Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MightyWhite

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
Oxford UK
Hello...

Crucial has ram for the new iMacs and I plan on getting a 27" so while I am waiting I will order some ram and the trackpad (Get the mouse with the computer)

My question is as it comes with 2 X 4gb sticks... options:

1) buy 2 X 4gb to total = 16gb (with the 2X4 in there)
2) Buy 2 X 8gb to total = 16gb So I can add up to 32 at a later date...

My question is if I get 2 X 8gb can this go in with the 2 X 4gb to total 24gb?
Can I buy just 1 8gb stick for now to total 16gb

I heard its not great to have different RAM sizes but I have searched and cant find a difinitive answer and you guys seem a lot more savvy than me...

Cheers

Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I upgraded my 2011 27" from 8GB ( I took it up at purchase date due to a deal) to 16GB by adding in 2 more 4GB sticks from Crucial. Since the new stock Imacs come with 8GB already, 2X4GB sticks should be enough. I can't see you needing more than that really, I do a lot of video and photographic work on my ( I7 3.4GHZ 2GB VRAM) iMac, and it never pages out at all. The only app that really does use all the RAM and all the VRAM is X-Plane, but that eats all the available resources anyway.

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
It's only really bad to have different RAM sizes if you mess with the dual channel. So long as the 2 8GB sticks are next to each other horizontally 24GB will be no problem at all.

I'm no expert on the matter but from everything I've heard this is the case. At the very least, even if somehow I'm wrong, the extra 8GB would more than make-up for the loss in power from messing with the amounts.

But yeah, from what I know, you'd be fine to add 16GB to the 8 already present.

MightyWhite

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
Oxford UK
Thanks Both

I will just go for 2 X 4gb - I will not be doing too much other that the usual so no point spending the cash on overkill.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.