Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MicroByte

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I'm in love with the mini and would love to get one. I recently bought a new iPod touch 5g prior to the mini announcement and would have waited had I known about it.

At this point, I thought about returning my iPod and seeing if I could exchange it for a mini. The problem is that I bought the iPod on October 10th so it's outside of the 14 day return timeframe. Has anyone been able to return a product outside of the 14 days before? Would maybe explaining that I would have bought the mini had I known about it help? Any suggestions on what I could say or do?

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Your best bet is to ask Apple outright. If they will not accept such an exchange, then you could always sell your touch 5.

Must say that since you've been an active member here since 2008, it's hard to believe you had no idea a mini could be on the horizon.

MicroByte

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I knew the rumors were saying the it was coming, but I wanted the new iPod more at that time. Since messing with it on Friday, I've thought a lot about it and think it would fit better for me now. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask, the worst they could say is no.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
One thing I love about Apple is the customer service. I would definitely ask because they are always great at taking care of people.

MicroByte

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing, and I really do love my iPod as well, but in the end, I love the larger screen and the fact that the specs line up pretty close to the iPod Touch 5G overall.

The battery life is what does it for me. The iPod lasts a long time, but the iPad Mini is just over the top in terms of battery life. Plus I'm getting a little older and smaller screens/devices aren't as appealing as something larger.

Thanks for everyone's response. As I mentioned, I'm going to at least pose the question, it couldn't hurt. Just wondering if I should ask for the store manager right off the bat since they would have more authority to making the decision rather than a sales person who probably has to stick to the policy 100% of the time.

MicroByte

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
As an update, I was able to return my iPod Touch without any issues, I didn't even have to turn on any sad puppy dog eyes.

They did not have any Mini's available so I will pick one up as soon as I can get my hands on one.

deaglecat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
One thing I love about Apple is the customer service. I would definitely ask because they are always great at taking care of people.

Well historically, I would agree with you. But recently I have had 2 problems with apple CS ... yeah, sure not a statistically relevant sample size... but they have certainly gone down in my estimations.

OP: good to hear that they resolved it for you.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
Well historically, I would agree with you. But recently I have had 2 problems with apple CS ... yeah, sure not a statistically relevant sample size... but they have certainly gone down in my estimations

That's too bad, I just had a great experience yesterday returning a gift I didn't even have a receipt for. But I guess it's always going to depend on who you talk to. One employee can be great, another can be terrible.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
As an update, I was able to return my iPod Touch without any issues, I didn't even have to turn on any sad puppy dog eyes.

They did not have any Mini's available so I will pick one up as soon as I can get my hands on one.

Customer service. Its a beautiful thing.

MicroByte

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Customer service. Its a beautiful thing.

Yes, and that's one of the reasons I can justify buying an Apple product, they have always taken care of me in the past. Even now, they could have told me too bad, it's policy, but they didn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.