thick books would be quite...nice...

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
I apologize in advance if these seem like basic questions to seasoned ipad users, but I have never owned a tablet before. Hi, I am considering buying an ipad to assist me with something I do on the side (private tutoring), and I was wondering if this kind of app existed, but I'm not sure what it would be called (which is why it would be quite difficult just searching for it blindly...). I am hoping that someone who is familiar with such an app can help me out here.

This is what I want the app to do:
-Be able to schedule and keep track of appointments.

-Have the ability to "sign in", that is, once I start an appointment with a client, a timer keeps track of how much time has elapsed so I can charge them appropriately. Being able to pause and resume this would be helpful.

-Bonus: Be able to create and maintain a database of clients to review.

-Bonus 2: This is completely unnecessary, but it would be nifty if they could generate invoices too showing the amount of time elapsed and the rate that is being charged.

In theory, I can do this through a variety of apps working together (for example, contacts + ical + a stopwatch app), but if I could do this all within a single app, that would be quite convenient. Thanks in advance to anyone who is able to assist me!

Bonus 3: While I'm at it, does the ipad have a pdf reader app? I did not see a lot of relevant materials while browsing through the ibook store for the subject that I teach, but I may be able to acquire a pdf copy of it. Having it on the ipad as a reference instead of carrying these heavy and thick books would be quite...nice...

iBooks reads PDF

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Thanks Derek! I had my suspicions of that, but I just wanted to make sure.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
Not sure which app you'd use for those requirements. Update us if you find one, because it's a good concept.

For reading pdfs, my favorite app is iAnnotate. I've written about how I use it here. GoodReader and PDF Expert are very good alternatives.

xiasx

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
Re

hi hkim1983

Have you seen Freshbooks ? This is a site with a mobile version/app for iphone & ipad, you sign up, it's cloud-based time-tracking and invoicing - I am pretty sure it does almost everything you have mentioned except perhaps the schedule, but it may do this or have an add-on app partner that it works with.

I currently use the desktop version but haven't had chance to try the iOS version yet. It seems very well-supported and developed with real people you can call if there's a problem !

Worth nothing also that it is always free for up to 3 clients (multiple billings, projects assignable to these 3 clients). The 'free trial' advertised is for limitless clients; after the 30-day trial if you have more than 3 clients you have to use the paid service, or continue for free for as long as you want with the limit of 3 clients.

The app itself is free. Hope this is of help.

http://www.freshbooks.com/iphone/
FreshBooks for iPhone and iPad is built for business owners to get organized and get paid. Track time at a coffee shop, log an expense from a cab, or send an invoice right from your client's office.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Search under "Time Tracker" or "Timesheet". Add the term "Invoice" to narrow your search. After looking at a few myself, it looks like a good rule of thumb is: If the app is free, there's probably a website/PC side that you need where they charge the money.

Regards,
Tom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.