Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:00 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Google Employees Suggest Apple Approval of Google Maps App 'Unlikely'

In the wake of Apple's move to replace the Google-powered Maps app with its own app in iOS 6, Google has been reported by numerous sources to be working on a standalone version of its service to be submitted to the App Store.

But while Apple has been willing to advertise a number of alternative mapping solutions while it works to improve its own Maps app, The Guardian reports that sources within Google believe it is "unlikely" Apple will approve Google's app for inclusion in the App Store.
Quote:
Sources at Google familiar with its mapping plans say they are "not optimistic" that Apple will ever approve a dedicated Google Maps iOS app. Though the app is reportedly in development and should be ready to ship by the end of the year, the sources say their plans are only proceeding in "the unlikely event" that Apple will choose to approve the app.
According to sources within Google, who appear to be split as to whether the departure of iOS chief Scott Forstall will improve Google's chances, there is little evidence that Apple is interested in embracing Google-based mapping solutions.
Quote:
Specifically, they point to the lack of any mapping app in the "Find maps for your iPhone" section of the App Store - accessible only via iPhones or iPads - that use the Google Maps APIs to call wirelessly for location, routing or point-of-interest (POI) data. [...]

Apps such as the free Maps+ app, which uses Google Places APIs and Google Maps tiles to bring Google Maps back to the iPhone, and the £3 app Quick Route, which mashes Google's directions and locations database with Apple's Maps tiles, are noticeably absent from it, even though a Google source says they are the two apps that would give back many of the capabilities lost with the advent of Apple's Maps in iOS 6.
The Google sources reportedly believe that these omissions are deliberate in order to minimize the visibility of Google-based mapping apps, although Apple CEO Tim Cook did mention the web-based version of Google Maps as an alternative in his open letter addressing the Maps issue.

Article Link: Google Employees Suggest Apple Approval of Google Maps App 'Unlikely'
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:02 AM   #2
daneoni
macrumors G4

Freaking pessimists
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:06 AM   #3
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
Freaking pessimists
Did Google Voice ever leave "in approbation" limbo ?

Was there for months, and we never really heard about it again (I'm still waiting for the official Canadian release of the service though, thanks CRTC !).
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:08 AM   #4
dashiel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post

Was there for months, and we never really heard about it again (I'm still waiting for the official Canadian release of the service though, thanks CRTC !).
What are you on about? I use it daily.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/goog...318698524?mt=8
dashiel is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:10 AM   #5
impulse462
macrumors 65816

That's what we need...less choice.

I can understand Apple wanting to remove Google from the iPhone in favor of their own mapping solution, but the way they are going about it is how a 5 year old child would.

Personally, I have yet to have any problems with Apple Maps, but since so many people are having issues, Apple should have prepared (which Tim Cook is famous for doing) and had Maps ready to go at launch. Only then would this child-like behavior "seem" warranted, but right now it's just pathetic.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:11 AM   #6
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

Wow. Google Employees must be really dumb. Apple WILL approve Google maps....
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:11 AM   #7
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Then they should just remove all the other Maps apps.
gmanist1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:11 AM   #8
NachoGrande
macrumors 6502

Imagine if it has turn-by-turn directions. That would be an huge slap in the face of Apple
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:26 AM   #9
yakapo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by impulse462 View Post

I can understand Apple wanting to remove Google from the iPhone in favor of their own mapping solution, but the way they are going about it is how a 5 year old child would.

Personally, I have yet to have any problems with Apple Maps, but since so many people are having issues, Apple should have prepared (which Tim Cook is famous for doing) and had Maps ready to go at launch. Only then would this child-like behavior "seem" warranted, but right now it's just pathetic.
"choice" is bad to Steve Jobs. Remember he said tablets smaller than the ipad should come with sand paper to file your fingers down.

My wife hates apple maps, but I was more frustrated by the removal of the youtube app. Unfortunately, I bought my ipad 3 used and it came with ios 6 on it. So now I'm eagerly awaiting a ios6 jailbreak.
yakapo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:04 PM   #10
hardax
macrumors regular

Quote:

Everything Apple does lately seems like something a spoiled child would do.
hardax is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:18 PM   #11
KdParker
macrumors 68020

Quote:

I still think that if google comes up with a maps app that they will be approved.
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:13 AM   #12
scottwaugh
macrumors regular

We'll just have to wait and see, but I'd bet Apple approves it.

There's too much PR visibility on this issue to not do it and have it turn into a brand damaging PR mess (again) - and the other side of it is Apple has little to loose doing so...Apple's App is good (where it works) and will only get better and is also wired into the OS for use by other Apps no matter whether a user picks the Google Map App or not.
scottwaugh is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:42 AM   #13
John.B
macrumors 68040

Quote:
The Google Voice app for the iPhone has been out for two years now.

itunes.apple.com/us/app/google-voice/id318698524

Sadly, Google's most recent update seems to have screwed up a lot of working stuff for people in the process.

Quote:
Looks like it's US only? Even the Android version says that it is "currently only available in the US".

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.googlevoice&hl=en

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Last edited by John.B; Nov 5, 2012 at 11:49 AM.
John.B is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:47 AM   #14
Archer1440
macrumors 6502

Google has obviously weighed the benefit of having their app on an iOS device against their vested interest in having something that gives Android an edge.

Why would Google have a big-picture Interest in enhancing the experience for iOS users?

In the long run they would be better off keeping their edge for droid users. This is simply an excuse for a cold corporate decision.

Well played, google, well played.
Archer1440 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:49 AM   #15
cmichaelb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Google Voice native app released- 16NOV2010

2 years ago....

Last edited by cmichaelb; Nov 5, 2012 at 11:49 AM. Reason: spelling....
cmichaelb is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:51 AM   #16
MattMJB0188
macrumors 65816

If you all want Google Maps then why not switch to an Android smartphone? Seriously?
MattMJB0188 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:57 AM   #17
The Phazer
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
If you all want Google Maps then why not switch to an Android smartphone? Seriously?
Lack of good Android hardware, significant money spent on iOS apps, contract terms?
The Phazer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:58 AM   #18
yargk
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
I will.
yargk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:56 PM   #19
JohnDoe98
macrumors 68020

Quote:

While the CRTC sucks, the Canadian release of the service is being restricted in part by Google themselves. Google doesn't want to build in e911 into their service. Dell Voice, which is similar to Google Voice but not nearly as good, works in Canada and isn't blocked by the CRTC precisely because they register your number with e911 services. It doesn't seem to me to involve too much so I don't see why Google just wouldn't comply with the terms. But whatever. Hopefully at some point in the future Google Voice will exist in Canada. In the mean time there is always Dell Voice which is good enough for me (I don't need to own a home phone or cell plan, data only is the way to go).
JohnDoe98 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:21 AM   #20
drblank
macrumors regular

Quote:
Freaking pessimists

If their Maps app doesn't have Malware, then they have to submit to find out. Apple has other Google apps on the Apple App Store, so why not?

What's Google afraid of? That it might have Malware or some code that Apple doesn't want them getting access to like personal information?

I think Google is trying to get our sympathy. Pathetic attempt at it since I didn't buy their little plea of sympathy. Freaking children and their little games they play.
drblank is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:18 PM   #21
hot spare
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
If their Maps app doesn't have Malware, then they have to submit to find out. Apple has other Google apps on the Apple App Store, so why not?

What's Google afraid of? That it might have Malware or some code that Apple doesn't want them getting access to like personal information?

I think Google is trying to get our sympathy. Pathetic attempt at it since I didn't buy their little plea of sympathy. Freaking children and their little games they play.
Get some fresh air.
hot spare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:48 AM   #22
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
Freaking pessimists
well look at the mess with google voice and getting that approved. It magically got approved when Apple was being investigated by the FTC. My guess because Apple knew they would be screwed if it was allowed to go completely threw. I would not be surprised to see it happen again with Google maps.

On things Apple knows it sucks at and can not really complete at they cheat to block the better alternatives.
Rodimus Prime is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:03 AM   #23
penajmz
macrumors 6502a

If that's the case then Apple Maps better step up.

Last edited by penajmz; Nov 5, 2012 at 11:57 AM.
penajmz is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:23 PM   #24
KdParker
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by penajmz View Post
If that's the case then Apple Maps better step up.
I think apple maps is stepping up at least in the US.

We will have to see where they end up in the next 5 - 6 months with the overseas market which seems to need the most improvement.
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:03 AM   #25
Tech198
macrumors 68040

Bet that will cheeze people off.

Yay.. First post

Oh dam.. Too late.. (Need to type faster)

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion