Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that it has sold a total of three million iPads since the launch of the iPad mini and fourth-generation iPad on Friday. The number was not broken down into separate counts of iPad and iPad mini sales.
Apple today announced it has sold three million iPads in just three days since the launch of its new iPad mini and fourth generation iPad--double the previous first weekend milestone of 1.5 million Wi-Fi only models sold for the third generation iPad in March. The Wi-Fi + Cellular versions of both iPad mini and fourth generation iPad will ship in a few weeks in the US and in many more countries later this year.

"Customers around the world love the new iPad mini and fourth generation iPad," said Tim Cook, Apple's CEO. "We set a new launch weekend record and practically sold out of iPad minis. We're working hard to build more quickly to meet the incredible demand."
ipad_mini_ipad_4.jpg

Topeka Capital Markets analyst Brian White has also released a new research report indicating that the iPad mini was completely sold out at 60% of surveyed U.S. Apple retail stores this weekend, with 16 GB models in both colors sold out at 100% of surveyed stores.
Of those stores that still had some iPad mini stock available, the 16GB in Black & Slate and White & Silver were 100% sold out, while 90% of the 32GB in Black & Slate were sold out and 76% of the White & Silver 32GB were sold out. Finally, only 14% of the 64GB of the Black & Slate were sold out at those stores with stock available and just 10% for the 64GB White & Silver.
White survey of New York City launch weekend customers found that white and black models were roughly equally popular, while 53% of customers opted for 16 GB models.

Article Link: Apple Sells Three Million iPads and iPad Minis in Opening Weekend

abhishake

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2005
This happens with every device they come out with...

1st iMac: "Under-powered"
1st iPod: "Overpriced"
1st iPhone: "There's no physical keyboard?"

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
Hmmmm I really wish they would have broken it down between mini and full size. I would say though based on my visit to an Apple store on Saturday which was jam packed that its probably a 70% mini and 30% full size split.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Boom.

I fully expected them to refuse to break down the numbers. They don't do it with iPhone, I don't expect it with mini. Still selling twice as many WiFi models as they did in March is really good -- especially with only a minor upgrade. My guess is that most of those sales were mini's. But iPad 4 is probably not doing bad.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
3 million of anything is nothing to sneeze at, but their unwillingness to share iPad mini numbers is curious. As is Tim Cook's pronouncement that they "practically" sold out of iPad minis.

SeniorGato1

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Apple doesn't state the breakdown in order not to upset their shareholders even further. Most of these sales were probably the mini, which has less profit margin and cannibalizes sales of the more profitable retina version.

movie-mac

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2011
Hmmmm I really wish they would have broken it down between mini and full size.

They will never do that, ever. Just like they don't break down iPod, iPhone or laptop sales by model. It will always just be XX million iPads sold.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
3 millions sold, that's two models combined...pretty horrible compared to the other apple product releases

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
why would you want the competition to fail, so apple can slack?

I agree...some people just don't see the big picture.

Hell, if I was in the market for a tablet, the Surface would be my top choice. I still don't get the fact that on the iPad, I can't have a Netflix video playing while replying to iMessages (two apps open on the same screen). The Surface can do that but the iPad is stuck in this 1980s "One App At A Time" idea. Other examples:

• Having Safari open, with iTunes playlist docked to the side.
  • Pinning a Calculator to the side of Any app for easy calculations

I hope Surface/Nexus' catch on so that Apple can truly innovate!

Last edited:

elvetio

macrumors member
May 29, 2012

so this means that the number of ipad minis sold was below what they expected...

jon1987

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
I guess we will all need to wait untill the next product launch for apple to "fail" or be "doomed" #

akbarali.ch

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2011
Mumbai (India)
I guess we will all need to wait untill the next product launch for apple to "fail" or be "doomed" #

ok, lets start then. The next iphone will doom Apple!... fast forward to future and they have sold 8 Million iphone 5S in the opening weekend...and it goes on.......

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Particularly impressive seeing as how only the wi-fi models are available at this time. Anyone that doesn't find 3 million sold in 3 days as a total success either simply has their head buried in the sand and/or hates Apple.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
3 million of anything is nothing to sneeze at, but their unwillingness to share iPad mini numbers is curious. As is Tim Cook's pronouncement that they "practically" sold out of iPad minis.

That's because they didn't sell out. One could walk into their local Apple Store yesterday and readily buy a mini.

blilly

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2005

True, but I bought one for our studio to see how our websites and apps feel on it ... and after this weekend it's hard to go back to the regular iPad! I found the mini was as-good-or-better in most every instance.

It's a joy to hold for casual reading and browsing, and I found the Siri implementation a huge advantage over to my iPad 2 ... love it for quick reminders and dictating long emails. (That's my favorite use of voice recognition).

Anyway, consider me a surprised Mini fan ... and the device itself is gorgeous in person.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.