Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

groundstrike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2006
As the subject states I'm looking to create a development setup with a 27" 2012 iMac and 2 Thunderbolt displays. I'm hesitant because I've got an inkling that with this new display tech that the Thunderbolt display will see an update in the near future. Is there any merit in this line of thinking or should I just go forward with the current TBolt displays?

Thanks in advance.

Raima

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2010
As the subject states I'm looking to create a development setup with a 27" 2012 iMac and 2 Thunderbolt displays. I'm hesitant because I've got an inkling that with this new display tech that the Thunderbolt display will see an update in the near future. Is there any merit in this line of thinking or should I just go forward with the current TBolt displays?

Thanks in advance.

What do you claim as "near"?

and what is your "inkling" based off?

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I agree. My guess is that it'll get a redesign to look like the new iMacs, have the same display technology (less glare), and support USB 3.0.

I'd peg it at releasing in the December time frame (at the earliest), or March (at the latest). But I literally don't have anything to back that up... just a guess! :)

LachlanH

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
You could always get the iMac and then just wait for the TB Display to get updated. You don't HAVE to buy them all at the same time. (Unless you do for work/tax reasons, in which case I would wait)

Mike Valmike

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2012
Chandler, Arizona

Thanks in advance.

The only relevant info we've seen so far on this suggests that the 27" panel yields are low, so we may not see a standalone TB display update until the supply of 27" iMacs normalizes. Could be a while. Or it might be in January, nobody outside Apple really knows yet.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
All I hope is that apple fixes the height different between the 27in iMac and thunderbolt display

I doubt that would happen as it isn't considered a "problem" per se since they were never meant to be the same height to begin with. But, I can see that being an annoyance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.