Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
One thing I like about Apple is the quality of their products, and I maintain this quality by keeping it in mint condition.

I received my new Mac Mini today (specs in sig) and unboxed it. Was about to upgrade the RAM and saw an imperfection above the power button. It almost looks like it has been dropped slightly and has a flat edge where the aluminium has been indented.

As I have been waiting ages for this, I would have let it pass, but it bothers me that you can actually see the imperfection from the top as well as the back.

Contacted Apple who will send me a replacement within 7 days as priority, but am I being fussy here??

IMG_1087.jpg

IMG_1088.jpg

IMG_1089.jpg

IMG_1090.jpg

pollaxe

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2010
West of England
If it bothers you, then it's an issue.

Are you being fussy? Possibly, yes, but if my Mini had damage on it like that, I'd probably do something about it too. :)

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
It's the old we're there's smoke there's fire.

If what you can see is messed up what about the things you cannot see.

If it looks like impact damage I would swap it.

wgnoyes

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
If they're happy to send you a replacement, let them. You spent too much on it not to be 200% delighted with what you got.

Westyfield2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Bath, UK.
No, you're not being fussy.

Apple charge a premium for their products, and I expect them to be 100% perfect.

If it's reduced then fair enough - I've bought some stuff off the Dell outlet before (business grade Latitude laptops) listed as "scratch and dent" with equal damage in them... was listed as half price due to the damage, and still had the 3yr NBD warranty.

Garden4Gods

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2012
You're not being fussy.

Considering the cost of the Mini, an imperfection like that is unacceptable.

I don't know how that got through QC, unless it happened afterwards somehow.

enroh

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
I would ask for a replacement - as another poster wrote...its what you cannot see. Better safe than sorry.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Thanks for the reassurance! Looks like most others would do the same!
It does look like impact damage, like its been dropped very slightly on its corner which is whats caused the very flat indentation. I doubt anything would have happened or come loose inside, but as you say, you never know!

Couldn't have happened during transit as the box itself was in perfect condition.

Ive packed the system away and will go ahead with a replacement. I don't want to turn this unit on or mess about with it - doesn't seem fair if Im returning it anyway! They will probably repackage it in a new outer shell and stick it on the refurb store I guess? Maybe someone else will get lucky and pick up a new 2012 server cheaper ;)

Now for another week's wait! :(

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2012
UK
I would send it back too, but I am fussy like that :)

Sorry you have to wait another week but it will all be worth it when a new shiny :apple: Mac Mini turns up :D

rkahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
Call AppleCare and talk to a CSR and tell them your story. I'm pretty much an early adopted for all apple products, so waiting for your item twice is not fun. I actually have a defective unit also, but I talked with a senior advisor who is going to mail me my Mac mini before I mail back the defective mini.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Call AppleCare and talk to a CSR and tell them your story. I'm pretty much an early adopted for all apple products, so waiting for your item twice is not fun. I actually have a defective unit also, but I talked with a senior advisor who is going to mail me my Mac mini before I mail back the defective mini.

I have spoken to them. As I have my MacBook I dont need a Mini urgently. They said they would get a replacement out to me within 7 days as priority and collect the current mini within 3-5 days.
I would have tried taking it to a store but since they usually only have base models and I upgraded the CPU I doubt they would have any in my spec to replace with.
TBH I dont really want to set up the new mini and then have to repeat everything again - I guess I could set it up and create a clone onto external HDD, but I'd rather just wait for the next one - hopefully that one will be OK!

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
So let me get this straight. You came to a forum of whiners and asked them if they would whine and get a replacement over something as small as that?

I don't know what kind of answers you'd expect to get other than get a replacement.

Honestly, I tuck my mini away so I don't even see it. Unless the hardware breaks or the software doesn't work as intended and I need to pull it out to check up on it, I would have forgotten about that tiny cosmetic defect within a few days.

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
So let me get this straight. You came to a forum of whiners and asked them if they would whine and get a replacement over something as small as that?

I don't know what kind of answers you'd expect to get other than get a replacement.

Honestly, I tuck my mini away so I don't even see it. Unless the hardware breaks or the software doesn't work as intended and I need to pull it out to check up on it, I would have forgotten about that tiny cosmetic defect within a few days.

I'm with this guy, that wouldn't bother me in the least. My Mini is tucked towards the back and it would never be noticed and probably forgotten.

macman05

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
I find any defect in a brand new Mac Mini to be totally unacceptable. If I were in your shoes I'd return it.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
Go to the iPhone subforum. People are swapping devices for stuff you wouldn't imagine, such as a 1mm tiny little kind of scratch only visible under a magnifying glass.

So if it bothers you... (it would probably bother me tbh) go get it replaced.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
As long as something works properly, I would have thought, "Who cares?"

Dunno why, but (going by the responses to this thread) a lot do. Thankfully there are a less fussy few who have a life......

I'm with this guy, that wouldn't bother me in the least. My Mini is tucked towards the back and it would never be noticed and probably forgotten.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
As long as something works properly, I would have thought, "Who cares?"

Dunno why, but (going by the responses to this thread) a lot do. Thankfully there are a less fussy few who have a life......

Excuse me?
Ive spent just shy of £1k on a new unit which is supposed to be machined from a block of aluminium, from a company who strive to deliver goods of impeccable quality.
Ive received something which has clearly been dropped or knocked somewhere along the line before being packaged. I had second thoughts to begin with, but the more I think of it, the more I'm glad I'm having it replaced. I shouldn't have to keep any kind of defect with a new product - Apple appreciate this, which is why I have been offered a straight replacement without quibble.
If you, on the other hand, are fine with receiving a less then 100% quality item, so be it. To each their own.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
You should absolutely get a replacement! If that is impact damage who knows what damage that impact may have done inside...

In general, computers are full of solid state parts and if they are working, they will continue to work.

Computers are not like cars where you can have some "hidden" damage that can get progressively worse and cause a catastrophic failure.

The two exceptions in the Mini's case might be the hard drive and the fan. I wouldn't worry about the hard drive since it's a laptop hard drive, and they are designed to withstand impacts from being dropped. If it's working now and not making any unusual noises, I would expect it to keep working as long as any other new hard drive. I wouldn't worry about the fan either since the blades etc. are so lightweight that they can probably withstand enormous shocks without anything bad happening to them. Besides, both the hard drive and fan are cheap and easy to replace so if anything eventually does go wrong it should be no problem.

eutexian

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2012
Mapperley, Nottingham UK
I wouldn't be happy with that. The Mini is not a cheap device and is sold on its design and good looks as much as its performance. If it were me i would have returned it immediately. I have no doubt that it will end up in the refurb store or sold by the store as a factory 2nd. Someone else can live with the damage.. and be happy with the discount it gave them.

everyone wins.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
the mobo has solder joints. if the mini was dropped fully assembled a solder joint can have a micro fracture that kills the machine off in 2 ,3 , 4 days weeks months. so since you the new owner does not know when the shell was bumped (empty or full) send it back.

simple question simple answer nuff said

Note ; this answer applies to those that want the op to keep it.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
the mobo has solder joints. if the mini was dropped fully assembled a solder joint can have a micro fracture that kills the machine off in 2 ,3 , 4 days weeks months. so since you the new owner does not know when the shell was bumped (empty or full) send it back.

simple question simple answer nuff said

Note ; this answer applies to those that want the op to keep it.

You're assuming this was dropped after it was assembled when it doesn't even look dropped at all. Metal is not perfect and it could very well be chipped or flaked during the machining process - but that doesn't mean the computer was tossed around like a ball, dropped then shipped.

Just admit it, you guys are whiners. 80% of this forum now whines about every little thing and 90% of them are cosmetic related stuff. It's hard to even find quality threads on this forum any more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.