Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:01 PM   #1
WilliamG
macrumors 601

I believe the iPad 4 has a serious display flaw.

So I've tested this and repeated it on two different iPad 4s from two different Apple Stores.

Here is the issue:

I use Plex and Air Video to stream video from my home server. Nothing too strange about that. I also watch trailers in Safari. Nothing too strange about that, either.

However, I've noticed that during videos where there are dark scenes, the iPad 4 contrast is constantly "pumping" itself up, and then dimming back down. It's unbelievably distracting. Even stranger, if the contrast pumps itself up and at that point you close the app/Safari, the entire home screen looks completely over-saturated until it, too, gradually brings its contrast level back down.

I know I'm probably not doing a great job describing this. This also happens when viewing videos in Safari.

Test for yourself!

e.g. if you go to this website on your iPad 4 to view The Dark Knight Rises trailer...

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/w...rkknightrises/

Tap on Trailer 4:

At 13 seconds into the trailer...

Here is a screenshot of where it happens most noticeably.

Thumb resize.

Test Method:

The EASIEST way for you guys/girls to test this to simply PAUSE the video at 13 seconds, (make sure the video is FULL SCREEN and that the controls are HIDDEN) and simply watch your contrast change after 3-5 seconds. When the contrast changes, you can hit the Home button and now look at your messed up icons! After a few seconds, your Home screen icons will go back to normal (the FaceTime icon especially looks terrible until then). Make sure the video is full-screen!

I'm not sure what's going on here, but it literally makes it impossible to watch movies with dark scenes on the new iPad 4. The contrast switching is incredibly distracting, and an issue simply not present on the iPad 3.

I'm now heading back to the Apple Store with this second iPad. Is this something Apple can fix? I'm not sure. There's some very aggressive contrast management going on here it appears. But it doesn't work.

Call me a sad panda.

*edit*

Easiest method for testing is max backlight in a dimly-lit room. It's easy to see the contrast changing this way.

Here is an EXPOSURE-LOCKED video from my iPhone 5 showing the contrast pumping. This happens ALL the time when watching a video with dark scenes.

CLICK THE BELOW IMAGES TO WATCH THE VIDEOS:

And here's the byproduct of closing a video when the screen is black. Again the exposure is LOCKED. You can see how the contrast is all blown out until it calms back down. This below video is NOT a major complaint, but is happening due to the issue above.

CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO WATCH THE VIDEO:

EXAMPLES FROM OTHER iPad 4 users:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...&postcount=377

Will add to this list above as I get more people uploading videos.

*EDIT*

List of apps this "bug" affects:

1.) Safari browse
2.) Apple's Videos app
3.) Plex
4.) Air Video

List of apps that do not experience this "bug":

1.) AVPlayer HD
2.) Netflix
3.) It's Playing

Last edited by WilliamG; Mar 5, 2013 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Please use [timg] tags for large images.
WilliamG is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:05 PM   #2
Dlanod
macrumors 6502a

Tried it with mine and its fine.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:17 PM   #3
KeepCalmPeople
macrumors 6502a

Tried it with mine too, in a dark room. Nothing happened (cool trailer though). Demonstrate it to an Apple genius at the store.
KeepCalmPeople is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:26 PM   #4
WilliamG
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepCalmPeople View Post
Tried it with mine too, in a dark room. Nothing happened (cool trailer though). Demonstrate it to an Apple genius at the store.
About to do so. Will also see if I can replicate on their display models.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:59 PM   #5
WilliamG
macrumors 601

Ok I just replicated the issue on 5 iPads in the Apple Store. I returned my iPad 4 to the store. I'll upload a video shortly of the issue.

As far as I'm concerned this affects every iPad 4. Even the staff couldn't believe it.

I tried it on an iPad 2 here and could not replicate it.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:09 PM   #6
Eadfrith
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

As far as I'm concerned this affects every iPad 4.
Well only yours apparently.
Eadfrith is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:37 PM   #7
Noisemaker

Quote:
Ok I just replicated the issue on 5 iPads in the Apple Store. I returned my iPad 4 to the store. I'll upload a video shortly of the issue.

As far as I'm concerned this affects every iPad 4. Even the staff couldn't believe it.

As far as I'm concerned, you're 100% wrong, and you're making an asinine blanket statement.

Mine is fine. I can't recreate the claimed issue.
Noisemaker is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 03:22 AM   #8
HowardSmith
Banned

Quote:

Sorry put I do not see it. Either you are abnormally sensitive or . . . .

If it were iPad 4 problem it would be all over this site. I just do not see it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
I followed the OP's instructions carefully. Much to my surprise I can duplicate the issue exactly as described. It's quite fascinating. The ease with which I can duplicate this makes it very predictable. I'm going to have to give this some thought.
Quote:
I followed the OP's instructions carefully. Much to my surprise I can duplicate the issue exactly as described. It's quite fascinating. The ease with which I can duplicate this makes it very predictable. I'm going to have to give this some thought.
Quote:
We await all THREE of your opinions!
HowardSmith is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:58 PM   #9
DarwinOSX
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlanod View Post
Mine is fine too. A friend of mine edits video for major Hollywood studios and doesn't see it on mine or his.

Last edited by DarwinOSX; Nov 17, 2012 at 09:03 PM.
DarwinOSX is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:33 PM   #10
edwrap
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinOSX View Post
Mine is fine too. A friend of mine edits video for major Hollywood studios and doesn't see it on mine or his.
Did you make sure it was fullscreen and with the interface hidden? The interface doesn't auto-hide if you pause the video, and the effect doesn't trigger with the interface still showing. Maybe the instructions in the first post are just too easy to mess up. Play this video.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/75js012p6ekwsfc/test.mp4

Both times I posted it, people who could not previously see the effect could (well, the second time the post was deleted so that's what I'm assuming happened). Fullscreen, play the video a few seconds, back out to homescreen.
edwrap is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:11 PM   #11
ixodes
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlanod View Post
While mine's fine too, Apple has a quality control issue, not a display issue.

It's due to Apple's addiction to squeezing out every penny of profit. Not content to set record breaking profits... they want more.

Willing to sacrifice the quality they once stood for, now nothing but bleeding every penny out of every transaction Apple will stop at nothing.

Sad but true.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:20 PM   #12
baypharm
macrumors 6502a

Well I don't believe the new iPad is optimized to watch HD videos. I know the previous models were not. I watched some HD footage and was disappointed. The new Amazon HD Fire 8.9" tablet coming later this month will be the one to watch in my opinion.
baypharm is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:40 PM   #13
iapplelove
Banned

Don't even have to watch the trailer to know what your talking about. Noticed this since the iPad 3
iapplelove is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:42 PM   #14
zhenya
macrumors 68020

I can see what you are saying about the icons when I follow your instructions, but I can't see anything negative in the actual playback of movies. I think the icon thing is just a screen adjustment as previously stated.
zhenya is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:46 PM   #15
canesalato
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhenya View Post
I can see what you are saying about the icons when I follow your instructions, but I can't see anything negative in the actual playback of movies. I think the icon thing is just a screen adjustment as previously stated.
It may be, the problem is that is continuing to change as you watch some movies, and depending on the movie it can be very visible and distracting. It could be a software issue, but then why do I have it on my new 4 but not on the 3?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
LoL at this one!

So I get from this thread....IF you do this exact thing in this exact situation this happens..... is that it?
It's just a way to make it more visible. When you have to show a problem you try to make it more visible, so that you don't waste people time and you can find a solution faster. That doesn't mean that the problem happens only in that situation. In my case it happens quite often while watching movies during dark scenes
canesalato is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:47 PM   #16
teknikal90
macrumors 65816

Can't replicate it.
Ipad 4 here, thank goodness. Do not want to go through the return process lol

Edit: holy crap I can replicate it. You have to watch in HD. It's a software issue to me....

Edit 2: can only replicate it once out the 5 times I tried it. Software issue.

Last edited by teknikal90; Nov 5, 2012 at 07:53 PM.
teknikal90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:26 PM   #17
spiralynth
macrumors regular

I can replicate this on my iPad 4 and my iPhone 5 both on the HD and non-HD trailer per the op. However, I cannot replicate it after multiple tries on neither my iPad 1 nor iPhone 3GS.

Not sure how much it concerns me right now.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:42 PM   #18
canesalato
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iapplelove View Post
Don't even have to watch the trailer to know what your talking about. Noticed this since the iPad 3
Ok, since my iPad try doesn't do this and my iPad 4 does, i'm starting to think that it may depends on the display manufacturer
canesalato is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 06:17 AM   #19
Mr.damien

Quote:
I believe the iPad 4 has a serious display flaw.
That's not possible. We all know that the iPad 4 screen is the best and that the iPad mini's one just suck.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:54 AM   #20
syd430

This is in all likelihood related to power management within iOS.

There is an old thread on notebookreview.com about the exact same behavior on certain vaio Z laptops.

The issue was traced back directly to Intel's power management driver. Disabling the driver eliminated the issue completely.

My laptop would experience the exact same high contrast/washed out effect and then taking several seconds to gradually return to normal as in the video posted.

If anyone wants to read that thread I can try and dig it up again.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:19 AM   #21
StevenB14
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post

There is an old thread on notebookreview.com about the exact same behavior on certain vaio Z laptops.

The issue was traced back directly to Intel's power management driver. Disabling the driver eliminated the issue completely.

My laptop would experience the exact same high contrast/washed out effect and then taking several seconds to gradually return to normal as in the video posted.

Taking this and what else I have read about it I highly doubt that it is a fault and more so just the behavior of the iPad's display/back light.
StevenB14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:52 AM   #22
Mbman81
macrumors member

It is not seem like a backlight issue, but more like a contrast issue. That's why things look blown out and not just brighter/dimmer. The dynamic contrast, which does make dark scenes in movies look better, is not disabling quickly in some instances like it should.

If you carefully watch the dark scene of the video you paused on after you tap to remove volume/seek bars, you will see the image slightly sharpen / colors crisp as the dynamic contrast locks in for the scene. That is it enabling.

Note that the ipad mini doesn't do this in my testing - it does not sharpen / crisp the dark scenes, or blow out contrast when hitting home, hence probably doesn't have this dynamic contrast enhancement. Might be same with all A5 and earlier based devices (ie they don't have that feature to expose the bug in disabling the feature).
Mbman81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:17 AM   #23
syd430

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenB14 View Post
Taking this and what else I have read about it I highly doubt that it is a fault and more so just the behavior of the iPad's display/back light.
As my post above, this was confirmed to be a power management driver issue on certain lines of laptops. I am able to replicate the issue *exactly* as the OP has shown on my laptop if I enable a certain power management driver.

Also, now that i go back and read this thread in full, I can see atleast 2 other people in this thread have also independently suggested that this is likely a power management issue within iOS.

I am willing to bet my left nut that this is not a hardware issue.

Edit: just reread your post and it seems that you were agreeing with me. Sorry mate!

Last edited by syd430; Nov 6, 2012 at 09:26 AM.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:46 AM   #24
maxwellr
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post

Exactly! Even android devices with tegra3 cpu's have this. This is called 'smart dimming'.

Though I still believe there is a serious quality problems with iPad4's screen. Light leakage, uneven backlight and tint, dead pixels...
maxwellr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:57 AM   #25
StevenB14
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellr View Post
Though I still believe there is a serious quality problems with iPad4's screen. Light leakage, uneven backlight and tint, dead pixels...
Same quality issues with every iPad release it would seem.

I had endless issues with my iPad 3 and ended up just getting a refund. This time round I've been lucky.
StevenB14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad