Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbarney

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Wondering if anyone else might be seeing this issue, or maybe I'm missing something. I can see the location of all my iDevices via iCloud.com's "find my iPhone" except for my recently purchased 2012 Mac Mini. The Mini shows up on the list as an active device, seen by iCloud, but there is no location reported. I have an iMac at the same location and it's reporting location just fine. Can anything think of something I may have forgot to enable on the Mini?

Thanks!

rkahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
It needs to be adjusted under system preferences on your mac mini. Click security&privacy tab. Enable location services.

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2012
UK
Am I right in thinking you need to be connected to WiFi for it to work, or at least be more accurate?

tbarney

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
I have location services enabled under the privacy tab. If I disable location services, iCloud reports its turned off. I enable location services again and icloud see the device but no location is still reported. I have this configure just like my iMac. I'm stumped.

jmcgeejr

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have location services enabled under the privacy tab. If I disable location services, iCloud reports its turned off. I enable location services again and icloud see the device but no location is still reported. I have this configure just like my iMac. I'm stumped.

Do you happen to have wifi turned off?

tbarney

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
My Mini is not attached via WIFI but is GigE attached to the network. My iMac is WIFI attached. I'll give WIFI a try on the Mini.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
It has to be connected via wifi or it won't work. Basically it used your wifi network and others around it to see where it is. Using Ethernet it can't see other wifi networks to get its location

tbarney

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Switching to WIFI didn't fix, still no location being reported. Still can see the Mini as an active device. icloud defiantly can communicate with the mini because I can issue the "play sound" command from icloud and it plays on the mini. hmmmm.

tbarney

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Restarting the machine make a difference?

I've restarted multiple times and no difference. I switched back to a wired connection too. I can't see how WIFI vs. wired should make a difference. None of my idevices can attached to any of the other WIFI networks in my area anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.