Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Have you chosen not to upgrade your iPhone to iOS 5 because of Google Maps?

• Yes, Google Maps can't be replaced by Apple Maps at this point.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • No, the other new features more than makes up for the loss of Google Maps.

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • No, Apple Maps is good enough to replace Google Maps.

Votes: 31 55.4%

• Total voters

Lindberg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Denmark, Aarhus
I have not upgraded my iPhone 4 because the loss of Google Maps is a dealbreaker for me. But how many of you have done the same?

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Google maps will always be better than anything Apple can come up with. Google is king of maps!:cool:

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Google maps will always be better than anything Apple can come up with. Google is king of maps!:cool:

Maybe. But I like apple maps better because it is more accurate in my area and the details of the maps is better. I like the look of maps better than I did google maps. There is not that much difference between the two.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
I'm liking the new Apple maps much better. Mostly because I've noticed multiple instances where Google was using old outdated information whereas Apple's Maps was more up to date and accurate. Also, the turn by turn navigation and Siri integration is really good and it's something that's used all the time when using the app. And it uses vector instead of bitmaps so zooming in and out and general map rendering is significantly faster than the old slow one in iOS5. Come to think of it, that alone is one reason I can't stand to use iOS5 maps right now. I was doing some comparisons on my wife's 3GS on iOS6 versus her iPad 1 on iOS 5 and the iOS5 Maps felt dog slow.

Im also not surprised about the good Maps data. I live in the U.S. where Apple seems to have done a really good job with Maps data along with China. I think it was a deliberate decision to focus on these two countries for various reasons. The U.K. is where it seems to lag behind. Not sure about Denmark. But if you're in the U.S. you're actually missing out on a better app by holding onto iOS5 in pretty much every way.

diegoesk

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2010
I use ios5 because my power button broke. Thus I needed the jailbreak to turn my phone off.

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
My opinion is that people really have their head in the sand in regards to Google Maps on iOS.

The rule of thumb when travelling for me is - DON'T TRUST GOOGLE MAPS. Always get a good local map or you're screwed. Misplaced landmarks, incredibly poor directions (let's just say the route to and from Monteverde, Costa Rica almost had me stuck on the side of a mountain).

For local maps (read: North American), I haven't had any issues with Google or Apple.

Also, the bottom line is that Google was never going to assist in updating the Maps application on iOS. We would have been forever stuck with the very simple interface, lack of turn-by-turn directions, etc.

For these reasons I have no issues with Apple Maps. They are just as good (read: just as unreliable) as Google Maps but have slightly better looking Maps and include turn-by-turn. With Apple fully in control of the Maps app now, there is more possibilities of great new features.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
I use ios5 because my power button broke. Thus I needed the jailbreak to turn my phone off.

No you don't. Available in ios 5 and 6: go to settings, general, assecibility, assistive touch, turn it on ;)

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I've seen no reason to upgrade to iOS 6, google maps or not. (updated to 6 on my iPad 2 - waste of a good JailBreak).

My 4 and 4S will remain on 5.1.1. Plan to get a 5S next years, so I'll deal with iOS 7 at that point.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
google map is too good.. can't change to an uncertainty.

Also, travelling would be better with google maps rather than apple maps

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I already knew there were a lot of problems with the Apple maps so I've kept my iPhone 4 on iOS 5 for now. My iPad is on iOS 6 so I can report errors and keep abreast of any updates.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I've used Apple Maps about a dozen times since iOS 6 officially came out. I have had one routing problem (instead of having me take a left out of a parking lot, it had me take a right and go around the block, why, I am still not sure?). Otherwise it has been spot on me. I even used it this weekend to go somewhere I had been probably a dozen times over the last 5-6 years (just rare enough that I always get a little worried I am going to take a wrong time) and instead of my normal way it took me a different route that was actually better! Frankly, being able to ask Siri for directions, and then getting turn by turn without touching a button is worth it to me..... Previously I used MotionX, but having full integration with Siri is awesome (the ability to ask directions for a business by name and not address is awesome).

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I have not upgraded my iPhone 4 because the loss of Google Maps is a dealbreaker for me. But how many of you have done the same?

You do know you can still use Google Maps on iOS6, right? It runs silky smooth on my iPhone 5. It's leagues better than even the old Maps app.

Though even so, Apple Maps has been fine for me. It even helped me out of a bind when my car's OnStar navigation got confused over a construction closure.

dk206

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2012
London
My opinion is that people really have their head in the sand in regards to Google Maps on iOS.

The rule of thumb when travelling for me is - DON'T TRUST GOOGLE MAPS. Always get a good local map or you're screwed. Misplaced landmarks, incredibly poor directions (let's just say the route to and from Monteverde, Costa Rica almost had me stuck on the side of a mountain).

For local maps (read: North American), I haven't had any issues with Google or Apple.

Also, the bottom line is that Google was never going to assist in updating the Maps application on iOS. We would have been forever stuck with the very simple interface, lack of turn-by-turn directions, etc.

For these reasons I have no issues with Apple Maps. They are just as good (read: just as unreliable) as Google Maps but have slightly better looking Maps and include turn-by-turn. With Apple fully in control of the Maps app now, there is more possibilities of great new features.

You sir, very misinformed.
I'm not even going bother typing it up one here. Go search the whole google and apple rejecting gmaps fiasco online. But don't make false assumptions and put them up as if they are facts. Apple was greedy far too greedy and the compromise was us, consumers having to ditch a perfectly working maps app.

Deasnutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011

Seriously

Matthew9559

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
Cleveland, OH
Hell no. You can always just use the mobile site anyways. The maps app was useless without turn by turn navigation anyways to me. I just used MotionX GPS.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Coming from Android phones the past 4 years, I am still shocked at how awful Apples maps are. The GPS is even worse as it shows hardly any details of what's around you or things like gas stations, restaurants and ATMs along the way. Is there anyway to use the satellite view while you are using GPS? I can't seem to.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Yes. Public transport routes aren't available on Apple Maps.

additionally, I'm not fond by the whole UI on 6.0. Perfectly happy with 5.1.1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.